aberdeen-music

Is Joey Jordison the best drummer of the past 25 years?

Hahhahahahahahahahahaha !!!!!!

'oi White stripes, you know that hugely successful song you did that's become an anthem on the terraces, used endlessly in tv and film and generally entered the public consciousness probably forever... Yeah, that one... Go add a few paradiddles coz the drums are shite!'

That main riff in "7 Nation Army" reminds me of something that Hendrix would write (if he was live).

The riff is so catchy the drums barely matter. However, if it had more competent drumming it would be, IMHO, even better. Now I sound arrogant.

Anyway... Carry on....

That main riff in "7 Nation Army" reminds me of something that Hendrix would write (if he was live).

The riff is so catchy the drums barely matter. However, if it had more competent drumming it would be, IMHO, even better. Now I sound arrogant.

Anyway... Carry on....

But then it wouldn't be 7 nation army. It's a sum of it's parts and changing anything would turn it into something completely different. That's the sound they wanted and it's what got them successful so its perfect as it is.

I'm trying to think of examples to show what I mean and the only thing that springs to mind is the film Donnie Darko. It came out, folk loved it, was really successful but the then the director went back and released a directors cut and turned it into a shit waste of two hours all because he wanted more complete exposition.

Em...Early wu tang albums had shit production, almost unlistenable at times, but I wouldn't have it any other way. That's what makes them them.

The riff is so catchy the drums barely matter. However, if it had more competent drumming it would be, IMHO, even better.

Sorry, what? The reason the song works is because of how simple it is. Not every song needs to have widdly-diddly fills on any instrument, let alone on the drums.

Also, how can something be more competent?! That makes no sense at all.

I enjoy seeing metalheads living up the worst stereotypes. It means that I don't have to feel bad about judgemental all the time about them.

Hahhahahahahahahahahaha !!!!!!

'oi White stripes, you know that hugely successful song you did that's become an anthem on the terraces, used endlessly in tv and film and generally entered the public consciousness probably forever... Yeah, that one... Go add a few paradiddles coz the drums are shite!'

QFT.

Best piece of hi-hat drumming in my opinion can be found here

, especially from about 3.30 on.

:up:

Sorry, what? The reason the song works is because of how simple it is. Not every song needs to have widdly-diddly fills on any instrument, let alone on the drums.

Also, how can something be more competent?! That makes no sense at all.

I enjoy seeing metalheads living up the worst stereotypes. It means that I don't have to feel bad about judgemental all the time about them.

Personally I think the song works because of a very strong and catchy riff. Jack White makes that song

I never said it should be widdly. I compared the riff to Hendrix and would love to hear a drum beat that would be a bit more colourful. I'm not going to cry myself to sleep if I don't hear a drum beat with some fills.

The most amusing part is when people are stereotyped as metalheads when they have been mostly listening to ambient and classical for the last couple of years.

grapepae

i think some of the views on this thread are a perfect example of why most bands fail. Writing something more complicated than it needs to be 9 times out of 10 will ruin a song. Who needs drum fills and complicated rythems when the most simplistic thing can often be the most effective, especially in this case. You often find the people who make it big are those who are not afraid to keep it simple yet effective.

"boring drumming is bad drumming" - complete and utter nonsense, thats not an opinion thats just ignorance as far as i am concerned, sorry to come across so harshly.

I agree 100% with the keep it simple theory. More often than not if a part isn't working people will try to make it more complex in an attempt to make it work, rather than stripping it down.

Boring drumming isn't always bad drumming. I find much of the super technical fast drumming dull as dishwater. What I'm not saying though is that I like Meg White (tongue firmly in cheek)!!

For what it's worth, I actually rate Jimmy Chamberlain up there as one of my favorite drummers. Derrick MacKenzie from Jamiroquai is also, in my view, very under-rated as a drummer. All time favorite for me - Buddy Rich!!