aberdeen-music

AberLet Property Lettings

waltz

Yes, on several occasions over the years, for my own (once) and others (many) behalf - Avoid like the plague.

Complete and utterly incompetent shower of shites who won't behave either legally or ethically once they have let you a property.

Try searching on here for an old thread with much more about them and other agents.

Yes, on several occasions over the years, for my own (once) and others (many) behalf - Avoid like the plague.

Complete and utterly incompetent shower of shites who won't behave either legally or ethically once they have let you a property.

Try searching on here for an old thread with much more about them and other agents.

This advice came way too late. Okay. I'm debating whether I'm going to operate an ignorance is bliss policy now or not...

You won't be able to gauge the true extent of their cuntyness until you find yourself in a scenario where you need something from them (like getting a deposit back, or getting a broken appliance fixed). Just be sure to read the lease thoroughly before you sign it: it's quite easy to get caught-up in blusterous excitement if this is your first flat, so take time to read over it and make sure it doesn't include anything that may allow them to fuck you over in the future. I leased a flat from Trinity Factors for a couple of years and they "accidentally" added an extra 100pcm to the lease before we signed it. You've gotta be careful with this jabronis.

A lot of agencies are very picky when it comes to returning deposits. Trinity Factors really did us over in this department when we moved out after two years. We left the flat probably in better condition than when we moved in (we replaced a number of faulty fixtures with our own money, gave one of the rooms a lick of paint, etc.), but they still did us out of some serious moolah. When you move in, go through your inventory very carefully to avoid this happening. Of course, not all landlords are bastards (our last landlady was an absolute gem; treated us like her own children and didn't take a penny off our deposits), but there are definitely a lot of them out there. Just be careful, basically.

You won't be able to gauge the true extent of their cuntyness until you find yourself in a scenario where you need something from them (like getting a deposit back, or getting a broken appliance fixed). Just be sure to read the lease thoroughly before you sign it: it's quite easy to get caught-up in blusterous excitement if this is your first flat, so take time to read over it and make sure it doesn't include anything that may allow them to fuck you over in the future. I leased a flat from Trinity Factors for a couple of years and they "accidentally" added an extra 100pcm to the lease before we signed it. You've gotta be careful with this jabronis.

A lot of agencies are very picky when it comes to returning deposits. Trinity Factors really did us over in this department when we moved out after two years. We left the flat probably in better condition than when we moved in (we replaced a number of faulty fixtures with our own money, gave one of the rooms a lick of paint, etc.), but they still did us out of some serious moolah. When you move in, go through your inventory very carefully to avoid this happening. Of course, not all landlords are bastards (our last landlady was an absolute gem; treated us like her own children and didn't take a penny off our deposits), but there are definitely a lot of them out there. Just be careful, basically.

Belvoir.

If you have the lease electronically and want to e-mail it to me I'll easily have a look over it for you.

I review leases as part of my job.

Cheers, it's all paper though. I could maybe scan it once I get a copy, but by that time chances are I'll have signed it... Will let you know if needs be. Thanks!

Why should landlords be out of pocket for other peoples actions?

Why should landlords look to find the flimsiest if any excuse to retain a (grossly overinflated) deposit or neglect/make extra charges for services that should be covered as part of a normal lease? Never mind the routinely argumentative, nay threatening exchanges every time you do need a bit of work done!

Then there is the matter of unscheduled and unannounced "inspections," without you getting the choice of being there or not, or workmen turning-up with no notice whatsoever, for work you didn't even know about in the first place. Imagine the surprise of waking-up one morning, with you and the GF naked in bed, to find a guy in overalls at the end of your bed, telling you that a plumber is currently dismantling your bog, after letting themselves-in for a non-emergency bit of work.

And yes - I did need a shite - urgently!

Welcome to the world of letting from APL! :swearing:

I don't think anybody is going to try and defend the actions of those who flout agreements, routinely trash flats, or get into the various forms of antisocial behaviour but a tenant who does conduct themselves properly should not have to put-up with this (and much much more) crap.

Oh and that reminds me of another one - The cunts refused to act over a seriously antisocial tenant, claiming it was a landlord matter and of course the landlord they represented was working abroad and apparently out of contact. Except that when we did finally get hold of him after several months trying, it turned out that his agreement did cover them acting on antisocial matters.

I'm sure you can get a copy before signing it, would be incredibly odd if they didn't allow it, as well as suspicious.

Check the last thread that featured APL - IIRC, they had just introduced some terms that insisted you put a substantial amount of non-refundable money up front before you even signed/got sight of the lease.

Why should landlords look to find the flimsiest if any excuse to retain a (grossly overinflated) deposit or neglect/make extra charges for services that should be covered as part of a normal lease? Never mind the routinely argumentative, nay threatening exchanges every time you do need a bit of work done!

Then there is the matter of unscheduled and unannounced "inspections," without you getting the choice of being there or not, or workmen turning-up with no notice whatsoever, for work you didn't even know about in the first place. Imagine the surprise of waking-up one morning, with you and the GF naked in bed, to find a guy in overalls at the end of your bed, telling you that a plumber is currently dismantling your bog, after letting themselves-in for a non-emergency bit of work.

And yes - I did need a shite - urgently!

Welcome to the world of letting from APL! :swearing:

I don't think anybody is going to try and defend the actions of those who flout agreements, routinely trash flats, or get into the various forms of antisocial behaviour but a tenant who does conduct themselves properly should not have to put-up with this (and much much more) crap.

Oh and that reminds me of another one - The cunts refused to act over a seriously antisocial tenant, claiming it was a landlord matter and of course the landlord they represented was working abroad and apparently out of contact. Except that when we did finally get hold of him after several months trying, it turned out that his agreement did cover them acting on antisocial matters.

Well yes those types of things are best avoided but my point stands that landlords who are not guilty of such approaches are quite within their right to ask for a deposit (I thought 1 month rent was standard?) to at least cover some costs should the tenants fail to look after their property. Because let's face it they could stand to lose a lot more and face attempting to recoup costs through the courts etc.

You are always going to get good and bad cases on each side....

Well yes those types of things are best avoided but my point stands that landlords who are not guilty of such approaches are quite within their right to ask for a deposit (I thought 1 month rent was standard?) to at least cover some costs should the tenants fail to look after their property. Because let's face it they could stand to lose a lot more and face attempting to recoup costs through the courts etc.

You are always going to get good and bad cases on each side....

Absolutely! A good landlord is someone to cherish. :)

Recently two or sometimes even three months rent rent seems have become common for a deposit.

Just that some names/firms do tend to appear quite frequently when the subject of crap landlords is raised. :D

Then there is the matter of unscheduled and unannounced "inspections," without you getting the choice of being there or not, or workmen turning-up with no notice whatsoever, for work you didn't even know about in the first place. Imagine the surprise of waking-up one morning, to find a guy in overalls at the end of your bed, telling you that a plumber is currently dismantling your bog, after letting themselves-in for a non-emergency bit of work.

This sounds only a bit more dramatic than my student halls last year, but we had... roughly the same problems; A flat full of girls and we constantly had work-men and cleaning ladies coming into our flat at all hours with absolutely no notice. To be fair, I'm not sure if the laws are different in regards to giving notice with student halls, and they were very, very good at sorting stuff out if it was broken, but there was an awkward situation with one of my flatmates that could've easily been avoided had they given us even a half-hour notice that they were coming round and were going to go into our rooms.

This sounds only a bit more dramatic than my student halls last year, but we had... roughly the same problems; A flat full of girls and we constantly had work-men and cleaning ladies coming into our flat at all hours with absolutely no notice. To be fair, I'm not sure if the laws are different in regards to giving notice with student halls, and they were very, very good at sorting stuff out if it was broken, but there was an awkward situation with one of my flatmates that could've easily been avoided had they given us even a half-hour notice that they were coming round and were going to go into our rooms.

Awkward situation you say...? :popcorn:

Awkward situation you say...? :popcorn:

My friend and ex flatmate lived with a girl once who was quite sexually adventurous. In their first year in halls they called around a repair man because their washing machine kept emitting this weird humming noise. Turns out said girl had left a big massive vibrator in her bedsheets and it was rattling around the drum of the washing machine.