aberdeen-music

Rights When Renting A Property...

Skubbs

I've tried looking online but can't find anything, just wondering if anyone has had any problems with their rented properties and can offer advice.

We moved in at the end of May to a lovely flat, but have been told that our next door neighbour has mental problems and has a social worker that visits regularly. The person is older and have the tv or radio up and a stupidly high volume. It's so bad that we can hear every word that's being said clearly, even though there are two walls and a corridor separating us. The neighbours upstairs bang on the wall during the night in an attempt to quieten the old fucker down but it doesn't work and it just keeps us awake instead.

Also, the police visit the flat at the end of the buildings every so often and we've found out that it's because the occupants are known junkies and suspected dealers.

Should the landlord or estate agent have told us about this beforehand? We did ask the guy who showed us around the flat if there were any problems with neighbours, but he said he didn't know anything about the property and was just there to show us around. It just bugs me that the whole building is aware of these problem neighbours, and we weren't warned. Or is this just a case of "shit happens"?

I've tried googling it but nothing helpful comes up, so I may need to visit the CAB

I've tried looking online but can't find anything, just wondering if anyone has had any problems with their rented properties and can offer advice.

We moved in at the end of May to a lovely flat, but have been told that our next door neighbour has mental problems and has a social worker that visits regularly. The person is older and have the tv or radio up and a stupidly high volume. It's so bad that we can hear every word that's being said clearly, even though there are two walls and a corridor separating us. The neighbours upstairs bang on the wall during the night in an attempt to quieten the old fucker down but it doesn't work and it just keeps us awake instead.

Visit CAB, maybe the landlord isn't even aware of it.

If you're concerned about the old man contact the Social Work Office to pass on your concerns! Or phone the council's loud noise people, dunno what they're called - if they feel that there's more than just loud noise they have a duty to pass that information on.

The Police will be keeping the info about the 'suspected dealers' to themselves because that'll be coming from intelligence. If things go wrong the only thing you can do is contact the Police. I can't help but put my Social Worker hat on, and if these drug users have children contact Social Work. Info can be passed anonymously.

Well we're not the first people our landlords have rented the propery too, and the last couple of folk were here for a while I think. I doubt they wouldn't have been aware of the old man, since he said that he wasn't going to clean the corridor we share because the girl who lived here before used to do it...

I vaguely remembered something about when you sell a house you have to answer questions about neighbours honestly, I just wasn't sure about renting.

I don't think they have children, I'm only aware of one baby in the building (it's an old listed building so the flats are all spread out) and that's at the opposite side from the junkies.

I've got something else to speak to the landlord about so I'll ask them if the previous occupant had any problems with the neighbour... I just wanted to know if they should have warned us.

I found the flat on aspc, and it was dealt with via James and George Collie. It's a private landlord, and so far not really any big problems other than that strange noisy man next door.