aberdeen-music

diane cluck + will smith (of the hand) + kitchen cynics, peacocks thursday 23rd sept

oxbow lake

Diane Cluck, over from new york touring aboot.

Something really special about her pure and true visceral playing and dynamic vocals/lyrics. no idea how you catergorise her (i dont think we should) but i'll have a go:-

heavily associated with the new folk idiom and first coming to light through the golden apples of the sun comp by devandra banhart for arthur magazine and the underground smash (?) that was "wild deer at dawn". She has since always been evolving but seems to still keep that spellbinding delivery of these earlier tunes...........

playing with drummer/percussionst and all round talent anders griffin

in support is will smith from the hand who has played peacocks before. Kora, ukulele, vox and an abundance of instruments all plucked to support his story telling, which can range from fanciful, mischievous to heartbreaking. i never saw him last time in aberdeen but feedback was his kora playing was beautiful.

and how could you have a group of artists like this and not have alan aka kitchen cynics there too!? delighted to have such an impressive line up. hope to see you there.

starts at 8. 5 at the door

village sunsets on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

bringing village sunsets to the city

I'm really looking forward to this...I missed her last time, due to playing the same night.

It might be worth mentioning she has recorded with Jeffrey Lewis, as he has quite a few fans on here.

I intend rambling about my NYC experiences between songs. (e.g.how I got Lou Reed's DNA on my right hand, why cockroaches were nesting in my shoes etc)

Looking forward to Will too, as I've loved kora playing since seeing Jali Nyama Suso in the 80s.

Alan mentioned this last week and I knew I recognised the name so I had a dig about my collection and found an excellent freebie from Mojo with her on it as well as Davy Graham, Kevin Ayers, Pete Brown and Espers which I've been enjoying greatly these last few days. The Diane Cluck track is excellent - very late 60s/Sandy Denny style vibe to it - not sure if that's representative of her other stuff? I'll be along anyway

I see Diane's drummer is also a member of the excellent Bundles with Jeffrey Lewis and Kimya Dawson.

It's been a long time since I've seen Kitchen Cynics live too

Fuck me that was good !

I think thats the best I've seen Alan play in a long time, the zither improv was beautiful, Flies just about had me in tears, powerful stuff.

Will Smith's Kora playing was fantastic as was his voice, though I wasn't totally convinced that the two go together

It was the first time I've seen Diane and Anders and they did not disappoint either, Diane voice & guitar blended really well with Anders drumming/ percussion

Its a real pity so little people turned up for this, as it deserved a decent crowd

thanks. sorry i never got a chance to say hello.

yeah it was a special night. great wee place as well.

i know diane's tunes well so wasn't sure if they'd work together but i thought anders interpreted her songs so well. in fact it distracted me all the time because he is one amazing drummer i was mesmerised. the use of hands, fingers, sticks, clubs (?) the lot. I'd have to draw myself back. I tried the chloroform and encoruaging the others to leave without him but sadly he got away!!!!

but yeah great music. i'm half glad it was jsut us. i think they sold 25 tickets. crazy really. that's whay we normally stay to the shire, you can fill venue's !

cheers

andy

Fuck me that was good !

I think thats the best I've seen Alan play in a long time, the zither improv was beautiful, Flies just about had me in tears, powerful stuff.

Will Smith's Kora playing was fantastic as was his voice, though I wasn't totally convinced that the two go together

It was the first time I've seen Diane and Anders and they did not disappoint either, Diane voice & guitar blended really well with Anders drumming/ percussion

Its a real pity so little people turned up for this, as it deserved a decent crowd

totally agree FT about Alan, just magnifient completely in awe of how good he was last night Yeh Flies was phewww i don't know j & myself were close to tears as well. The new guitar just changes the songs. Will's playing is superb much better than last time & he did two Toumai Diabate tracks he confirmed, just beautiful. Diane had to follow these two

& wow she was superb, reminded me of Ani Defranco in places, despite the great great percussion would liked to have heard her solo so that the full scope of her voice & her guitar could be be heard.

It's a shame there wasnt more people at this, as judging from the size of the audience at gigs like Low Anthem/Jeffrey Lewis/Devendra Banhart in recent years there is a huge audience for that kind of thing and I'm sure they would have loved all the acts. I think it was best I've seen Alan. Wig Smith and Diane were both excellent too although I would like to see her solo next time. There is no doubt Anders was a good percussionist and when it worked it was amazing but I thought a few of the songs would have benefited more from just the voice and guitar

Thanks everyone for all the positive comments....I thought my singing was a bit rougher than usual, but I really enjoyed the night...I was blown away by Wig's set (but I'm a sucker for the kora anyway), and was in 'mesmerised' mode for Diane & Anders' set.

They certainly deserved a bigger turn out, but I reckon the weather would've put off a good few folk.