aberdeen-music

R&B Music: I've had enough

modman

I have never had a problem in RnB at all. I find all staff very helpful and always willing to offer sound advice and generally good customer service.

I have never however had anything repaired but last time I was in I spent about 25 minutes looking at guitar straps to the point where most of the staff where mocking me for taking so long and for playing my guitar so low... I liked the banter!

I just wish I had more money to go in there regularly to buy new equipment.

I do feel for the fella with the non working amp though, sounds a bit of a nightmare.

I have been a customer of R&B since they first opened , I've known Ross and Bill since before the shop opened , shit , I was even in a band with Steve (different bands with both steve's actually , moxham and craig , oh and I was in a band with Andi Watson too , I get around 8-) ) for a while :up:

All the staff over the years have been nothing but helpful and are always up for a laugh , I don't always agree with some of the prices but a discount has always been offered if asked for , and if you still don't like the price you can always look somewhere else.

All in I would say it's a good shop with good stock levels including all sorts of obscure bitties and if they don't have something they can usually get it fairly quickly (unless it's a wide black leather fender guitar strap , don't ask o_O )

.........also great free coffee 8-) ....or is that just me ?(

I have been a customer of R&B since they first opened , I've known Ross and Bill since before the shop opened , shit , I was even in a band with Steve (different bands with both steve's actually , moxham and craig , oh and I was in a band with Andi Watson too , I get around 8-) ) for a while :up:

All the staff over the years have been nothing but helpful and are always up for a laugh , I don't always agree with some of the prices but a discount has always been offered if asked for , and if you still don't like the price you can always look somewhere else.

All in I would say it's a good shop with good stock levels including all sorts of obscure bitties and if they don't have something they can usually get it fairly quickly (unless it's a wide black leather fender guitar strap , don't ask o_O )

.........also great free coffee 8-) ....or is that just me ?(

Sounds like you're getting treated like a mate rather than a customer who the staff don't know, tbh.

I use R&B sometimes, and Bruce Miller's sometimes......no problems with either (got my early 60s Jazzmaster from R&B for about a tenth of what it's now worth a couple of decades ago!). But I've never had anything in for repair at either place...only buying stuff new. I've alays found the advice sound, and the staff cheerful/helpful. The downside is the cost, but overheads/staff have to be paid, and I'd be disappointed if either or both shops disappeared because of the internet.

I use R&B sometimes, and Bruce Miller's sometimes......no problems with either (got my early 60s Jazzmaster from R&B for about a tenth of what it's now worth a couple of decades ago!). But I've never had anything in for repair at either place...only buying stuff new. I've alays found the advice sound, and the staff cheerful/helpful. The downside is the cost, but overheads/staff have to be paid, and I'd be disappointed if either or both shops disappeared because of the internet.

I make a point of buying my gear from local, independent stores unless it's something that they simply can't get for me.

Off topic slightly, but why to the majority of stores only carry budget/intermediate bass gear? One store locally has in stock TWO Schecter Synyster Gates signature guitars, but not one decent quality bass head?!?!

Guest idol_wild
Off topic slightly, but why to the majority of stores only carry budget/intermediate bass gear? One store locally has in stock TWO Schecter Synyster Gates signature guitars, but not one decent quality bass head?!?!

I assume it's a simple case of supply and demand.

It may have changed, but when I worked in the trade there was fuck all to be made from high end gear, so it was basically a huge amount of cash laid out for very little return. When you can buy a starter bass for 13 or whatever trade, it's easy to see why shops focus on those.

Are you suggesting that when you enter the shop, you want staff to acknowledge you and approach you asking if you want assistance?

Because that's the last thing I want when I go into a shop. If I want assistance from staff, I ask for it.

i'm a wee bit like that. Sometimes I just want to stroll round looking at items etc. Saying that, I generally get a nod when I come in to R&B, so at least I know that they know I'm in the shop if you know what I mean.

Are you suggesting that when you enter the shop, you want staff to acknowledge you and approach you asking if you want assistance?

Because that's the last thing I want when I go into a shop. If I want assistance from staff, I ask for it.

Alot of retail outlets train their staff to do this now, because they seem to think its what the customer wants. I've never been asked in a guitar shop though, and that seems right to me. I imagine a massive proportion of the people who come through the door are just browsers, so to pester every single one would be a bit of a waste of time.

It may have changed, but when I worked in the trade there was fuck all to be made from high end gear, so it was basically a huge amount of cash laid out for very little return. When you can buy a starter bass for 13 or whatever trade, it's easy to see why shops focus on those.

I find it puzzling then why a shop would choose to stock two 1k guitars with a very limited appeal?!?!?!?! Surely they'd have more chance of shifting a Fender P-bass that those shitty A7X guitars?

Guest idol_wild
I find it puzzling then why a shop would choose to stock two 1k guitars with a very limited appeal?!?!?!?! Surely they'd have more chance of shifting a Fender P-bass that those shitty A7X guitars?

Not everyone has the same equipment preferences.

Yeah, granted, but they've had them for months and months! The point I'm trying to make is that despite best intentions it's really hard sometimes to support local shops when they make bizarre decisions! They refused to get me in a 500 bass head that I was going to buy, not just try out, and yet they stock high end guitars with a small niche market that they evidently can't shift. Just can't fathom their wisdom!

BTW, I'm not talking about R&B!

I actively avoid shops where I have experienced being accosted by staff.

See i think thats grossly stupid. As long as there's no persistance from the sales staff it isn't/shouldn't be a problem. When you've been in sales for a long time you do get to know who is and isn't just browsing and pick who you approach on that basis but sales staff have to learn somehow, it's not just a gift or a given and it certainly isn't easy.

It's funny because whenever sales staff avoid approaching customers there are accusations of "well they looked like they couldn't be bothered" or "they were too engrossed in cleaning up or moving a TV". As a customer you can't have it both ways, but there can be a happy medium. There's nothing wrong with letting someone wander around for a bit and then approaching them with a polite "Can i help you at all" and if the customer says they're just browsing i usually follow that up with "well if you do need a hand please feel free to give me a shout". You'd be surprised how many people suddenly need a hand as soon as i start walking away.

I've not spent an enormous amount of time in R&B to be honest, but when I've been there, staff have been friendly and helpful on the whole. I bought my bass amp from them and was helped by the guy with long ginger hair (think he's Sloth on here), who showed me a few different amps and what they did etc. Let me use any bass off the wall I wanted to try the amps out.

Yip thats me. I'm not there now though.

Someone else said something about staff ignoring them...there was a few of the part time staff that used to be really bad for this but I wouldn't have thought this would be a problem now.

I hope the situation with amp gets resolved.

Guest idol_wild
See i think thats grossly stupid.

Seriously: it isn't. I absolutely fucking hate shopping, and I certainly don't want to be accosted when I enter a shop. By anyone.

For me, it's on a par with these bathroom attendants that you find in nightclub toilets. I just want to urinate, wash my hands, and leave. Without some guy asking if I need assistance drying my hands.

Likewise, when I enter a shop, I just want to urinate, wash my hands and leave.

Seriously: it isn't. I absolutely fucking hate shopping, and I certainly don't want to be accosted when I enter a shop. By anyone.

For me, it's on a par with these bathroom attendants that you find in nightclub toilets. I just want to urinate, wash my hands, and leave. Without some guy asking if I need assistance drying my hands.

It's just people doing their jobs Phill. Don't go shopping.

Make sure to let me know who you are if/when you ever come into R&B when I'm working and I'll make sure to leave you alone. :up:

I usually just go with a "Hey, how's things?" affair until I take a wander up to the back and - generally - just stand by and make myself available to help out if someone approaches me. I'll ask if folk need a hand if they look a bit lost or really curious about something. You can generally tell. :)

I hate the instant pounce when you walk in the door, makes you feel like you have been instantly marked shoplifter. Conversely I also hate when you make it clear you need assistance by looking longingly at the congregation of chimps huddled in a corner and they show no sign of moving to assist. Keeping an attentive eye on a customer who is obviously doing more than merely having a swift browse and responding efficiently to their need for help when obviously required is my mark of a decent sales person.

Aye, that's why I never go to Slaters. They're fucking horrendous in there for ambushing customers when they walk in the door.

That may be true but I would say that when I was quite a bit larger and an awkward size to fit for a suit, the staff in Slaters went well above the call of duty to help me find something I was happy with.

It doesn't take much effort to say no thanks when a shop assistant asks if you need any help.