aberdeen-music

R&B Music: I've had enough

modman

I'll get some goose-grease

....actually....I'll pass!

I'd forgotten R&B had an Inverness shop, 'til it was mentioned earlier.

I remember Bruce Miller's having one on George St, then on Loch St. And their other one on Holburn St. When I think about it Holburn St was pretty well-provided for in them thar days.....Bruce Miller's, Middleton's Music, Alexanders, Thistle Records and Holburn Hi-Fi.

Changed days....all the more reason to cherish the 2 we've been discussing.

Toilet ducks would be much better....cuter for a start, and they'd take up less room. However training them to hold towels etc might be problematic.

Teach them to fix amps. They can't be any worse and less trustworthy than the crooks he already paid to do it.

A toilet attendant who fixes amps is one I'd actually tip for once.

I hate the instant pounce when you walk in the door, makes you feel like you have been instantly marked shoplifter.

lol, I Doubt anyone would get out of R&B with a guitar stuffed up their T-shirt :p

but if its a shop with items that fit in your pocket (especially cargo's) i think the owners/managers/security get wary....

A friend of mine took an amp in there a few years ago that was crackly. Probably just needed the switches cleaned, and it needed a new jack input. They fixed it and charged him about 150 for it, it worked for about 2 weeks and then stopped working completely. When he took it back they told him it wasn't their problem and they wouldn't even look at it.

I've never had any problems with the place personally, but some of the staff do tend to have a bit of a superiority complex and positively scoff if you ask them any questions about things that "real guitar players" should know. Though that said I went in a couple of months ago with a guitar I'd bought from them because I didn't know how to adjust the truss rod, and the manager did it for me there and then with no fuss, and gave me a step by step on how to do it myself, so I was pretty pleased with that. I still felt a bit of a tit though, I've been playing guitar for 15 years, I should probably know how to do that myself.

I still felt a bit of a tit though, I've been playing guitar for 15 years, I should probably know how to do that myself.

I don't know how to do it, I think an allen key is involved. But if I wanted to do it I'd probably just google it rather than embarrass myself by going into a shop and asking. There's bound to be videos on youtube showing how to do it.

There is, but I still couldn't figure it out. I don't even really know how to set up the action and the intonation and all that stuff.:O I just get Fatboy to do it! I know how to play the thing, not how to fix it. I know how to drive a car as well, doesn't mean I know how to replace the oil filter.

You have to be pretty ham-fisted to mess it up. We're talking 1/4 turn at a time, loosen it to let the strings pull more relief into the neck, tighten it to straighten up. Tune up, let it settle. If it needs more than a whole turn then there's probably something else wrong and you should stop and seek advice.

Perhaps it's less of a problem on bass (where most of my experience lies), given the larger sizes of everything concerned.

Guest idol_wild
anyone want guitars set up or anything give me a shout

i have excellent customer service :)

Do you actually charge?

Having my guitar set up by someone who knows what they're doing, and can tailor to my own needs and string preferences, is a service I'd happily pay someone independently for. I had Scott Blessed set up my Fender Jaguar last year and it played slick as fuck after that. He did it for free, but I'd have paid for the service.

i would make a small charge but i have no idea how much a proper set up costs from a shop,

id say id do it for 20

all i do when i set up a guitar is, adjust action, truss-rod (if needed), intonation, pickup height, dry solder joints, and most wiring

setting up floyd systems is a doddle aswell,

i dont have exprience with bigsbys or jaguar style trems, but im a technically minded person and work things out nae bother