aberdeen-music

Football coaching

Guest Gladstone

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 8:59 AM, colb said:

I'd liked to have played/coached American Football, the strategic aspect of it really appeals to me. Most of my favourite sports writing in the past few years has been about Off/Def coordinators... 

It's an awesome sport to coach! I spent this weekend at the British American Football Coaches Association annual convention down in Nottingham and you come back absolutely buzzing with ideas. I presented on the Friday night about building culture in your organisation and was followed by Mike Sherman who coached the Green Bay Packers from '02-'06! Also on the bill were some wicked guys like George Teague who I sat next to at the awards dinner on Saturday night. He won a national championship at Alabama and then played 9 years in the NFL for the Packers, Cowboys and Dolphins. The three QBs he trained against were Aikman, Favre and Marino! He was also the guy who got ejected for taking out TO after he went to celebrate on the star at Texas Stadium, when TO played for the 49ers.

I'm always really keen to learn from other sports tool; how practices are structured, how concepts are taught, etc. I never played any sport outside of school until I played AF and so I have little understanding about how coaches at the grassroots level teach sports like rugby and football. AF has the huge advantage that every play is a stand-alone, uniquely teachable concept and while they sequence and build on top of one another, they've got a clearly defined start and end, where as a move in football/rugby/basketball is a much mrope fluid concept.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I'd considered starting off on my football coaching journey over the past few years and finally signed up to do my first SFA coaching course on Sunday 2 October at Hibs training ground. Will be my first experience of a non-AF coaching course so really looking forward to it. I've been trying to dig into a variety of different coaching resources since I signed up, because its apparent to me that despite having watched the game for my whole life, that viewing has been as a spectator rather than in any sort of technical way and so I don't really have a great grasp of the technical or strategic background of the game! All recommendations of reading/watching material is welcome!

• Upvote 1