Since there's been a load of pubs and clubs made recently

Guest RomanChoke

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stuartmaxwell

we could improvise the priory by dropping a large bomb on it

taking into account the poor accuracy of the possible pilot condidate, the said bomb should be fitted with a ned seeker

could be the end of belmont st,

i just hope it misses exodus :)

how about more gallery space? or a natural history museum? or another museum? or more public space? or a youth cafe? or how about a public art space, where people can go in off the street and paint, sculpt, design, photograph, build whatever the hell they wanted to and free lessons for young people with a cafe maybe and a small shop where people could sell what they make(if they so wished). i know we've already got the peacock gallery which fullfills a similar kind of role but on a small scale but what about if you took a building like the old hmv shop on union street and turned that into an art space? it would improve union street and be a more central location. you could even fit a stage in there for bands to play on.

i'd also like to see something down the beach like satrosphere but for marine life. i mean we've got a fisheries research centre in aberdeen couldn't you use their skills and create some kind of marine science education centre but in a smilar fun way to satrosphere? just ideas like, and would be far more appealing to tourists and the like than pubs.

Guest allsystemsfail
what do you think would be a better improvisation or building to be made in aberdeen?

An autonomous social centre. And if you'd like to see such a space in Aberdeen, then go support the benefit show (funds raised from which will be used in the setting up of such a centre) at Drakes, Friday August 20th. Full line up still to be confirmed.

Guest allsystemsfail
how about more gallery space? or a natural history museum? or another museum? or more public space? or a youth cafe? or how about a public art space' date=' where people can go in off the street and paint, sculpt, design, photograph, build whatever the hell they wanted to and free lessons for young people with a cafe maybe and a small shop where people could sell what they make(if they so wished). i know we've already got the peacock gallery which fullfills a similar kind of role but on a small scale but what about if you took a building like the old hmv shop on union street and turned that into an art space? it would improve union street and be a more central location. you could even fit a stage in there for bands to play on.

[/quote']

The creation of a space for local artists in which to work? A social centre would provide just such a function - one of many in fact.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

i'd like a park-like area in the center that was well maintained, you know the bit in the middle of aberdeen uni where everyone just lounges around in the summer? like that, but not just for stoodents. also this social/arts center would be ace. there are lots of decent youth centres and stuff all over belgium, the government puts a lot of money into it because it stops kids getting bored and turning into neds

Does Aberdeen even have a proper museum? I know we have a few small ones round about.

I really like Dave's idea of using the old HMV for something benifital. I like the stage/cafe idea a lot. You could have bands/poetry and all sorts rather than restricting yourself to one thing, plus a cafe helps something like that become more financially sustainable I am sure. Along with the art related idea it sounds like it would be a great place for Aberdeen to have.

I'm liking these concepts. Very much so. Perhaps those of us motivated enough should bring the aforementioned ideas forward to local MPs/councillors?

I am glad you suggested that. It would be good if some people could colate a lot of ideas and perhaps make an effort to get things done.

Damn straight. Any politician worth their salt should see these ideas as a genuine and alternative means to not only brighten up Aberdeen' date=' negate binge-drinking culture, and attract tourism, but educate people also.[/quote']

So are you putting yourself forward as someone to help put the ideas across? The points you made on brightening up Aberdeen and negating drinking culture stand out as being two good ones. I'd certainly like to help out if people went ahead with it.

Guest tv tanned

As someone who works for a local MSP, if you were to write to us, we would certainly take your suggestions up with the council. Provided you put enough detail into your suggestions.

Similarly, writing to the planning committee members on ACC and expressing your concerns/sharing your ideas would probably be a good thing as well.

Always put in the letter that you are writing to them in their role as a member of the planning committee, otherwise some will just send a short reply saying 'I am not your local councillor'

We'll need to know if there's a demand for these facilities' date=' and perhaps draw up a solid agenda. So far, these are just ideas. But good ones none-the-less. :)[/quote']

Well hopefully this thread will give an insight into wether not people are interested in such facilites. Good ideas for sure.

Guest scott cs.

you should make one of those internet petitions you see going about and post it on various other forums aswell as alerting the local press to it's exsistence. a purpose built website would also aid in Joe Public taking it abit more seriously and would also provide information on any progress that has been made.

Guest tv tanned

I realise my idea of writing to an MSP is probably not quite ANARCHY!!!11! enough, but would probably be an effective, and usually fairly quick, method of operating.

Guest stuartmaxwell

after the amount of money the council spent on belmont st??those cobbles were shipped from some foreign country and are about 150 per cobble, apparently!

we do have a park in the city centre in union gdnes, perhaps something could be added there, unfortunately aberdeen fares low in the "culture vulture" stakes :moody:

the autonomous social centre is a great idea though, i really hope that gets going!1 :up:

I realise my idea of writing to an MSP is probably not quite ANARCHY!!!11! enough' date=' but would probably be an effective, and usually fairly quick, method of operating.[/quote']

Yip it sure would be effective and couple that with letters to other people and ideas like a website then you've got a good start for sure.