aberdeen-music

The Fratellis - Costello Music

Guest Gladstone

Guest Gladstone

I've been listening to the Fratellis first album a lot lately, and you know what, I think it's fucking great.

Not a bad song on it, and some really really good songs.

Not sure if they'll be popular on this site - what does everyone else think?

And - where the fuck have they gone?

I absolutely loved this album when it came out, I listened to it pretty much every day when I was working out in Switzerland in 2007. Then when I got back I went to see them at the AECC and they were absolutely shit and I haven't listened to it since. I actually went to put it on a couple of weeks ago for old times sake, and my iPod seems to have eaten it.

I agree, it is very good. I think a lot of people get put off them by the lad-rock image, not helped by Chelsea Dagger being used on the darts on ITV at every single opportunity, and I dread to think what kind of cretins they would have attacted to AECC. I was fortunate to see them on a tiny stage at a festival in Baltimore where there was no trouble and really enjoyed them.

It seems like every guitar band from the mid 00s has vanished with the exception of Arctic Monkeys. It was obvious it was going to happen just like it did in the mid 90s but its such a massive list of albums by the likes of The Enemy, Kaiser Chiefs, Razorlight, The Fratellis, Milburn that were such epic failures.

Its a decent enough album.

I've got a mate who, in my opinion, has a pretty damn credible music taste and isn't at all interested in 'lad-rock', who rates the Fratellis second album ridiculously high. Think it was his 3rd favourite album of the 00s or something. I've never listened to it, I just find him raving about it amusing.

Guest Gladstone
Just a great album from start to finish. On the advertisement ads it had NME - "The most important album you could own" which the full sentence was probably "The most important album you could own this year" but still a good album, second one was awful, mistress mabel sounds like a song mcfly would do

Mistress Mabel is a cracking song in my opinion. I can't remember anything else off that album, but I haven't really listened to it much.

While we're on the subject, I think McFly are a decent pop band actually. They get slated left, right and centre, but they've got some pretty good songs. Everyone just assumed they'd be Busted mark 2, but they're really not.

:popcorn:

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone
At first I thought this thread was genuine, but Gladstone has given the game away with that last comment.

Henrietta excepted, The Fratellis were unwaveringly root. McFly, heroically, are worse. Quite an achievement.

I'm being 100% genuine.

McFly are worse than The Fratellis, no doubt about that. All I'm saying is that McFly, as a pop band are nowhere near as bad as they're made out to be and have a few decent pop songs.

But, this thread ain't about McFly, it's about The Fratellis' first album, which I think is fucking ace. I listened to it again on the way to work today. Fucking love it.

I'm being 100% genuine.

McFly are worse than The Fratellis, no doubt about that. All I'm saying is that McFly, as a pop band are nowhere near as bad as they're made out to be and have a few decent pop songs.

But, this thread ain't about McFly, it's about The Fratellis' first album, which I think is fucking ace. I listened to it again on the way to work today. Fucking love it.

You ruined the thread as soon as McFly was mentioned!

Guest idol_wild
I thought the singles sounded like "Tiger Feet" by Mudd. Awful, awful band. I was once accosted by a man in Exodus for saying this but I dismissed his opinion as he was wearing a Cast T-Shirt and probably didn't know any better.

That was the first night I met you. I still have that Cast t-shirt. It's many different colours, but the only one that comes through is red. It stops me dead.

Guest Gladstone
You ruined the thread as soon as McFly was mentioned!

I didn't bring McFly up. It wasn't my fault...

Lucky - go and delete all the McFly related comments seeing as they're off topic...

I fucking detest The Fratellis based upon that one dur-dur-dur-dur chorus song, braindead mongo music that's easy for the football crowd to remember pished before getting in some aggro on the way home.

In terms of the first album that song is on it so it is in my hate file. I haven't heard the rest but my superior psychic powers say - pish.

Guest Gladstone
I fucking detest The Fratellis based upon that one dur-dur-dur-dur chorus song, braindead mongo music that's easy for the football crowd to remember pished before getting in some aggro on the way home.

In terms of the first album that song is on it so it is in my hate file. I haven't heard the rest but my superior psychic powers say - pish.

Chelsea Dagger is by no way the best song on that album. It's the most commercial / easy to remember/singalong to, and pretty much made them and at the same time probably ruined them as well. It's really not what they're all about at all - I have no problem with "lad rock" or whatever you want to label it - I'm into all that stuff as much as any genre of music, but the Fratellis find themselves in that category, when they really shouldn't.

You've probably made your mind up already, but honestly - go and have a listen to the album on Spotify, and just skip Chelsea Dagger.

It's still very much an "indie/rock" album, but it's got a bit of diversity about it and in my opinion is one of the best albums of the past 10 years.

Guest Gladstone
I saw Wilco last night. It's depressing that anyone could claim Fratellis are responsible for one of the best albums of the last ten years when some people haven't even heard Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Men vs boys. Actually, men vs lads.

It's opinions dude.

I've had the Fratellis album in my car for the past few weeks. My car has a 6 CD changer, but I keep finding myself going back to the start of the Fratellis every morning and evening on the way to/from work because I can hardly bear to not listen to it again. I'm actually getting addicted to it. I haven't done that with one album for a very long time.

In my opinion, it is a fucking great album, and definitely one of the best in the last 10 years (that I've heard, obviously).