Mankind?

Hagar The Womb

DIRT

Lost Cherrees

Harum Scarum

Poison Girls

Life Cycle

Guest allsystemsfail

And while not strictly punk (though they were strongly linked with the anarcho punk community), I'm also gonna say Back To The Planet.

Guest allsystemsfail
Sleater Kinney;

Not strictly punk in their sound' date=' but certainly in their ethos.[/quote']

Certainly.

Actually, Lora McFarlane from SK played (with 99) at Drakes in 1999. The band with which I was involved back then - Collateral Damage, supported.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

For me, it would have to be Health Hazard's Mandy. HH played up here in 1994 and I couldn't believe it when this softly-spoken woman introduced the first song politely, then barked like hell down the mic. Top notch.

Any favourite female fronted punk bands? Here are mine:

Vice Squad

Rubella Ballet

Mankind?

Hagar The Womb

Lost Cherrees

Life Cycle

Bis and ATR had some awesome female vocal led tracks. Anyway, why do female punk bands often have such obviously gender-loaded names? Okay, I know why, just seems a bit of a cliche in some ways. Muh, shut up me.

Guest allsystemsfail
X Ray Spex

The Slits

The Raincoats

Essential Logic

Poison Girls

Dolly Mixture

Marine Girls

Shop Assistants

(last 2 only tenuously punk)

You like Poison Girls? Cool. Did you catch them on the occasions they made it up here? While I discovered them way back, I only really began to fully appreciate how good a band they were until much later. I saw them in London 1995 as part of Vi's 60th birthday celebration.

You like Poison Girls? Cool. Did you catch them on the occasions they made it up here? While I discovered them way back' date=' I only really began to fully appreciate how good a band they were until much later. I saw them in London 1995 as part of Vi's 60th birthday celebration.[/quote']

I got into them via a side-route, which was a single Vi Subversa did with Robert Lloyd, as I was a big Nightingales fan (and later Robert Lloyd & the New Four Seasons). I now wish I had seen them up here.

Guest allsystemsfail
I got into them via a side-route' date=' which was a single Vi Subversa did with Robert Lloyd, as I was a big Nightingales fan (and later Robert Lloyd & the New Four Seasons). I now wish I had seen them up here.[/quote']

The single with both Robert Lloyd and Vi? Yeah, I remember coming across it in One Up (I'd heard nothing about it elsewhere), though didn't buy a copy. Did you catch The Nightingales at the Three Of A Different Kind show at the 62 Club in 1984? Anarcho outfits Omega Tribe and Toxic Shock played that night too. Me? I missed it. :(

Guest allsystemsfail
Betty Blowtorch (think Nashville Pussy but all-female)

L7

Lunachicks

The Slits

Girlschool (ok' date=' they are a rock band really)

etc[/quote']

Did you go see Girlschool at Drummonds? I did think about going along. Had their first three albums back in the day. Discovered them via Motorhead.