aberdeen-music

This is england 86

Steven Milne

If you read the news today and generally online there seems to be lots of people going MENTAL about last nights episode! (for those who havent seen it - i wont spoil it but those who have will know..)

I have to admit it was pretty disturbing for a TV show but i think it should be because it hits home that that kind of thing goes on all the time. It seemed very realistic as opposed to TV esque as youd expect from Shane Meadows and that suited the nature of what was being done. It was unpleasant to watch because it was a horrible act to commit.

My mind still wandered back to it today and couldnt get over in hindsight how bad it was.

So if it makes people think about it it must be a good thing.

I dont normally follow TV shows but I think overall TIS86 has been pretty strong and funny/sad in equal measure. The last 15 minutes of last night were brutal but really well shot with the flicking between the football and the other aspects. I think its been really well written so far and set up a cracking final episode.

What do others think?

If you read the news today and generally online there seems to be lots of people going MENTAL about last nights episode! (for those who havent seen it - i wont spoil it but those who have will know..)

I have to admit it was pretty disturbing for a TV show but i think it should be because it hits home that that kind of thing goes on all the time. It seemed very realistic as opposed to TV esque as youd expect from Shane Meadows and that suited the nature of what was being done. It was unpleasant to watch because it was a horrible act to commit.

My mind still wandered back to it today and couldnt get over in hindsight how bad it was.

So if it makes people think about it it must be a good thing.

I dont normally follow TV shows but I think overall TIS86 has been pretty strong and funny/sad in equal measure. The last 15 minutes of last night were brutal but really well shot with the flicking between the football and the other aspects. I think its been really well written so far and set up a cracking final episode.

What do others think?

I thought it was well done and i think the intent was to make it uncomfortable to watch for the viewer. It wasn't overly gratuitous either. I've definitely seen worse on television.

Honestly, i don't think i've enjoyed a TV program as much as TIE 86. The cinematography is brilliant. I loved the bit where Smell and Shaun were sitting on either side of the railing on the steps discussing their polar opposite feelings about Shaun's mums relationship with another character.

On the one hand it was powerful, well made art dealing with human savagery in an unsensational and truthful way.

On the other hand I don't think I ever want to see it again, because it is just too brutal for me to deal with another time, at the end I almost felt culpable. I can't put myself through that for what is TV entertainment. I had similar feelings with Marabou Stork Nightmares, I think its a great book, but I never want to go back to that headspace.

Last nights show did show the full seedy banality of evil, the domestic setting contributed to the versimilitude of the scene, it was good social art. That scene represents the suffering of uncounted thousands, millions if the totality of human existence is the measure, and perhaps giving that scene its visceral truth does those victims a better service than underplaying the depravity of the crime, in order to cushion the sensibilities of viewers.

I just hope there is some element of the classic Meadows revenge trip in the last one, I fuckin need it after seeing that.

On the one hand it was powerful, well made art dealing with human savagery in an unsensational and truthful way.

On the other hand I don't think I ever want to see it again, because it is just too brutal for me to deal with another time, at the end I almost felt culpable. I can't put myself through that for what is TV entertainment. I had similar feelings with Marabou Stork Nightmares, I think its a great book, but I never want to go back to that headspace.

Last nights show did show the full seedy banality of evil, the domestic setting contributed to the versimilitude of the scene, it was good social art. That scene represents the suffering of uncounted thousands, millions if the totality of human existence is the measure, and perhaps giving that scene its visceral truth does those victims a better service than underplaying the depravity of the crime, in order to cushion the sensibilities of viewers.

I just hope there is some element of the classic Meadows revenge trip in the last one, I fuckin need it after seeing that.

Totally agree.

After i watched it i was channel flicking and came across Channel 4 + 1 and it was on again and i started to watch the episode but remembered where it was going so changed.

Im not saying its gory or in any way the worst thing ive seen but its certainly the most unpleasant thing ive scene in memory for a while.

I think its the fact it was so well made. I agree that they could have signposted it a bit better in the last ad break but then that would have softened any impact.

Even though you saw it coming, it went on for AGES.....

I think normally they would incinuate what was going on and then pull away to something else so you knew it was happening but you wouldnt necessariliy see it or want to see it.

But with this they just let you hear and see it and stayed there - i think thats why people are upset as they probably are used to things being watered down a bit but on this occasion they couldnt really look away from it.

Some people were discussing how its deliberate that hes put the jokey silly sexy stuff at the start (the clark gable light relief + Shauns escapades) and then put the dark stuff at the end to draw a stark comparision - not sure theyve overthought that but if he did its very clever.

I think it was really well done and agree with Del that its got better with each episode.

The synopsis on the C4 web says among other things that Combo get's a chance to redeem himself and also seperately in the synopsis that a man is killed so if you put two and two together.......

I haven't really enjoyed it as a series. Felt some bits have been poor and most of it just okay. It is well shot and the scenes that are meant to be affecting, are. It's the cheesy, sing-a-long, slow-mo bits that grate for me. Probably just personal thing. I've never seen Skins but some folk have said that last week's episode was pretty close to that. Any truth in that? Found it hilarious that folk on c-zine have been pointing out the errors in the likes of The Cure t-shirts and what not (wrong era/wrong album tour/reprint from ten years later, etc). Amazing levels of geekdom.

Despite my gripes though, I've watched or taped it each week. It did get a little better last night, obviously building for some mental climax next week.

Felt ill going to bed last night. :( Having read the Marabou Stork Nightmares about two weeks ago, I can totally see where folk are coming from. I've read a few folk say that perhaps Channel 4 should have been a bit more on it with warnings - at the start saying "violent and sexual scenes", but not "violent sexual scenes". Was there anything said in the break? I made a cup of tea so missed it if it was there. Would have been awful if someone had just happened to be flicking through channels and came across it.

Totally agree with Pierre Von Mondragon's post too.

It was a pretty brutal scene to watch, and after watching it I wish I hadn't seen it, almost. The things he said to her were as bad if not worse than the act itself. As soon as the girl came in and sat down I felt a bit uncomfortable because you just knew, especially after the confrontation he'd had earlier with his daughter about what he'd done to her. It's that rare thing, TV done well and the issue dealt with in a thought-provoking way.

But still, urgh, wouldn't want to watch it again...

Found it hilarious that folk on c-zine have been pointing out the errors in the likes of The Cure t-shirts and what not (wrong era/wrong album tour/reprint from ten years later, etc). Amazing levels of geekdom.

Have to admit did notice The Cure error! it really pisses me off when the basics are got so wrong, absolutely no need for it! Soz for being a geek!

• 4 weeks later...

Bought the DVD in Asda yesterday, watched it in one go last night, amazing.

Went back to watch the original film tonight and it isn't playing right. Fucksticks. So I watched 'A Room for Romeo Brass' instead which has the actors who played Milky and Lol in it. Forgot what a good wee film it is, Paddy Considine is amazing in it, especially considering it was his debut...