aberdeen-music

Tax Rebates - Claiming Them

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

Since approximately March, I have been doing the same temporary office-based job. It's really crap pay, but I like it because they are supportive of what I do outside the workplace and give me time off to go on tour and all the other nonsense involved with being in a band.

However, since I started I have been paying an emergency tax code. With the recent sending out of letters to the entire nation regarding this, I was expecting a rebate letter and cheque to slide through my letterbox. It still hasn't arrived.

So it looks like I'll have to manually claim my rebate. My employment agency has sent me through a summary of my earnings and such like for the last financial year, but I don't have a P60 form. The agency said they sent one out to me, but I can't for the life of me locate it, and I don't recall receiving it from them. I was actually looking out for it for this exact purpose.

Anyway, can anyone share experiences of trying to claim a rebate? Was it difficult? Did it take long?

I have looked at the HMRC website, and the process for applying for a rebate is set out, but I apparently have to submit a P60 form, yet my tax office apparently can't provide one, and my employment agency can't send out a duplicate.

I want my fucking money back.

Guest idol_wild
Why were you on an emergency tax code? and i'm sure you can get all relevant information from your employer/previous employer.

Because I couldn't provide my employment agency with my P45 (or is it P46?) when they recruited me.

I have never supplied my P45 (or is it P46?) to any new employer, yet I have always received my rebate cheques automatically.

However, since I started I have been paying an emergency tax code. With the recent sending out of letters to the entire nation regarding this, I was expecting a rebate letter and cheque to slide through my letterbox. It still hasn't arrived.

The letters last week were just the first 40,000 letters out of 6 million. You could still get one as the rest are due to be sent out before the end of the year.

A P60 is an end-of-year form and won't help much since it would only cover up until the start of April.

As far as I'm aware, emergency tax should only be paid if you're starting work in the current tax year and don't have a P45. Since you started in the last tax year you should have a normal tax code for this tax year. Your employer needs to sort this out I think. The other alternative involves your P45 being presented to you and letting the tax office sort it out.

Guest idol_wild
A P60 is an end-of-year form and won't help much since it would only cover up until the start of April.

As far as I'm aware, emergency tax should only be paid if you're starting work in the current tax year and don't have a P45. Since you started in the last tax year you should have a normal tax code for this tax year. Your employer needs to sort this out I think. The other alternative involves your P45 being presented to you and letting the tax office sort it out.

Informative. Thanks. I'm going to email my agency right now regarding my emergency tax code and ask them to pull their weight and change it for me. :up:

Guest idol_wild
The letters last week were just the first 40,000 letters out of 6 million. You could still get one as the rest are due to be sent out before the end of the year.

Here's hoping I get mine eventually, then. But I seem to suffer from post-postman syndrome. Because I used to be a postman myself, I now have the shittest and most untrustworthy postman ever. That's how it works: "Oh, so you left Royal Mail of your own accord, did you? In that case, you're getting the guy we hired straight from prison to deliver your mail. MUHAHAHAHA".

Bellends.

Because I couldn't provide my employment agency with my P45 (or is it P46?) when they recruited me.

I have never supplied my P45 (or is it P46?) to any new employer, yet I have always received my rebate cheques automatically.

A P45 gets issued to you when you leave a place of work, a P46 is a form you fill in in lieu of a P45 when you start elsewhere (so your new workplace can tell HMRC all about you).

I've reclaimed tax a few times.. but I'm a student and it's always been when I've worked over summer and not earned enough in that period to exceed the annual personal allowance.

I've gone into tax offices and, on separate occasions, I've filled in the forms myself and sent them away. I've never had any problems getting my money back.

HM Revenue & Customs: Reclaiming tax if you've overpaid through your job

If you go on to that site it should point you in the right direction and, if all else fails, phone up your nearest tax office and they should be able to arrange an appointment with you and help you get it sorted out.