aberdeen-music

The Tilted Wig

Alan Badge

Guest idol_wild
Had a long chuckle at this one...

If you were correct, you'd have a point....but...

The PA system, stage, amps, mic's, video systems and new flat screens.etc will be in place by the end of next week, we are already booked up for acts through October and November (Saturday nights) and have promoters running nights for us during the week, an open mic night lined up, a musical quiz night, musically themed cocktails and by October the menu will have had an overhaul.

As for January that's when we're having the major refurb and redecoration but the live side of things will be in full swing by then.

Is that walking the walk?

Maybe get the facts before you talk the talk huh!?!

Chuckle

Well good luck to you all at The Tilted Wig! You really seem to be taking a genuine interest in the local music scene.

I await your in-depth listings pages and look forward to seeing really good, varied (and yet cohesive) line-ups featuring a lot of Aberdeen (and further afield) acts who are not booked purely because "they bring in a crowd", with widespread promotion for all your shows evident throughout The Tilted Wig and throughout the whole of Aberdeen. :up:

Guest idol_wild
I love that anger idol wild. Let's all get behind Stephen and help his efforts blossom

It's not anger whatsover.

I just think The Tilted Wig needs to realise that a lot of people they are trying to target have seen venues open in the past, dribbling out the same words as The Tilted Wig have been lately, only for it not to work.

I would sincerely love The Tilted Wig to be a massive success for all involved. But I think any new venue has to prove its worth and earn support and respect, not just expect it as default.

But I think any new venue has to prove its worth and earn support and respect, not just expect it as default.

I think any artist looking for a new venue to play has to at least try and support that venue with encouragement and advice when they ask for it, in order to help them make it the best venue they can. Not just expect it as default.

Guest idol_wild
I think any artist looking for a new venue to play has to at least try and support that venue with encouragement and advice when they ask for it, in order to help them make it the best venue they can. Not just expect it as default.

I knew this would be highlighted by someone as a counter.

But the main point of this thread is to drum up business and support for a commercial enterprise. Not artists looking for new venues to perform in.

It's not anger whatsover.

I just think The Tilted Wig needs to realise that a lot of people they are trying to target have seen venues open in the past, dribbling out the same words as The Tilted Wig have been lately, only for it not to work.

I would sincerely love The Tilted Wig to be a massive success for all involved. But I think any new venue has to prove its worth and earn support and respect, not just expect it as default.

Have to say I think you're way wide of the mark on this one Phil. IMO everybody should be supporting new venues, especially ones who sound like they're doing it for the right reasons, they shouldn't have to "earn their stripes" first. It's to everyone's benefit to have good venues, and Aberdeen could really do with a decent new venue. I find it peculiar that someone so active on the music scene would treat new ventures with such suspicion.

Guest idol_wild
Have to say I think you're way wide of the mark on this one Phil. IMO everybody should be supporting new venues, especially ones who sound like they're doing it for the right reasons, they shouldn't have to "earn their stripes" first. It's to everyone's benefit to have good venues, and Aberdeen could really do with a decent new venue. I find it peculiar that someone so active on the music scene would treat new ventures with such suspicion.

I think I'm coming across as being dead against The Tilted Wig when, actually, I'm really not. I've probably failed to express myself fully and come across as a bit curt and even a bit trite. And I probably reacted to the facetious way they tried to respond.

I just find the way they've put themselves across on this website recently as almost trying to oppose this/these certain "OTHER" venue/venues. It almost seems like a sort of "the other venues are rubbish and don't care about local artists, but we're new and we will care - we promise!" scenario, if you get my drift. And I've never been a big fan of that. I always felt Aberdeen (and every city in general) would benefit if venues worked alongside eachother and not only co-existed, but pulled together, allowed cross-promotion, and competed with eachother slightly less, and certainly without the level of ill-feeling there seems to be between a lot of venues.

Umm, sorry but at the end of the day it wasn't us that put this thread up, it was a promotor/artist who was kind enough to offer us support and encouragement, for which we're hugely thankful.

So the main point of this thread had absolutely nothing to do with us trying to 'drum up business', but more a heads up to artists.etc, from someone who is involved in the local music scene (again we had nothing to do with the thread starting up!)

We were invited to come on and comment on this thread, and in the spirit of honesty, I've been more than happy to answer any questions or suggestions.

To be honest, we really don't need to use threads such as this to drum up business, but I guess there has to be someone to play Devils Advocate!

But as for this comment...

"I just find the way they've put themselves across on this website recently as almost trying to oppose this/these certain "OTHER" venue/venues. It almost seems like a sort of "the other venues are rubbish and don't care about local artists, but we're new and we will care - we promise!" scenario, if you get my drift. And I've never been a big fan of that. I always felt Aberdeen (and every city in general) would benefit if venues worked alongside eachother and not only co-existed, but pulled together, allowed cross-promotion, and competed with eachother slightly less, and certainly without the level of ill-feeling there seems to be between a lot of venues."

We haven't said a single thing against any other venues (check who's posting what!), that came from another commentator! We aren't trying to compete with anyone but business is business at the end of the day, however we want to promote live music in Aberdeen not just in the Wig. We only have the space and budget to attract a certain calibre of act, but we'll do anything we can to promote bigger acts who are coming to the city, as Aberdeen is too often overlooked on tour schedules!

I'm sorry, but I feel that your comments are very misplaced!

I knew this would be highlighted by someone as a counter.

But the main point of this thread is to drum up business and support for a commercial enterprise. Not artists looking for new venues to perform in.

Please don't take this the wrong way Idol, we encourage comment and suggestion. But if you know of a way that venues can work together, then please feel free to suggest it instead of just shooting us down!

We really don't feel that we're in competition with anyone in Aberdeen (other than maybe Wetherspoons and the evil giants who seek to destroy all independents maybe! lol)

As for Drummonds, Tunnels, Lemontree, Moorings.etc I say the more the merrier! The last thing we want to do is fight with those guys, they know what they're doing and in a one on one fight....they'd win!

So we fully encourage anyone who's bringing in music/acts/dj's whatever, if the scene flourishes then hopefully so will we!

Please don't take this the wrong way Idol, we encourage comment and suggestion. But if you know of a way that venues can work together, then please feel free to suggest it instead of just shooting us down!

We really don't feel that we're in competition with anyone in Aberdeen (other than maybe Wetherspoons and the evil giants who seek to destroy all independents maybe! lol)

As for Drummonds, Tunnels, Lemontree, Moorings.etc I say the more the merrier! The last thing we want to do is fight with those guys, they know what they're doing and in a one on one fight....they'd win!

So we fully encourage anyone who's bringing in music/acts/dj's whatever, if the scene flourishes then hopefully so will we!

Very well said!! I think that puts an end to any misunderstandings on a very sensible and positive note! :up:

Guest idol_wild
Umm, sorry but at the end of the day it wasn't us that put this thread up, it was a promotor/artist who was kind enough to offer us support and encouragement, for which we're hugely thankful.

So the main point of this thread had absolutely nothing to do with us trying to 'drum up business', but more a heads up to artists.etc, from someone who is involved in the local music scene (again we had nothing to do with the thread starting up!)

We were invited to come on and comment on this thread, and in the spirit of honesty, I've been more than happy to answer any questions or suggestions.

To be honest, we really don't need to use threads such as this to drum up business, but I guess there has to be someone to play Devils Advocate!

But as for this comment...

"I just find the way they've put themselves across on this website recently as almost trying to oppose this/these certain "OTHER" venue/venues. It almost seems like a sort of "the other venues are rubbish and don't care about local artists, but we're new and we will care - we promise!" scenario, if you get my drift. And I've never been a big fan of that. I always felt Aberdeen (and every city in general) would benefit if venues worked alongside eachother and not only co-existed, but pulled together, allowed cross-promotion, and competed with eachother slightly less, and certainly without the level of ill-feeling there seems to be between a lot of venues."

We haven't said a single thing against any other venues (check who's posting what!), that came from another commentator! We aren't trying to compete with anyone but business is business at the end of the day, however we want to promote live music in Aberdeen not just in the Wig. We only have the space and budget to attract a certain calibre of act, but we'll do anything we can to promote bigger acts who are coming to the city, as Aberdeen is too often overlooked on tour schedules!

I'm sorry, but I feel that your comments are very misplaced!

Decent response, and fair play and good luck to you. I'm not going any further with this after this post, because I've said how I feel about it, and so have you. And we've all had a great laugh. I was playing devil's advocate a little bit, but hey, my job gives me periods of no activity but with internet access...I get bored. A brief overview of my posts in the past month will support this.

Sincerely, though, I really do hope you have this "genuine interest" in the local music scene, and follow through on it.

I still feel that actions speak louder than words, so it'll be interesting to see how your plan unfolds and how the line-ups and associated promotion work out. I'm in absolutely no position of authority to be advising a venue how to operate, but I'd urge you to avoid making the same mistake that so many other venues seem to make: avoiding extensive promotion for every level of show. Try to avoid being a venue that just "books" - be a venue that also promotes and advertises. And not just the "big" shows. And not just online. :up:

Anyway, enough of me spouting my suspicious, ill-informed and poorly motivated crap (this sentence is not actually sarcastic). :up:

Thanks,

I hope that no offense was taken, I guess we're a little sensitive too because we do genuinely want this to work. And we totally see where you're coming from, to be honest there is far more to learn from the negative comments than the purely positive ones (although there absolutely welcome too! haha) we'll certainly take your suggestions to heart.

It seems like you've bad experiences with this sort of thing in the past, and we'd be really chuffed if you want to come in to the pub for a chat (it says you're in Edinburgh on your profile, but if you're ever up here!) , it's always better than doing things over a forum, where it's easy to come across in the wrong light! I'd be happy to go over our diary, promo plans.etc and get your feedback!

Cheers for the reply! ;-)

Decent response, and fair play and good luck to you. I'm not going any further with this after this post, because I've said how I feel about it, and so have you. And we've all had a great laugh. I was playing devil's advocate a little bit, but hey, my job gives me periods of no activity but with internet access...I get bored. A brief overview of my posts in the past month will support this.

Sincerely, though, I really do hope you have this "genuine interest" in the local music scene, and follow through on it.

I still feel that actions speak louder than words, so it'll be interesting to see how your plan unfolds and how the line-ups and associated promotion work out. I'm in absolutely no position of authority to be advising a venue how to operate, but I'd urge you to avoid making the same mistake that so many other venues seem to make: avoiding extensive promotion for every level of show. Try to avoid being a venue that just "books" - be a venue that also promotes and advertises. And not just the "big" shows. And not just online. :up:

Anyway, enough of me spouting my suspicious, ill-informed and poorly motivated crap (this sentence is not actually sarcastic). :up:

Eh wrong!

As the thread was posted by an artist who's been fucked off big time by another Aberdeen promoter not by The Tilted Wig looking for commercial success.

I posted it due to the fact i was impressed by Stephen's attitude and ambition for the Aberdeen music scene after meeting him for the first time yesterday and my bands and i are artists who were looking for another venue in Aberdeen to play!

• 6 months later...