aberdeen-music

Signal chain?

Monk Rocker

The way I usually have it is:

Amp --- time based FX (delay, chorus) --- distortion --- tuner

I believe compressors should go at the start of the chain as if you put them after the distortion you could just add more noise to the signal. EQs after the distortion but before the delay.

I don't have an effects loop but I think the general rule is put pedals that should come after the distortion in the loop as that way they you effectively have guitar -> tuner -> compressor -> distortion -> amp distortion -> EQ -> delay/synth/chorus -> speaker.

However I could be wrong. Play with the order and just go with what gives you the sound you like really.

to the best of my knowledge you want to keep the Time Based FX in the Loop whilst keeping everything else in front of the amp.

For my guitar I've got it like this;

Guitar -> Wah -> Noise Gate -> Volume Pedal (I'd swap the Gate and Volume about but the Vol's I/O are in a really shit place so it would add extra cable length in) -> Amp Input -> FX Loop Send -> Chorus -> Delay -> Reverb -> FX Loop Return -> Amp Out

Ideally you don't want distortion effects in your FX Loop.