aberdeen-music

Amazon Kindle

jester1470

Has anyone else picked up one of these yet ? We got ours on Saturday and its a very nice piece of kit, very clear screen, room for 3500 books, a bit fiddly to put lots of books on at once, ie I wanted to put in about 700 books and it took most of the day to sort them into sub categories. Only quibble is the battery life which is meant to last for days but in our case lasts about 4 hours, but give amazon their due they're sending a new one out and we should have it tomorrow, just hope I dont have to go through putting all 700 books in categories again. All in all very impressed with what I think is a nice piece of kit. Anyone else got one and has any comments ?

I've used my parents' one. It's great. The e-ink really comes into its own when ur outside and normal screens would be impossible to see. Another benefit is that I actually read more books, and books I really wanted to read rather than ones that are lying about. E.g. You're watching tv and someone mentions a book and you think to yourself 'oh I'd like to read that' then forget to buy it. With the kindle you can just get I straight away.

I wasn't interested in these at all, but the new one looks brilliant and the drop in price is a big attraction as well. Very tempting.

It genuinelly is as good as it looks on the adverts in fact I'd say the screen is better than advertised, the only problem we've had is the battery but amazon are shipping a new one to us tomorrow so that should be a good thing as our battery is definitely dud - charged overnight last night, only used to demonstrate it etc at work today and the battery is less than half full.

Amazon still randomly deleting things people buy? I can't buy into a platform whereby the end user only licences things, and where the seller has the right and ability to alter/delete the purchase once it has happened. For the same reason I believe Apple to be a non-benevolent company, fuck them and their content control.

And its B&W, C21st etc etc.

• 10 months later...
Guest Gladstone

I got one of these fuckers for my birthday a few months ago and it looks ace. Haven't actually got round to properly using it yet but off on holiday next week and will be taking it with me rather than a big pile of books which should be good!

Was going to start a new thread for this, but possibly just keep it in here...?

Can anyone recommend good free / very cheap books to download?

Obviously sticking to legal downloads. I've downloaded a few of the classics that they're letting go for free, but if anyone has any recommendations, it would be much appreciated. :)

Guest Gladstone
Do you have the 3G version?

If so you have free access to the internet thanks to Amazon's sim card.

Really?

I don't have a 3G version incidentally, but, really? How did they fuck that one up? I presume it wasn't intentional.

Really?

I don't have a 3G version incidentally, but, really? How did they fuck that one up? I presume it wasn't intentional.

It's intentional. Amazon have an agreement with their 3G providers for it. I guess they figure most people are just going to use it to download books which doesn't take a lot of bandwidth. Also the cost of the agreement acts as a loss leader for Amazon as it's an incentive for people to buy a kindle and use that to spend more on content from Amazon.