aberdeen-music

The Tilted Wig

Alan Badge

Hi all,

I went to see Stephen at The Tilted Wig yesterday and ive got to say things look very promising for The Tilted Wig becoming a good band venue.

It would be great for all the local bands to support the place as Stephen came across as being genuinely interested in the local music scene and wanting the music side of things to prosper. Thats a fuck load more than i can say for "OTHER" venues in Aberdeen that used to put original bands on now wont give you the time of day and are just interested in money and touring bands. Obviously every buisness has to make money to survive and develop but its good to see a bar owner interested in music nights!

Theres a new stage going in and a PA and the whole place is getting a revamp in January to make it more accomodating for bands and theyre support.

Im sure with time and experience this is going to turn into a great venue.

Guest Gladstone

How big is The Tilted Wig, capacity wise? It's quite small isn't it? Not been in for a while, struggling to remember...

A little wee venue sounds good to me. :)

Especially one so accessible (i.e. pretty much on Union Street, and not tucked away like The Music Club was for example, or Cellar 35)

Its L shaped but where the stage is going to be there will a good space in front of the stage for a crowd to watch. would'nt like to guesstimate a capacity but i'd say 200 maybe. More after the revamp.

After talking to Stephen he wants both cover bands and original, just seems totally up for it being a music bar. Which is really admirable.

I think its going to be a great place to play.

He was saying gear can be left over night etc, and you can almost right on the door step by car/van to unload gear. Theres also going to be some backline.

Guest idol_wild
Hi all,

I went to see Stephen at The Tilted Wig yesterday and ive got to say things look very promising for The Tilted Wig becoming a good band venue.

It would be great for all the local bands to support the place as Stephen came across as being genuinely interested in the local music scene and wanting the music side of things to prosper. Thats a fuck load more than i can say for "OTHER" venues in Aberdeen that used to put original bands on now wont give you the time of day and are just interested in money and touring bands. Obviously every buisness has to make money to survive and develop but its good to see a bar owner interested in music nights!

Theres a new stage going in and a PA and the whole place is getting a revamp in January to make it more accomodating for bands and theyre support.

Im sure with time and experience this is going to turn into a great venue.

I think the venue has to somehow show this reported "genuine interest" in the local music scene before bands just automatically start supporting it. There seems to be a lot of talking coming from The Tilted Wig, but not much walking.

January is a long time to wait before they revamp it. They should have revamped it, installed a quality PA and a stage first, and then they'd be in a position to support the local music scene and then generate reciprocated support.

Actions speak louder than words.

I only met the guy for the first time yesterday and after a year of getting treated like shite from another promoter who's turned into a total fucking wank it was good to meet someone who came across keen on the local music scene.

I cant comment on why theyre doing the revamp etc the way they are and in an ideal world where a new venue has unlimited funds and shed loads of experience/contacts what you quoted is right. I only posted this as i know other bands have had problems with a certain Aberdeen venue and thought maybe other bands might like to try playing there as the guy showed the "genuine interest" I spoke of!

Have to laugh...

Had a long chuckle at this one...

If you were correct, you'd have a point....but...

The PA system, stage, amps, mic's, video systems and new flat screens.etc will be in place by the end of next week, we are already booked up for acts through October and November (Saturday nights) and have promoters running nights for us during the week, an open mic night lined up, a musical quiz night, musically themed cocktails and by October the menu will have had an overhaul.

As for January that's when we're having the major refurb and redecoration but the live side of things will be in full swing by then.

Is that walking the walk?

Maybe get the facts before you talk the talk huh!?!

Chuckle

I think the venue has to somehow show this reported "genuine interest" in the local music scene before bands just automatically start supporting it. There seems to be a lot of talking coming from The Tilted Wig, but not much walking.

January is a long time to wait before they revamp it. They should have revamped it, installed a quality PA and a stage first, and then they'd be in a position to support the local music scene and then generate reciprocated support.

Thanks soo much for the support Alan, it's great to get positive feedback and to have people who are genuinely supportive, instead of trying to knock people who are trying to make positive changes!

In fact we've been genuinely humbled by the level of support we've received thus far, and the response has been overwhelmingly positive, we just hope we can repay the kind sentiments by making the Wig as good a venue as it possibly can be!

Oh, and what I listed above is just for starters folks, we know EXACTLY what we're doing! ;-P

Yep, spot on in the back right corner.

We know space is at a premium and visibility would be an issue along the bar, however we already have a video camera which will be pointing down towards the stage and a live feed of the artists on stage will run to the flat screens behind the bar and in the snug, so at least people will be able to see who's on, even if we fill up!

Where's the stage going to be, under where the big projector screen is at the moment?

Very negotiable with things like venue hire, can work something out but basically all we really care about is covering costs. At the moment it's more about building the reputation than making profit and of course we'll still have the bar take anyway.

Give us a shout if you want to discuss...

thetiltedwig@gmail.com

Sounds interesting. May have to pop in and check it out. How much for a venue hire?

I can say categorically, (with experience of trying to start a music venue near Inverness about 10 years back) that the Tilted Wig is doing a fantastic job!

We stupidly did shitloads of renovations, built a small theatre basically and put in 9000 worth of sound equipment/PA (It was actually mostly the Lemon Tree's old system), booked fantastic acts from the States and all over the UK, plus lots of local bands, at great expense, all before the Grand Opening.... and got on average, about 10 punters through the doors!! o_O

Any businessman with any sense (yes, I'm freely admitting we had no sense at all!!) tests the water and makes sure of the demand first before blowing a fortune on it!!

As it is, they have obviously invested a lot of money and hard work already to get this far, and I congratulate them on that! I'm delighted to see a great new venue in the making and wish them all the luck.. and positivity.. in the world! :up:

Thank you sooo much Maria, like I say the level of support we've been receiving has been nothing short of amazing and we're feeling really positive about things.

This site is fantastic and has helped prove to us that we can really make a go of it and that there is demand in Aberdeen for the type of place we want the Wig to be! We're not some faceless brewery pub and we're depending on the Wig for our livelihood, and with a wee one to support it's vital we make things work, so it's in our best interest to do things right!

Beyond all that though we actually love the bar and can't wait to get it up to the level it deserves to be at, a lot of people are very fond of the Wig and we sincerely hope we can live up to everyones expectations and I think by being open and honest about our plans, people (although not everyone may agree) will hopefully respect what we're doing.

For example we kicked out Sky Sports, primarily because it doesn't fit with our plans or vision of the pub, but also because we would have been paying Sky more on an annual basis than we're currently paying any of our staff...or ourselves! Seriously! A few folk have moaned about not having the football on, but as soon as the above is explained to them they soon come around to our way of thinking! Plus there's plenty of places to watch the footie (pubs with a million flat screens/3D.etc) and not everyone wants to sit in a bar and listen to 20 or 30 guys shouting abuse at a TV!

We absolutely encourage anyone to ask questions or make suggestions, as we want the Wig to have a real community spirit, especially amongst the music fans in town!

Thanks again to everyone on here!

By the way, once we refurb in January we are going to have a wee gallery space in the snug area (which is getting a major facelift/refurb) and would love to display works by local artists and photographers (will sell these from behind the bar commission free too!), also the screens in bar will be used to promote works too, so anyone who wants to display or knows anyone who may do, we'll be more than happy to discuss.

Hello Maria my darling what you doing in the dooms cyber space ? Were playing tilted wig sat 6th nov you should come through although oxjam on sat 23rd oct at blue lamp should be a great night as Gerry 's blues bands playing too and the lorelei (not sure if you've seen them but loads of energy for old men) hee hee

Hello my darling you too!!! lol :love: I've been on this forum for a few years, just haven't been on recently.

I shall try for both if at all possible. I haven't had a night out at the Lampy for years, (hope to see Sandy's happy smiling face.. joke!!), I can stay with my darling daughter, Luthien, Gerry's an old friend as is Beefy (Lorelei) then of course yourselves with new brass!!! What more could anyone ask???

Then I also want to check out The Tilted Wig so.... hopefully see you at both! :up:

Thank you sooo much Maria, like I say the level of support we've been receiving has been nothing short of amazing and we're feeling really positive about things.

This site is fantastic and has helped prove to us that we can really make a go of it and that there is demand in Aberdeen for the type of place we want the Wig to be! We're not some faceless brewery pub and we're depending on the Wig for our livelihood, and with a wee one to support it's vital we make things work, so it's in our best interest to do things right!

Beyond all that though we actually love the bar and can't wait to get it up to the level it deserves to be at, a lot of people are very fond of the Wig and we sincerely hope we can live up to everyones expectations and I think by being open and honest about our plans, people (although not everyone may agree) will hopefully respect what we're doing.

For example we kicked out Sky Sports, primarily because it doesn't fit with our plans or vision of the pub, but also because we would have been paying Sky more on an annual basis than we're currently paying any of our staff...or ourselves! Seriously! A few folk have moaned about not having the football on, but as soon as the above is explained to them they soon come around to our way of thinking! Plus there's plenty of places to watch the footie (pubs with a million flat screens/3D.etc) and not everyone wants to sit in a bar and listen to 20 or 30 guys shouting abuse at a TV!

We absolutely encourage anyone to ask questions or make suggestions, as we want the Wig to have a real community spirit, especially amongst the music fans in town!

Thanks again to everyone on here!

Oh, thank goodness... NO f*****g footie!!!! YEAH!!

I'm looking forward to coming through to Aberdeen and checking out the Wig! 8-)

Good to hear that the Tilted wig is evolving into a "proper" venue.

Any chance of a gig? We actually asked about the chances of a gig about a couple of months ago but never got much positive feedback.

Are you only booking 'experienced" bands? We are relatively new on the covers scene but wanna gig as much as we can.

Anyhoos, looking forward to coming and checking the place out.