aberdeen-music

Is Joey Jordison the best drummer of the past 25 years?

Maybe I'll buy a piano and do a concert playing only middle C on the 1 and 3. After all, I could play more if I wanted, but I'm choosing simplicity and if fits with the piece. Maybe I'll have a look in the classifieds to see if anyone needs a keyboard player. How hard can that be for a concert pianist?

This is the most confusing piece of attempted sarcasm I've ever read.

You musical snobs make my balls itch. Meg White plays an instrument, ergo, is a musician. She's not a great drummer granted, but a drummer she is nonetheless. She doesn't do anything fancy, but she can still play the fucking things.

Not forgetting the fact that she'll probably give a better blowy than Virgil Donati, Nick Barker etc...

</male chauvanism>

I would like to think that I know my metal and Joey wouldn't even reach my personal top 20.

Joey is very one-dimensional.

Best Metal drummers IMHO ....

Brann from Mastodon.

Gene Hoglan- His Ghost strokes and creative jazz background is just scraping the surface of his abilities.

George Kolias- Not amazingly creative but fast and very accurate.

Nick Barker.

Tomas Hakke.

I would like to think that I know my metal and Joey wouldn't even reach my personal top 20.

Joey is very one-dimensional.

Best Metal drummers IMHO ....

Brann from Mastodon.

Gene Hoglan- His Ghost strokes and creative jazz background is just scraping the surface of his abilities.

George Kolias- Not amazingly creative but fast and very accurate.

Nick Barker.

Tomas Hakke.

I have to agree with hog on bran dailor and Tomas haake. Top 5 in my book. Joey is lightyears behind these guys

I have to agree with hog on bran dailor and Tomas haake. Top 5 in my book. Joey is lightyears behind these guys

In addition to the ones mentioned here there are plenty more incredibly talented drummers in metal that aren't that well known comparatively. I'd say best drummer I've seen is probably Jon Karel. His old band played here last year and some of the stuff he plays is insane. When your bands go from techgrind to jazz passages suppose you've got to be versatile!

YouTube - Jon Karel drum clinic performance

In particular about 1 mins 30 in here. I've not seen anyone who can make a 3 piece kit sound better than that!

Stef Broks (Textures + Exivious) is another name that comes to mind for versatility too. Could think of plenty more given time but cba.

Anyway yeah, Joey Jordison fits Slipknot well, but nowhere near being the fastest or most versatile drummer in the scheme of things.

i dont think Joey himself would claim to be anywhere near the best Metal drummer out there, still he is pretty fucking good!!

out of interest, what makes a drummer one dimensional? especially when your playing death metal stuff like slipknot, they are hardly known for their experimentation with styles. that guy 2 posts back is pretty amazing like, although the stuff he does wtih his feet is very similar to most metal drummers but the shit with the snare drum and the hi hat cymbol is amazing.

this guy for me is the best drummer i have ever seen, if you can ignore the stupid beatbox guy and just watch the drummer.

"Jordison is noted for simultaneously playing two bass drums"

What an innovator.

Lol, Metallica Were doing that in the late 80's xD even then im sure there was a drummer to do that before Ulrich.

But yeah, deffo not the best drummer, He's up there, so is Grohl and Keith Moon....In All Fairness im not sure if it was these forums but i seen a thread for "best guitarist" and I think its the same concept....depends on technique/style of music