aberdeen-music

Piezio System?

Tav

i really want to have a shot on one

they arent supposed to be perfect acoustic sound, but are close enough for an odd song or two if you play electric guitar (and cant be bothered carrying aand micing an acoustic

to let them sound their best, i think you really need a full range speaker system, ie a pa, as they wont sound as acousticey through a normal guitar amp

according to one guy i know, they sound rather filthy and cool with a dash of distortion

David

In each bridge saddle is a small piezio generator. When the string vibrates it cause the piezio to vibrate and produce an electric signal. This then goes into a small pre amp which EQ's etc. The sound which comes out sounds quite like an acoustic guitar. I am looking at the Graph Tech FAAS system which has graphite saddles for less string friction and apprently a lot closer sound to an acoustic than other peizio systems.

Well I know these things work well I just wanted to see if anyone has any helpful tips on what systems to buy and what not to buy. I'll be getting an acoustic at some point as well but it's the flexibility it adds to your guitar. Flick of a switch and you get acoustic sounds without the hassel of feedback etc. Great!

Stone from Pearl Jam has a strat with a Piezio system which he uses in some songs. Sounds good and he choses to use it even though he has acoustics he can use live as well...which he does...which is quite confusing.

You must have had your head in the sand. Two manufacturers which spring to mind and Parker Fly and Godin do it on their Solidac Two Voice model. It's different from the piezio you'd install on an acoustic as these are contained within the bridge saddles.

Well you could easily run it through a modeller but it's not really the point...Piezio only systems on an acoustic guitar will sound much the same, hence why people combine them with a microphone signal. It's not really in comeptition with an acoustic just giving you the ability to sound like on without the hassle...I'd still like to hear any one's experiences...I thought more people would have used one?

almost all cheaper end electro acoustics use piezo systems, no extra modelling, just a small preamp with a few controls (depending on the model) (usually volume and a tone/eq control)

they are slightly limited in sounds, so most of the better versions also use soundboard pickups and other similar devices, and mix them together...

so, yes a piezo will sound pretty acousticey, even on an electric, the only problem is the fact that the guitar would have a solid body, not a hollow acoustic one so will vibrate and react slightly differently, but they still do a nice job of it

there are many reasons to go for a electric guitar fitted with piezo, the first is cost, its probably cheaper to get a piezo for an electric than to buy a whole electroacoustic. and also there is the convenience and portability of it. as you only have to carry one guitar and you dont have to switch guitars between songs, just flick a switch... so less to carry and setup, and therefore less to go wrong.

plus some people just like the sound of piezo's i know of people who use them with distortion as they would a normal pickup for some added variation in sounds, and they supposedly sound rather filthy and nasty...

so for the same reason you might want to use a tele for one song instead of a les paul, you may like to use a piezo fitted guitar (be it electro acoustic or electric) instead of a normal magnetic pickup

one thing, i know some guitars with piezos use two outputs, one for magnetic pickups, and one for piezo, this would probably be preferable to you can stick the piezo via the pa, and the magnetic via your amp. and you can select either or both of the outputs via switches on the guitar

i still really want to give a piezo fitted guitar a shot

David

Guest lime ruined my life

so' date=' yes a piezo will sound pretty acousticey, even on an electric, the only problem is the fact that the guitar would have a solid body, not a hollow acoustic one so will vibrate and react slightly differently, but they still do a nice job of it

David[/quote']

thats what i meant.

if they sound good and you dont already have an acoustic then it sounds like a good idea. however, i have an acoustic, should i wish to electrify it il probably buy a acoustic peizo for it. but for now, and ever, i have no money.

thats what i meant.

if they sound good and you dont already have an acoustic then it sounds like a good idea. however' date=' i have an acoustic, should i wish to electrify it il probably buy a acoustic peizo for it. but for now, and ever, i have no money.[/quote']

ther is still the fact of portability, if you intend playing a gig, its quite a bit of hassle carrying an acoustic with you as well as an electric, as they are generally bigger and more fragile

and Tav, i remember years ago playing an Ibanez of some sort in bruce millers with a piezo fitted, but at the time i didnt really know what it meant so didnt pay attention... but they sold that a long long time ago (i think it may have been an s series ibanez actually, i remember the thin body)

if i see anythign new, i will give you a shout

David