aberdeen-music

Football coaching

Guest Gladstone

When I were a lad, I went to a cool training thing in Ellon every week called Coerver Coaching. It had just started up and we were guinea pigs. It had a whole philosophy behind it that it's better for kids to have a ball at their feet at all times rather than doing laps and circuit training all the time. Like even in the warm up we had a ball. The guy that introduced it in Scotland is now a big chief in the SFA as a direct result of how succesfull it was. We didn't have a team, a group of us just turned up every week for training and I can honestly say it was the best footballing experience I've ever had.

Each week we'd learn a new 'skill' that was named after a famous player. The Zico, the Cruyff, the Revelino etc. and you'd be chuffed to bits if you pulled one off in a game. We'd do really intricate tight-spaced pass and move exercises and you were actively encouraged to 'throw in a bit of skill' at all times. We hardly ever practiced set pieces or even shooting, it was all about being comfortable with the ball at your feet. I swear if more kids had done it Scotland would have better players rather than just big loons who get picked up by teams early and dropped when everyone catches up to them (as you've discussed in another thread Gladstone). As a result I was known as the skillful player in our school team. I was really lightweight so wasn't much use but still.

We even got invited to do a demonstration at Ibrox in front of the Rangers team and 200 coaches from around the world. Up untill my first blowjob, that was the greatest thing that ever happened to me.

It was all sponsored by Adidas so it was free and we got to try the new predators before they were out in the shops.

Anyway, here's a link to what it's like now: Coerver Coaching - Home

No, earlier in school i had grown quicker than everyone, then everyone caught up and over took.

Now i'm spot on average and there are a load of stupidly tall guys going around at football so i'm quite short again.

by the way, how did you escape the stick that Ryan, Nev and Jan get? Your easily shorter than any of them.

I don't know who Ryan is by the way but i'm a fair bit taller than Nev. Jan I guess is maybe an inch or two smaller than me but then he is quite a skinny guy so that may add to it.

I'm just missing part of my thigh bones that's all :D

back to topic. Teach them not to screw each others girlfriends and touch underagers and I'm sure the basics will come naturally afterwards.

I have four SFA 'Coach Education' books here, given to me by my brother;

Coaching Young Footballers - An aid to working with 5-11 year olds

Early Touches - Skill development, fun and activity for 5-11 year olds

Coaching Youth Footballers - An aid to working with youth players aged 12-18 years

Development Activities - Skill activities and practice routines for 12-18 year olds

You can certainly borrow them if you think they'd be of any help?

Guest Gladstone
I have four SFA 'Coach Education' books here, given to me by my brother;

Coaching Young Footballers - An aid to working with 5-11 year olds

Early Touches - Skill development, fun and activity for 5-11 year olds

Coaching Youth Footballers - An aid to working with youth players aged 12-18 years

Development Activities - Skill activities and practice routines for 12-18 year olds

You can certainly borrow them if you think they'd be of any help?

Adam, that would be really good actually. Cheers.

And cheers to everyone else for their hints and tips.

Still haven't 100% decided if I'm going to take the role or not. Still mulling it over.

Guest idol_wild
Probably easier if I post them to you? They're not huge or anything.

PM me your address and I'll sort it out!

Better hope Bigsby doesn't have some SFA Coach Education books to give away.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gladstone

So...

I'm the new New Deer Primary School football team coach, starting probably in October once my disclosure form etc comes through.

Just bumping this thread up - any other suggestions/advice more than welcome.

Cheers :up:

• 5 weeks later...
Guest idol_wild
I think we've spoken about this before. In 12 years of coaching throughout my childhood I learned the following invaluable lessons which is all you need to know about the art of football:

Lesson 1: GET GOALSIDE!

Lesson 2: GET IT UP THE FUCKING PARK!

Lesson 3: DINNA FANNY ABOUT THERE!

Lesson 4: PLAY THE WHISTLE!

Lesson 5: YOU'LL ONLY GET HURT IF YOU DON'T GO IN HARD!

Lesson 6: FUCKSAKEREF!

Lesson 7: SUMDEE GET THEIR FIT ON THE BA!

I hate that term. It very much seems to be a North East sort of thing, as I never hear anyone else utter it.

I know what it means, but why can't we just say: WHEN YOU GET THE BALL, SLOW THE TEMPO DOWN AND PICK OUT A PASS.

"Put your foot on the ball". What? Like Kanchelskis against Ayr in the Scottish Cup? That made me literally want to inflict substantial physical pain on Kanchelskis.

Don't put your foot on the ball, kids. Just control it and pass it. Then move into a position to potentially receive the ball again.

Lesson 8: GET IT TO FEEET

One of my early football viewing experiences was a York City game at Bootham Crescent, when they were still in the league, and someone stood directly in front of us spent about 60 of the 90 minutes shouting that every time York aimlessly lumped the ball forward. I don't remember the score or anything else that actually happened in the match, only the coaching from the stands.

• 5 years later...

Decent. I've been coaching for about five years now and as much as I love the technical aspects of American Football, it's all the non-technical stuff that really interests me. Building culture, designing practices and approaches, developing leadership, all that kind of stuff. If anyone comes across any good coaching resources, I'd love to see them,

On 5/23/2016 at 9:20 AM, Spoonie said:

Decent. I've been coaching for about five years now and as much as I love the technical aspects of American Football, it's all the non-technical stuff that really interests me. Building culture, designing practices and approaches, developing leadership, all that kind of stuff. If anyone comes across any good coaching resources, I'd love to see them,

I'd liked to have played/coached American Football, the strategic aspect of it really appeals to me. Most of my favourite sports writing in the past few years has been about Off/Def coordinators... 

• Upvote 1