aberdeen-music

Is Joey Jordison the best drummer of the past 25 years?

She may be a drummer, but whether she can actually play drums is another story!!!!

It's not, it's the same story. Clearly she can, the sticks hit the drums and the cymbals to produce a sound, that's playing the drums. I'm with Plinth on this one, what Meg does is ideal for the band she's in where the focus is, and should be, on Jack doing his thing.

I'm going to be contentious and say that anyone who does extended live drum solos should be removed from the list of contenders for the accolade of best drummers. Drum solos are rubbish.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to be contentious and say that anyone who does extended live drum solos should be removed from the list of contenders for the accolade of best drummers. Drum solos are rubbish.

Its not contentious at all, drum solos are, by and large, rubbish. Much like Meg White. And the White Stripes actually.

As for whether she qualifies as a drummer is down to individual interpretation - Plinth thinks she is, I think she isn't. Meh. I wouldn't call a learner driver a driver, so why would I call a learner drummer a drummer.

I'm not all that keen on them, but I've seen the White Stripes at Leeds fest. The drumming is simple, but she doesn't go out of time. The White Stripes don't have a bassist, so she is the rhythm section in its entirety. It would sound stupid if she was giving it some welly with audacious fills and stuff, and whether she is capable of it or not is completely irrelevant.

I cannot fathom this recent ideology that a simplistic instrumentalist cannot be considered a musician. It's a boat load of bogus hokum.

I cannot fathom this recent ideology that a simplistic instrumentalist cannot be considered a musician. It's a boat load of bogus hokum.

That's a different argument and one I don't agree with either - she's still a musician, its whether she's a "drummer" that's the question. If she was a talented instrumentalist who chose minimalism, then fine. She could still be a great drummer. But she's not. She's quite literally someone that walked off the street and hits a few bits and pieces. That's not a drummer. My mum could do that and she's not a drummer. It kind of does a dis-service to drummers to say she does. There's nothing remotely avant-garde about what she does.

Anyway, said my bit. Off to pub. Hope the White Stripes aren't fucking playing on the juke box though Karma probably dictates they will.

Come on, surely it's Travis Barker...

:up:

i like joey's chops but he's certainly not the best.

PS, Meg stripe is an abomination. anyone who thinks otherwise knows nought about drums.

"I hit a triangle once, that makes me a percussionist"

i played a timpani piece in college as part of a grade 5 assesment. i'd never played them before then or after. i did get an A for the piece but i wouldnt say "i play timpani"

That's a different argument and one I don't agree with either - she's still a musician, its whether she's a "drummer" that's the question. If she was a talented instrumentalist who chose minimalism, then fine. She could still be a great drummer. But she's not. She's quite literally someone that walked off the street and hits a few bits and pieces. That's not a drummer. My mum could do that and she's not a drummer. It kind of does a dis-service to drummers to say she does. There's nothing remotely avant-garde about what she does.

Anyway, said my bit. Off to pub. Hope the White Stripes aren't fucking playing on the juke box though Karma probably dictates they will.

Where did anyone say she was avant-garde? You are trying to conjure up some argument which seems to exist only in your head. The definition of a drummer is someone who plays drums, it is not defined by how complex the method of doing this is. She plays the drums in time and it suits the style of their music perfectly in my opinion - note I said my opinion, i'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise, all I said originally was that I preferred her approach than someone who is all flash and no substance, then you and these other folk who can't seem to understand the definition of drummer waded in with your complete nonsense. Many people can walk in off the street and play drums to some form or fashion - conversely many people have little to no co-ordination and can't play in time at all. I've seen local bands in Aberdeen where drummers are so busy trying their fancy fills they apparently forgot to stop off at the point marked 'learning to keep time first and foremost'.

Just because it is simplistic in nature doesn't mean she isn't a drummer. That is a point that cannot be argued with. Look up the definition of drummer.

So if a bare-bones drummer can't be considered a drummer, then can a bare-bones band be considered a band? I guess The Ramones never actually existed if that's the case. They're just a brand of t shirt.

A simplistic drummer can only be considered a drummer if they are capable of much more, but choose to play simply... That would put just about anyone off starting a band. I'm mint at powerchords, but I can't sweep pick for shit. That's my guitar and amp going on ebay then.

You don't have to be a virtuoso to write a great song, but likewise if you are a virtuoso doesn't mean you can't write a great song.

Meg White isn't a great drummer, but they've written some amazing songs. I genuinely don't believe she choses to play the way she does, I believe she plays what she does because she can't play anything else. That doesn't mean that what she plays is wrong or doesn't work. If she was a decent drummer why doesn't she play with The Raconteurs?

You don't have to be a virtuoso to write a great song, but likewise if you are a virtuoso doesn't mean you can't write a great song. QUOTE]

You should have stopped at that point. That made sense. The rest was just more rubbish.

There may be a reason that The Raconteurs are less appealing than The White Stripes....the lack of Meg. Arf.

She could not play with the Raconteurs for plenty of reasons. It's not a side project if it has the same members!

Billie Joe Armstrong's side-project, Pinhead Gunpowder, has Aaron Cometbus on drums, and he's fucking terrible.

I'm a bit concerned that Billie Joe isn't content with subjecting us to Green Day and now has to have a side project as well. Thankfully I haven't heard of it.

You musical snobs make my balls itch. Meg White plays an instrument, ergo, is a musician. She's not a great drummer granted, but a drummer she is nonetheless. She doesn't do anything fancy, but she can still play the fucking things. As Soda Jerk so eloquently put it, The Ramones could barely play their instruments, but they did pretty well for themselves, are they not musicians? Clem Burke of Blondie is a good and talented drummer, but when he joined the Ramones he only lasted one gig because he couldn't keep up with them. Does that make him a shit drummer because he can't play fast? Is he not a drummer either then?

You musical snobs make my balls itch. Meg White plays an instrument, ergo, is a musician. She's not a great drummer granted, but a drummer she is nonetheless. She doesn't do anything fancy, but she can still play the fucking things. As Soda Jerk so eloquently put it, The Ramones could barely play their instruments, but they did pretty well for themselves, are they not musicians? Clem Burke of Blondie is a good and talented drummer, but when he joined the Ramones he only lasted one gig because he couldn't keep up with them. Does that make him a shit drummer because he can't play fast? Is he not a drummer either then?

I agree with the sentiment but it's wrong to suggest that The Ramones couldn't play, in fact it's an acknowledged fact that they their music wasn't as simple as it appeared....