aberdeen-music

Drum makes??

Drummerboy

Ok

Been browsing some sites on my day off, as you do, and was just wondering what make of kits people liked? It does not have to be your own as most drummers always have that "I wish I had that" kit in their head. Been looking particularly at DW and Brady kits. I know DW and have played and seen a few live and they seem pretty decent. Was wondering if anyone had heard a Brady kit before as they use that jarrh wood that apparently makes the drums sound lower than their sizes? So yeah, what make of kits do you like and why?:up:

Don't like DW. Buying one was a big mistake. Could never get on with the thing for some reason....dunno why, but I hated it. Sound was decent enough, just found it horrid to play.

Also, the shells badly warped on me....so much so that you have to force heads onto the bearing edges. All this despite the kit being stored in perfect conditions of temperature and humidity.

Crap.

Don't like DW. Buying one was a big mistake. Could never get on with the thing for some reason....dunno why, but I hated it. Sound was decent enough, just found it horrid to play.

Also, the shells badly warped on me....so much so that you have to force heads onto the bearing edges. All this despite the kit being stored in perfect conditions of temperature and humidity.

Crap.

Good to know as I was looking at a DW kit but may get something else now.,

Don't know much about the rest of their kit, but I had a go of an 18" Brady bass drum about 3 years ago in Bruce Millers. Lovely.

Yeah I'm looking at something like a Brady. Or I might just get a total impulse buy and get the Limited Edition Premier "Spirit of Lily" kit:up: Big Premier fan. Just got a Craviotto snare this week which I have fallen in love with I must say.

Too many comments here consumed with brandings, It doesnt matter who made it, its what sounds right to you. I've played a 200 quid drum kit that sounded better than a 3K kit, the names shall remain hidden. Brandings themselves are worth nothing. Head choice, dampening effects all play the crucial part in the drums overall sound. To me having to put moon gel pads on drums means the drums acoustic sound is crap, or youve gone for the wrong head chioce / tuning. I had the mapex Orion Maple custom which is the nicest sounding kit Ive owned, and the pearl Session Elite the nicest Ive played., not the high end of the market but somewhere above the midrange. At the end of the day, having really expensive great sounding drums doesnt mean you can do them justice.

Too many comments here consumed with brandings, It doesnt matter who made it, its what sounds right to you. I've played a 200 quid drum kit that sounded better than a 3K kit, the names shall remain hidden. Brandings themselves are worth nothing. Head choice, dampening effects all play the crucial part in the drums overall sound. To me having to put moon gel pads on drums means the drums acoustic sound is crap, or youve gone for the wrong head chioce / tuning. I had the mapex Orion Maple custom which is the nicest sounding kit Ive owned, and the pearl Session Elite the nicest Ive played., not the high end of the market but somewhere above the midrange. At the end of the day, having really expensive great sounding drums doesnt mean you can do them justice.

Agree in part. Sure, you dont have to spend the earth on a good set of drums and your comment about heads is bang on. A top notch kit with shit or poorly tuned heads will sound like bollocks whatever it's price tag.

That said, whether someone can do it justice or not has nothing to do with anything. Anyone, at any level of playing, can (and should) buy whatever gear makes them happy. Personally, I like spending my money on top-flight gear and I get loads of enjoyment from playing it. Do I do it justice? Fuck knows. If that makes me a 'brand snob' then guilty as charged.

Not sure I agree 100%. At the end of the day most drum makes make both low and high end gear so I agree if you just buy a Pearl drum kit for the sake of it being a Pearl its not guaranteed to sound good. On the other hand some brands such as "Brady" only make top line stuff and you are almost guaranteed a good sounding kit with badge in those cases. As in if you buy the Rolls Royce of kits, its going to do what it says on the tin and sound good. But even then if you tune a nice kit badly it will sound rubbish!

Go for a Tama. I have had my Tama kit for 26 years and its the dog b............s! I agreed with the other guys with some decent heads a cheap kit will sound great, but it may not look as good or last as long as a semi pro / pro kit.

By the way there is a nice new blue Sonor kit in Captain Toms that I played on a couple of months ago and it sounded great.

Nowadays i just play my yamaha electronic kit due to noise issues :(

But from personal experience my favourite kit i played on was a DDrum Dios kit. Put some Remo Ambassador heads on and tuned it up nice. Sounded great combined with my HHX and K custom cymbals.

I do agree though that it doesn't matter on the price of a kit. I enjoyed playing on my starter kit alot more than my mates Pearl export joey jordison sig kit and the difference in price between the two was astonishing. Best to try out the kit and buy what you think sounds the best no matter the price.

Nowadays i just play my yamaha electronic kit due to noise issues :(

But from personal experience my favourite kit i played on was a DDrum Dios kit. Put some Remo Ambassador heads on and tuned it up nice. Sounded great combined with my HHX and K custom cymbals.

I do agree though that it doesn't matter on the price of a kit. I enjoyed playing on my starter kit alot more than my mates Pearl export joey jordison sig kit and the difference in price between the two was astonishing. Best to try out the kit and buy what you think sounds the best no matter the price.

I must admit DDrum are coming out with some nice stuff these days:up: