aberdeen-music

to hell with you and all your friends...

Guest highroller

Guest highroller
Why oh mother of god why do they never write the actual lyrics inside the liner. I'm already simple enough.

it is quite annoying how the lyrics arent exactly the way they sing them...have you seen how many lyrics they dont use but write as well...

anyway...its an awesome album.

Guest WalkingOnGlass

But surely writing emotion off as teenage angst is completely naive...Do people not have feelings after they turn 20? Do they lose the will to care about any sort of personal issue? What's the difference between caring and writing lyrics about say, I dunno, Politics for example, and writing about being left by someone you care about? I think you'll find that a higher percentage of people will care a lot more, and be effected a lot more, by the end of a relationship, or being cheated on, than they ever will about certain political viewpoints..And besides, isn't there millions of songs about the said e'mo' issues out there that don't get grouped in with the whole 'emo' thing. Every piece of music has emotion in it in some way, if not, then surely it's lifeless?

*Cue Onslaught*

But surely writing emotion off as teenage angst is completely naive...Do people not have feelings after they turn 20? Do they lose the will to care about any sort of personal issue? What's the difference between caring and writing lyrics about say' date=' I dunno, Politics for example, and writing about being left by someone you care about? I think you'll find that a higher percentage of people will care a lot more, and be effected a lot more, by the end of a relationship, or being cheated on, than they ever will about certain political viewpoints..And besides, isn't there millions of songs about the said e'mo' issues out there that don't get grouped in with the whole 'emo' thing. Every piece of music has emotion in it in some way, if not, then surely it's lifeless?

*Cue Onslaught*[/quote']

In my opinion, music *is* an audible encapsulation of emotion, which is why I am at odds with the whole emo tag/genre/scapegoat thing. It's almost as if it suggests itself to be the only emotional form of music. Of course people have feelings after they are 20, if anything, they are intensified and develop further as you grow older. The biting point for a lot of people is probably the whole "heart on the sleeve" aspect of it all, and that the lyrics are so blatantly giving away the subject matter. It's hardly coy, is it? I think you answered both our questions when you said about there being a million songs about love and relationships.

However, that's just the way I like my music. I don't suppose Trent Reznor is being too coy when he talks about fucking you like an animal, yet something still seems a bit more honest/desperate/carnal/sincere/etc. about nine inch nails' music to me, than the whine-o-matic songs I've heard at gigs/moshulu/wherever.

I was watching that big brother efourum thing last night and it was talking about how much of a bunny boiler michelle is. they raised an interesting point about how she was behaving, of how she was a lovesick jealous teenager; this apparently would have been acceptable - had she not been 23. this kind of struck a chord with me about some of the emo-music, and "fashion-core" culture, dare i say it. i could understand it, if you were 16-17... but in your twenties, aren't there more pressing concerns in your life, more important things going on around you or in the world (not necessarily political), aren't there just a few other things you could write about? something a little more selfless?

at the end of the day, people like what they like, and it's certainly not for me to criticise. a lot of emo music i hate the sound of it before even beginning to decipher any lyrics, but a lot of it i would like, due to some of its roots in rock/metal music. what turns me off like a cold hand in a prostrate examination, is the culture, the attitude, the self-importance. though it has to be said, i'm finding rock music a bit of a turn off at the moment anyway.

Guest highroller

i see your point and you have some very valid views so im not going to disrespect you.

What i will say is that maybe some people dont have some of the other problems...maybe jamesy and myself dont really have other stuff to worry about.

with alot of music genres come people within those genres in the bands...well in alot of cases the people within these genres are very similar personality wise to be honest...thats why it relatable...cant you see that point. Thats why in alot of cases you get people who say..."if you like this then youll like this band etc etc?"

What the hell? selfless? Making music is a very selfish thing...its an artistic expression, an outlet. You said it yourself about what music means. To be honest (ill speak for jamesy here as well) and at the risk of sounding like arrogant (haha irony) I/we dont really have much else to worry about...we would be classed as middle class, steady homes/parents etc. aside from the whole relationship trials and tribulations side of things, the biggest worry i have heaps of unpaid parking tickets and id expect a fucking slap in the face from any member of my band if i tried to write a song about that.

I dont normally say alot but your post is good and certainly warrants a reply in more depth than usual so ill advise you that past lyrics that i have written (for quik) have covered such issues as nervous breakdowns, depression, reflection on a post sept 11th world, and suicide. Some of which i have had people say to me they have really related to.

In weapon i have only really written on relationship issues because thats all that concerns me at this point. Jamesy would have to interpret his lyrics for you if he wanted, same with Dan. i understand them as i have to sing them and only feel right doing so if i can get the true meaning but i dont want to comment on someone elses lyrics as they are very personal.

Sorry we arent Pennywise or Rage against the machine. (As much as i love pennywise) I dont give a rats ass what they are on about. I simply dont RELATE.

see my point?

fair cop. with respect to the comment about music being more selfless, it doesn't have to be a selfish pursuit. to clarify, i concede (and concur! sorry, watched 'catch me if you can' recently) that some of the best/most popular pop/rock/metal bands have featured self-posturing, attention grabbing frontmen or frontwomen, e.g. marilyn manson, madonna, queen, whatever. i think i was trying to say that it doesn't *all* have to be like that. i completely agree that a lot of music is self-release, it definitely does (and should) feel good, but there's also room for empathy, compassion, respect, etc. blah blah blah.

it's very honest of you to say that you don't worry about a lot of the problems other people face, however, that's not to say you shouldn't worry about such things. i mean 'you' in the impersonal sense. like you say, you're not trying to be pennywise or RATM, but it doesn't hurt to have a little diversity. i think you hit the nail on the head about relating to music though, it depends who you want to appeal to, if you want to appeal to anybody at all. and it sounds as if you have found who you want to relate to.

to be honest i just did it to annoy you and ben who like to argue all the time, it would be the same if i started a thread about opeth and you were to say ".............................progressive/balck/death/doom/folk metal :moody: "

and no i wasnt just cos they are Emo, i dont like the type of music, not the name or the lyrics...or the floppy hair. if you dont like people stating a dislike for bands you like dont post on a puplic forum.

btw i happen to think taking back sunday are one of the better emo bands...even tho they sound like the all american rejects

*awaits responce*

Guest highroller

one of their songs sound similar to something they would write...

*claps*

well done, you formed an opinion on very little knowledge...youre great...

dont mess with me on metal...ive seen some bands that would make you cream...

oh and i like a bit of death metal...just starting to buy the obituary back catalogue on cd as had it on tape when i was a teenager.

Guest WalkingOnGlass
to be honest i just did it to annoy you and ben who like to argue all the time' date=' it would be the same if i started a thread about opeth and you were to say ".............................progressive/balck/death/doom/folk metal :moody: "

and no i wasnt just cos they are Emo, i dont like the type of music, not the name or the lyrics...or the floppy hair. if you dont like people stating a dislike for bands you like dont post on a puplic forum.

btw i happen to think taking back sunday are one of the better emo bands...even tho they sound like the all american rejects

*awaits responce*[/quote']

You failed then, didn't you? I Kinda like Opeth really, I'm sure there are a few moments on 'This is Revenge', in fact, the whole thing really, that sound a lot more like Opeth than Taking Back Sunday, and to be honest, I'm not a fan of the new album whatsoever, but I do think 'Tell All Your Friends' is a piece of sheer class and genius. As for me ''liking to argue all the time'', you're pretty unobservant, my friend. I'd prefer to discuss things that I care about and stay clear of anything that reeks of immaturity, like your good self ;)