aberdeen-music

Randy Newman

-matthEw-

I love Randy Newman, never quite understood how hes got quite a bad rap for being shite. Or at least from tonnes of folk I know.

Land of Dreams is very good, as is Trouble in Paradise, for the most part anyway. Theres always a couple of pretty poor tunes on most of his great albums. Though, when hes good he's brilliant.

His latest (2008) Harps and Angels is definitely worth a listen too. If only for 'A Few Words in Defense of My Country' which is a brilliant song.

Another good one, albeit nothing spectacular about the album itself, is The Randy Newman Songbook Vol. 1 which is rerecordings of songs from throughout his career just him and piano. Gives you a decent idea of which albums you might like to dip in and out off.

Also, the man wrote 'I Think It's Going To Rain Today' from his first album, which is one of the best tunes ever.

Actually, his whole back catalogue (by no means brilliant, or even good across the board) is worth dipping in and out of, as theres little gems of songs throughout it all.

• Upvote 1

Now that's a film I love and haven't seen for about 20 years. Hadn't realised that he'd done the soundtrack.

"You might run like Hayes but you hit like shit."

Me too. I loved it as a kid. "Are you saying Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?" Gonna have to watch that again.

Remember the main song from it?

"There's a red moon rising

On the Cuyahoga River

Rolling into Cleveland to the lake"

Classic Randy Newman.