aberdeen-music

Football coaching

Guest Gladstone

Guest Gladstone

Anyone on here do any footy coaching?

I'm probably going to be taking charge of New Deer Primary School's football coaching this year.

If anyone on here has done any coaching, I wouldn't mind some pointers or to fire you some questions etc.

Also - any good football drills / training / pointers etc - this thread is the place to post them!

Cheers :up:

I think we've spoken about this before. In 12 years of coaching throughout my childhood I learned the following invaluable lessons which is all you need to know about the art of football:

Lesson 1: GET GOALSIDE!

Lesson 2: GET IT UP THE FUCKING PARK!

Lesson 3: DINNA FANNY ABOUT THERE!

Lesson 4: PLAY THE WHISTLE!

Lesson 5: YOU'LL ONLY GET HURT IF YOU DON'T GO IN HARD!

Lesson 6: FUCKSAKEREF!

I've done coaching and managed teams.

My advice - don't do it unless you have then patience of a saint and elephant hide for skin.

It was bad enough coaching adults - kids can be a nightmare, worse if the parents are involved.

It's rewarding when the players respond and you can see the fruits of your labour on a Saturday.

Otherwise, it can be an exercise in futility and frustration.

Good luck with it though!

Guest Gladstone
I think we've spoken about this before. In 12 years of coaching throughout my childhood I learned the following invaluable lessons which is all you need to know about the art of football:

Lesson 1: GET GOALSIDE!

Lesson 2: GET IT UP THE FUCKING PARK!

Lesson 3: DINNA FANNY ABOUT THERE!

Lesson 4: PLAY THE WHISTLE!

Lesson 5: YOU'LL ONLY GET HURT IF YOU DON'T GO IN HARD!

Lesson 6: FUCKSAKEREF!

You'll only get hurt if you don't go in hard - that's a classic. I fucking lived by that motto for all my years playing football, and I can assure you it's bollocks. If I'd learned to pull out of tackles that I had absolutely no right to win sometimes, I wouldn't have got injured as many times as I did. Going in as hard as I could was almost always the cause of my own injuries.

Saying that though a crunching 50-50 where you come out with the ball feels affa good. Remember Paul "where the fuck's my fringe" Ince once saying "tackling's better than sex"? It's not true, but it does feel pretty good.

Teach them what 'Man On' means. Shaun Wright Phillips is pushing 30 and he hasn't got a clue, as a result of poor coaching. I think for him, it has gotten to the stage of being too polite to ask what it means since its been so long, like when someone gets your name wrong and you don't correct them, you''re destined for a long period of being called the wrong name and you'd look fucking stupid if you asked them to correct it now.

So yeah, Man On.

My favourite drill as a kid was the Ajax Roll. Get them into pairs, player 1 stands with his feet apart, and player 2 taps the ball through his legs, and runs round behind player 1, and stands in the same position, and player 1 turns round and taps it through his legs. It works best if they do it across the sideline of the football pitch, so they don't swerve off all over the place. Or set 2 cones a certain distance apart, and do the roll from one cone to the end. I don't know what it's mean to work on, but it looks smart if they're not shit at it.

You'll only get hurt if you don't go in hard - that's a classic. I fucking lived by that motto for all my years playing football, and I can assure you it's bollocks. If I'd learned to pull out of tackles that I had absolutely no right to win sometimes, I wouldn't have got injured as many times as I did. Going in as hard as I could was almost always the cause of my own injuries.

Saying that though a crunching 50-50 where you come out with the ball feels affa good. Remember Paul "where the fuck's my fringe" Ince once saying "tackling's better than sex"? It's not true, but it does feel pretty good.

Oh, and any injury can be made wet and then simply "run off".

Head knocks, leg breaks, migraines, food poisoning...

Guest Gladstone
Oh, and any injury can be made wet and then simply "run off".

Head knocks, leg breaks, migraines, food poisoning...

I ALWAYS try to run off an injury.

I tore a ligament in my ankle 3 months ago. Didn't stop me playing on for 25 minutes and finishing the game. It did stop me playing football for about 10 weeks afterwards though.

I've done some of the SFA coaching courses and they are quite worthwhile and interesting to do, plus you get to meet Simmie. At the age you will be coaching kids at the courses will give you a good idea about how to organise training practices that will suit their development. Be it with organised training sessions or warmups before a game they should be getting as many touches on a ball as possible to develop their close control and first touch.

And remember the first lesson any young player should learn, if there is a jinky cunt on the opposite side then give him a dull one to see if he hides the rest of the game.

Guest idol_wild

I wouldn't bother doing too much intricate football work with them at that age - I'd work on drills that encourage teamwork and intigration, and less ball hogging. There are so many ball hoggers and lazy kids.

Guest Gladstone

It's 6 a side football. I've just decided that I'm going to work on nothing but tackling and shooting. So, we get the ball back and shoot, from anywhere on the pitch. If we work enough on shooting, they'll just score everytime they get the ball, right?

Magic. New Deer - 75, whoever they're playing - nil.

Guest Gladstone
And don't teach them positions, teach them to play football - if you're more concerned with their development rather than winning, then rotate them so that each player gets a chance to play in each position over the course of the season (with the exception of 'keepers, I guess).

Bollocks.

Fat kid in goals.

Tall kid in defence.

Small, fast kid up front.

Anyone who's "medium" in the midfield.

Girls - netball.

• Upvote 1

ive done bits of coaching over the last 3 years or so, considering doing the badges at some point but I don't know if I could be arsed managing a pub league team, which is generally where most with no footballing pedigree or affiliations to the youth sides start off....

you always have 3 or 4 committed guys who will run through walls for you but the rest (generally the better players) lack any kind of discipline, respect and intelligence on a football field. You find yourself struggling to field teams in winter and half of them are hungover as sin and couldn't tackle a fish supper. As for tactics, ha ha ha ha.....

When it works and you see guys learning lessons, adopting new attitude and improving on and off the ball; it's a good feeling.

Boo! I was always a full back at school...

But then I was/am pretty shit at football.

ha, i was gonna say that too! right back everytime, slow as fuck, couldn't slide tackle, skinned by everyone. :(

i always felt i would be better in midfield, do the simple things, cover every inch of the park and shoot on sight.

I was in defence in school, but i stopped playing midway through academy and haven't done anything since until we started our regular games, so obviously lost the touch. Mind you i was taller than everyone in school and now every ones taller than me, so i'm quite scared at our regular games.

So that makes everyone atleast 6ft5" then?:popcorn:

Check out the Coerver drills, some are quite advanced but not all.

Plenty small sided games inc two touch, and using their weak foot only.

Not too much stuff that involves queuing (shooting), especially in bad weather.

Keep the kids busy at all times.

Learn them that when you speak, they listen.

When kids get stray footballs tell them never to pick them up when retrieving them, always use their feet. Even if the balls are stuck up a tree.

Encourage, err, encouragement. As opposed to moaning at each other when they let a goal in.

Have a meeting with the parents, tell them to encourage and support the kids. (not telling them to `go up` or whatever).

Do not get distracted by MILFs.