aberdeen-music

Corinne West & Kelly Joe Phelps + Tungsten & Bullhelm @ The Blue Lamp, 22 Sep

offramp

interesting music promotions and Vocoustics, in association with Aberdeen Folk Club present

CORINNE WEST & KELLY JOE PHELPS + TUNGSTEN & BULLHELM

Wednesday, 22 September 2010

The Blue Lamp, 121 Gallowgate, Aberdeen, AB25 1BU. Phone: 01224 647472

Doors 8pm

Tickets 10+bf in adv / 12 on door

Available from One-Up Records, Belmont Street, Aberdeen. Phone (01224) 642662 or http://www.ticketweb.co.uk

http://www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

http://www.myspace.com/vocoustics

kjpcw_poster_01_bleed_550.jpg

CORINNE WEST & KELLY JOE PHELPS

Out of the circus in the sky fell Corinne and Kelly Joe to find themselves covered in guitars, strings, and the remnants of a trapeze artist. Ladies and gentlemen, two of America's premier singer/songwriters have joined talents creating a stellar new sound. Soul, passion, beautifully laced vocal harmonies and brilliant guitar work are at the heart of their new collaboration. It's a handful of aces friends and like nothing you (or they) have heard before! And now theyre coming to the UK!

CORINNE WEST, a fourth generation Californian and musician who performs upwards of 200 shows each year, has a voice that simply soars. Using her powerfully eloquent voice, coupled with beautifully crafted songs - memorable both lyrically and melodically - she has fashioned a unique identity within American musics acoustic/roots scene. Her latest record, 'The Promise', confirms Wests place among the finest young singer-songwriters. Described as "elegant new sexy acoustic jazz-rock-folk", and "west coast acoustic soul music", this is a work of deep feeling and deep inspiration, roads travelled and roads less travelled, songs insightful and resonant about matters of the heart, soul and existence. In concert, Corinne brings a special grace and fire to the stage. Her song-writing strength coupled with magnetic stage presence create a captivating performance, winning rave reviews at home and abroad. Corinne has toured extensively throughout the US, Canada, Europe and the U.K., and has been featured on national radio in these regions.

I love Corinne's music and truly believe in her as an artist. She has spirit, integrity and talent. I am a massive fan. (Bob Harris, Legendary British broadcaster, BBC Radio2)

A West wind blew into town on Friday night and its name was Corinne, full of passion, charm and wit and laden down by a truck full of great original songs. This was a night that will be remembered for a long time, a must for venues next time she tours. (Windsor Arts Centre, UK)

Its a stirring body of work, by turns haunting, gripping and moving and all wrapped around Corinnes distinctive smoky vocals. (Oxford Mail)

Spectacularly haunting...eloquently soulful. (Folk and Roots, David Kidman)

A voice of gold. (Relix Magazine)

http://www.corinnewest.com

KELLY JOE PHELPS has, over the course of eight CDs and fifteen years of touring the world, established himself as a guitarist, singer, and songwriter with singular vision and fearless purpose. His mix of folk, blues, and jazz has won him praise from the likes of Bill Frisell, Steve Earle, and Cameron Crowe. Kelly Joe has been featured on NPRs All Things Considered and Prairie Home Companion as well as numerous BBC and other national radio shows throughout Europe, Australia and Japan. Hes recorded with Townes Van Zandt, Greg Brown, Martin Simpson, Jay Farrar, and a host of others. A brilliant improviser, Phelps is known for his ability to put a new spin on a song every time he plays, inventive and imaginative enough to be able to take multiple styles of music and merge them with his own artistic voice, creating a unique sound both original and universal.

His music is a wide world with three hundred and sixty degrees of influence Kelly Joe is a musical slight of hand master. He pulls world wide sounds out of his guitar. (Tim OBrien)

He seems to have tapped into the artery somehow. Theres a lot going on in between and behind the notes. Mystery. Hes been an inspiration to me. (Bill Frisell)

Im talking about a feeling, a smoky, lonesome, painful yet somehow comforting groove that lets you know that you are not alone even when youre blue. Play on, brother. (Steve Earle)

At first you think its familiar, then you know youve never heard anything like this. I love this music. (Leo Kottke)

http://www.kellyjoephelps.com

Local support from TUNGSTEN & BULLHELM

http://www.myspace.com/tungstenandbullhelm

What did folk make of this?

I was initially blown away by their voices and guitar skills in their first song. The second song was a bit bland. The third song was the same and it all went downhill for me from there.

I think I had 3 smoke breaks during their set. By the end the only comparable feeling I've ever experienced was a double English lesson at school where the teacher read Sunset Song aloud while I considered self harm.

What did folk make of this?

I was initially blown away by their voices and guitar skills in their first song. The second song was a bit bland. The third song was the same and it all went downhill for me from there.

I think I had 3 smoke breaks during their set. By the end the only comparable feeling I've ever experienced was a double English lesson at school where the teacher read Sunset Song aloud while I considered self harm.

I thought it was brilliant, really enjoyed it. Different from the last couple of times I've seen KJP but then that was to be expected. Thought the two of them had a good energy together and they were great to watch. Wonderful musicianship with two fantastic voices and some really interesting songs.

Listened to the album on the way into work this morning and thoroughly enjoyed that as well.

Maybe I was just blinded by my relief that he didn't play anything from Western Bell...

I thought it was brilliant, really enjoyed it. Different from the last couple of times I've seen KJP but then that was to be expected. Thought the two of them had a good energy together and they were great to watch. Wonderful musicianship with two fantastic voices and some really interesting songs.

Listened to the album on the way into work this morning and thoroughly enjoyed that as well.

Maybe I was just blinded by my relief that he didn't play anything from Western Bell...

Well, I guess the world would be a boring place if everyone thought the same (as boring as KJP/CW's most average number on repeat).

I think the boredom spread like wildfire throughout my contingent making it seem even worse (would like to state for the record we kept respectfully silent)

I had no prior knowledge of Kelly Joe Phelps but spoke to a couple of guys outside who were fans of his but were disappointed in the show.

Can't enjoy them all. Next up Kris Drever - looking forward to that one.

Well, I guess the world would be a boring place if everyone thought the same (as boring as KJP/CW's most average number on repeat).

I think the boredom spread like wildfire throughout my contingent making it seem even worse (would like to state for the record we kept respectfully silent)

I had no prior knowledge of Kelly Joe Phelps but spoke to a couple of guys outside who were fans of his but were disappointed in the show.

Prior knowledge wouldn't have helped much, what they played last night wasn't all that similar to most of his solo stuff bar maybe Tunesmith Retrofit.

I can see why if you weren't into it the songs would have sounded a bit samey, maybe they should have mixed it up a bit more like the reworked version of Lass of Loch Royale they did in the encore.

kris drever's gonna be ace. really looking forward to that one! saw him in glasgow with tim o'brien and it was reet good.