aberdeen-music

In Atlanta - Stars

Greg In Atlanta

Guest idol_wild
How do you tell there is autotune on a vocal? ?(

It definitely sounds like it's being used, especially in the chorus.

It's got a strange Radio 1/Northsound tinge to it, this song.

You can hear it in the shift between notes and the "singing underwater" effect. It turns the natural variation in a human voice into robo-binary.

Now personally I hate autotune, but I accept that I'm a bit old fashioned and that it is a feature of a hell of a lot of music now. Not for me though.

I just feel it gives an odd tinge to the voice. Especially on backing vocals that are forced up well beyond the natural range of the tool. I accept that for some types of music it is a feature or an effect on the voice rather than it's use being completely down to correcting the tuning.

Out with use as a vocal effect, my main opinion of autotune is that if you need to use it all the time to make your vocals "correct" you probably just can't sing or your singing in the wrong style.

I do love autotune the news though.

• 2 weeks later...

I can totally see where you are all coming from, but the autotune was used as an effect on my vocals. I know that everyone has different opinions on whether or not it sounds good, but in my personal opinion, it gives our music a more electro feel and i think that it goes with the style of our music. We are making music that we like because we would like to listen back and enjoy the music ourselves. If other people enjoy it too, then i am delighted, but at the end of the day, we all make music because we like doing so. Cheers for the feedback however :)

• 2 weeks later...