aberdeen-music

Some Cast Fire

MikeyEB

Hello, I have been working on some melancholy little songs and I was hoping you lovely people could have a listen and give me some feedback. I don't usually sing so it's a bit of a departure for me. There are two songs with vocals and one sort of improv instrumental.

Question, comments, blatant insults are all welcome.

Thanks

Mike

Some Cast Fire

Or myspace if ypu want to be friends

Some Cast Fire on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

• Upvote 1

Guest idol_wild

I think these are decent for a first effort, really.

Your vocals have a naive quality to them which maintains my interest. One thing I'd say about Everything Glows II is that I usually despise guitar lines that back up the vocal melody, and you drift into that a few times, which puts me off a little.

I think Sigh would really benefit from a more aggressive picking style with the lead guitar, as it just sort of plinks and plonks, with the notes failing to really resonate and grab my attention. I also think, because it's an instrumental, that it could do with a pick up of pace, or a bit of a build up/crescendo, because it just sort of feels like it doesn't travel anywhere. But that is potentially the point. I always like instrumentals that tell a story, but without words.

Overall I found it very listenable. My small criticisms are very much personal preference.

Your vocals have a naive quality to them which maintains my interest. One thing I'd say about Everything Glows II is that I usually despise guitar lines that back up the vocal melody, and you drift into that a few times, which puts me off a little.

QUOTE]

Thanks for listening!

I think what happened here is that I felt very nervous about my voice so I ramped up the guitars a little to help carry the melody, it has possibly come off a bit "soft rawk" because of that but I can take that on board for future songs.

I wasn't sure about the instrumental but I liked the way it just moved between a few simple chords with the e-bows in the background, I probably should have left the other guitar off actually.

Very helpful criticism Phillip.

I'm digging it, the panning is really annoying though, so better quality recordings could make these songs really shine!

So thumbs up, very good for a first attempt.

Thanks John, I'm still not quite sure where some things should sit in the mix and I guess I tend to pan all the "lead" or whatever guitars hard to one side.as that always sounds right to me.

• 3 months later...
You should gig these sometime, Mikey! A mini-set at Cellar 35 maybe? *hopeful smiley*

Thanks Alan! I'm pretty sure I'd empty the place if I did that, I'll have to settle for making a racket with Seas, Starry.

I am hoping to do some live things this year once I've practised a bit more and finished the next batch of songs.

Thanks for listening sir.

I really liked "Winter" on the Kilau CD, but I don't know how it would work live...

Thanks for listening young man.

It's a thought, I don't have the voice for a full band. I was thinking of saving some percussion loops to my Loop pedal and playing over that. The ambient guitar bits are easy to recreate, I have the technology!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...