aberdeen-music

Bass drum tuning?

Drummerboy

Hi all

Right ive just taken delivery of my new kit - its a DW collectors series in a cool Oyster wrap finish. Its 13 inch by 6inch short stack tom with a 16inch by 13inch short stack hanging floor. But it has a huge 26inch bass drum! Tried it for a couple of minuets when i got it but ive yet to have a play with it. It came with a DW bass drum pillow which is handy. So any tips on how to tune such a massive bass drum?:up:

That is going to disembowl someone with the punch that is going pack. On the damping side of things this months Drummer mag reviews a Premier kit and it comes with a foam insert that you cut to size. Looks like it is supplied by RWS and its called 'Flexi Kick bass drum harmonic control'. As for tuning the monster it depends on what sound you are after. I always had foam in my 22" Tama birch kick until I got a Super Kick 1 batter head. Then I took it out as the Super Kick killed all the unwanted overtone and gave it that nice fat sound I was after.

That is going to disembowl someone with the punch that is going pack. On the damping side of things this months Drummer mag reviews a Premier kit and it comes with a foam insert that you cut to size. Looks like it is supplied by RWS and its called 'Flexi Kick bass drum harmonic control'. As for tuning the monster it depends on what sound you are after. I always had foam in my 22" Tama birch kick until I got a Super Kick 1 batter head. Then I took it out as the Super Kick killed all the unwanted overtone and gave it that nice fat sound I was after.

Hey thanks for the tip. This is my second kit with a 26inch bass - the other one I got last year and have still never played it as I dont have cases for it! That one is a Premier series Gen X kit that was specially made for the Zutons drummer but it never got to him - I think he changed endorsements from Premier. So I got it - its really cool in a wicked safari wrap. But yeah back to the DW, it came with a DW bass drum pillow that is fixed to the inside of the shell with Velcro and touches both heads. I only managed to play around with it for 5 min when I got it but we have band practice tonight so im going in early to play around with tuning and see how it goes! In terms of sound, I know it might be a given due to the size of the bass drum, but I want the Bonham sound as it really works well with that size of bass drum. His bass drum was not as deep as mine though as mine is 18inches deep! Will see how I get on tonight:up:

Hey thanks for the tip. This is my second kit with a 26inch bass - the other one I got last year and have still never played it as I dont have cases for it! That one is a Premier series Gen X kit that was specially made for the Zutons drummer but it never got to him - I think he changed endorsements from Premier. So I got it - its really cool in a wicked safari wrap. But yeah back to the DW, it came with a DW bass drum pillow that is fixed to the inside of the shell with Velcro and touches both heads. I only managed to play around with it for 5 min when I got it but we have band practice tonight so im going in early to play around with tuning and see how it goes! In terms of sound, I know it might be a given due to the size of the bass drum, but I want the Bonham sound as it really works well with that size of bass drum. His bass drum was not as deep as mine though as mine is 18inches deep! Will see how I get on tonight:up:

Hang on....you got a Premier kit only a year ago, which you haven't played yet o_O (apparently because of not having cases o_Oo_O).....and now you'ev bought a DW? o_Oo_Oo_O

Furthermore, a DW that sounds very much like the Premier kit you still haven't used o_Oo_Oo_O

Isn't the whole point of buying instruments, ye know, to play them?

Sounds like you've got some lovely kit, but this still strikes me as mightily odd behaviour.

Hang on....you got a Premier kit only a year ago, which you haven't played yet o_O (apparently because of not having cases o_Oo_O).....and now you'ev bought a DW? o_Oo_Oo_O

Furthermore, a DW that sounds very much like the Premier kit you still haven't used o_Oo_Oo_O

Isn't the whole point of buying instruments, ye know, to play them?

Sounds like you've got some lovely kit, but this still strikes me as mightily odd behaviour.

Agreed. Where do you get the money in the current climate!! And what is the damn point?