aberdeen-music

R&B Music: I've had enough

modman

Dude who fixed it was Dennis Marshall - link to his website is already ITT.

He is the boy. Made both my Sound City 50 plus and Boogie 400+ sound absolutely golden.

I got a Mesa valve from Dennis that was bad and cause my most recent problem and he replaced it totally free of charge. He lets you watch him work (a testament to his ability) and if you organise it before hand will fix it there and then - handy if you live where we do.

I actually came across this again the other day on Mogwai's site, and thought it pertinent

"These microphones are for 'high-end applications;'"

"I'm sorry I can't fix your stuff, there's a professional musician bringing in stuff I have to fix first"

"This delay pedal, I've not fixed it properly so I've not charged you but as long as you're careful, it should be fine"

"What is it?" (When presented with a MOTU 828 soundcard for repair.....one of the most popular soundcards in the world)

"I'm only going to sell this bass to someone who would really play it"

Just some of the comments made to members of Mogwai and their producer Tony Doogan in music stores in Glasgow in the last year or three.

What kind of service do they think they're providing for us musicians?

I mean, a few months ago we had to pay off and cancel our (substantial) account with a Glasgow/National music store for the unbelievably rude treatment shown towards me (Barry) when I had to go and pick up some pretty expensive and essential equipment we needed for the ATP festival.

Needless to say I went into a kind of rage I've only ever suffered twice in my life and began chasing the cunt around the shop, shouting, swearing and spitting hateful words at his face to alleviate my anger. Apparently my eyes were bulging from their sockets and I was pacing around like a caged tiger.

Aristotle said,

"Anyone can become angry-that is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way-this is not easy"

He's right of course, but it was hard not to be furious with the arsepiece in the shop with his superiority complex and delusions of adequacy, treating me, the paying customer, with abject contempt.

Why would any customer stick around if that's the kind of experience he expects when parting with his hard earned cash?

What irks me more is the fact that I'm a 29 year old professional musician with some sort of confidence in my job, but transfer that same scenario to a 13 year old kid, and he'll be crippled with self doubt and feel like he can never go back to that (or any?) music store because of the total lack of encouragement he is to feel because of some minimum wage prick's unhelpful, foolish comments.

I'm not here to fix the situation. That is the store manager's remit, but I do wish that this supersciliousness which exists in the music store assistant's head would vanish like Bin Laden immediately. We don't need that, it's not helpful. If you don't like the job, get a new one, dickhead.

I rest my case.

Barry

p.s. I can't resist it. Every single bad incident was in the Glasgow store of Sound Control. You'd do well to avoid this place. Fuckwits. (Except the two chaps I like who work in there, no offence to you two).

Guest Bob Double Jack

cant believe i wasted 25 minutes reading this. hilarious. i think it should be made into a film, like a david v goliath story, of one mans annoyance etc etc.

i love r&b, and i buy everything from there (not my weekly shopping) but all my guitar related stuff. have done for years, and will continue to do so. i refuse to spend anything in a music shop whose most profitable part is their coffee shop, and when i started out playing 20 years ago, Bruce millers customer service was shit. if only I'd had a local internet forum to vent my spleen on, they'd surely have gone out of business.

"can i have a set of d'addario xl 9's, a caramel shortbread and a vanilla latte please".

Modman loved R&B too, and bought all of his guitar equipment there too. This amounted to several thousands of pounds.

He was treated terribly by the management there, so he shared his experience with other local, music-minded people.

He is not a Bruce Miller's shill; in fact, R&B was his preference right up until Mingeticklergate. The relative profitability of the BM sandwich counter is entirely irrelevant.

Believe his story or don't (I and several other forum members can vouch for it), that's up to you. I for one have stopped shopping there, and the other Deportees have done likewise.

Guest Bob Double Jack
Modman loved R&B too, and bought all of his guitar equipment there too. This amounted to several thousands of pounds.

He was treated terribly by the management there, so he shared his experience with other local, music-minded people.

He is not a Bruce Miller's shill; in fact, R&B was his preference right up until Mingeticklergate. The relative profitability of the BM sandwich counter is entirely irrelevant.

Believe his story or don't (I and several other forum members can vouch for it), that's up to you. I for one have stopped shopping there, and the other Deportees have done likewise.

I love how modman is being spoken about in the third person, as if he has passed away. If he called someone minge tickler during a discussion, no wonder he got nowhere. Fair enough, he may have had bad service at some point but it isnt going to get better by verbally abusing people. Plus, a comment about bm's cafe is no more irrelevant than some of the other shit on here.

I love how modman is being spoken about in the third person, as if he has passed away. If he called someone minge tickler during a discussion, no wonder he got nowhere. Fair enough, he may have had bad service at some point but it isnt going to get better by verbally abusing people. Plus, a comment about bm's cafe is no more irrelevant than some of the other shit on here.

I suppose you don't shop in Asda, John Lewis or any other supermarket or department store then. Grow up.

Guest Bob Double Jack

Ill post what i like. Opinions are like arseholes,everyone has them, just cause it isnt yours doesnt mean to say its not valid. Also, asda is a supermarket not a department store

i refuse to spend anything in a music shop whose most profitable part is their coffee shop, and when i started out playing 20 years ago, Bruce millers customer service was shit. if only I'd had a local internet forum to vent my spleen on, they'd surely have gone out of business.

"can i have a set of d'addario xl 9's, a caramel shortbread and a vanilla latte please".

Firstly they don't sell vanilla latte's and secondly you are talking out your arse mate!

Modman verbally abused no-one. Mingetickler was merely used as a jokey reference; he didnt actually go into the shop and call him that Reading comprehension FTW. You're not making a good job of contributing, sir.

This thread did not start out of a sinister plot to steal R&B's customers and ship them to BM. Modman has no link to either.

I like vanilla lattes though. Mmmm tasty treat.

Although we all know what the difference is between a supermarket and a department store through experience, if you were trying to explain the difference to someone who had just arrived from Mars it wouldn't be so easy.

Seems to me Bruce Millers has done a pretty good job of diversifying as times have changed. If they hadn't opened their cafes etc when people stopped renting TVs and the like then maybe there would only be one music shop in Aberdeen, and I don't think anyone would agree that that would be a good thing. Even if you shop exclusively at R & B, the lack of competition would of course lead to an increase in prices at the sole remaining shop.

Hi, Modman here, very much alive and well. How else should someone refer to someone else but in the manner by which Christy did? It would be somewhat strange for him to refer to me as I or you wouldn't it now. He could have used my real name I suppose but then that would be just the same. I believe what you meant was the fact that I was talked about in the past tense. Different thing entirely. Odd comment.

If you spent an entire 25 minutes reading this thread then how on earth did you come to the conclusion that I called Mingetickler Mingetickler to his face in his shop? That, I certainly did not.

Furthermore it wasn't simply the bad service that vexed me in this case. It was the fact that R&B Music rendered my amp unplayable then refused to accept any liability. The fact that they attempted to further rip me off by pretending the problem (that they supposedly couldn't hear) was caused by pre-amp valves, which they went to the trouble of replacing and attempted to charge me for. It was further compounded by the fact that they insulted me instore, and didn't bother responding to my letter of complaint. Plus they refused to serve me a cream-cheese bagel and coffee when I asked for one. Cunts.

I'm certainly not aware of my lauding Bruce Miller's at any stage during my posts. Your BM reference is therefore somewhat incongruous in the context of the discussion, which is, I believe, about R&B music. But feel free to start your own thread on the intrinsic problems of music stores that also sell sandwiches and hot drinks. I'm sure you'll get quite the response.

• Upvote 1