aberdeen-music

Isn't this nice?

Oedo 808

• 2 weeks later...

Things I'm not joining in with: Fake nostalgia for the unremembered 80s

Why? Because I remember them. They were shit.*

I knew the world had gone wrong when everyone started loving that fuckin Journey song, THE single almost worst band ever..'ooh its so earnestly kitsch' fuck off and die now already.

And T'Pau are even worse, Carole Decker? get a grip.

*unless ye were metal, then they were really funny and entertaining shit.

• Upvote 1

Why? Because I remember them. They were shit.*

I knew the world had gone wrong when everyone started loving that fuckin Journey song, THE single almost worst band ever..'ooh its so earnestly kitsch' fuck off and die now already.

And T'Pau are even worse, Carole Decker? get a grip.

*unless ye were metal, then they were really funny and entertaining shit.

Yes. Perfect points. See also the theme to 'The Littlest Hobo' which was a bizarre closing Amadeus song for a while.

The 80s were horrible music wise. The alternative stuff is the only thing worth treasuring but in those days I was too young to buy much and there was no downloading going on so well worn copies of Jesus and Mary Chain, The Cult and Spear of Destiny albums and singles were the order of the day. Sitting enduring the local Stonehaven nightclub music was the stuff of nightmares and I was a bit too young and lacking in cash to get into Aberdeen to the mythical Ritzys/Venue. I once got Prime Mover by Zodiac Mindwarp played in the Commodore Hotel. Yas min. was never to be repeated though. Same with Some Candy Talking.

In my rage I forgot to posit an alternative 80s where movie themes were ace; Exhibit 1

or, in context (and ace instrumental version)

I thought da hobo was some 70s biznizz, inna Childrens Film Foundation stylee (thats a treasure trove right there, the CFF, sealed to the world though).

Aberdeen Venue= best place the city ever had. Ever read Bad Wisdom? Ace.

There are very many amazing orchestral scores from the 80s.

ET:

Indian Jones:

Star Trek:

Star Wars (forest battle):

Loads more great orchestral anthems from the 80s. I guess it was prolific era for John Williams! This might be my musical quest for the day, orchestral movie music from the 80s.

The 80s are far enough away to be liked in an ironic and kitsch fashion by people who weren't even born in the decade.

In a couple more years, it'll be the 90s that ends up getting rehashed.

This is it. At least 70's revisionism is largely about Abba. I don't have any of their CD's myself but at least they had some undeniably catchy pop songs.

90's revisionism will mean Aqua or some shit.

Of course it will. Retro styling and decade nostalgia is all about appealing to former children of that generation who now have a greater disposable income.

Me neither. These are some good tunes though!

The 80s are far enough away to be liked in an ironic and kitsch fashion by people who weren't even born in the decade.

Having thought about this more than I really should, I only partly agree. People obviously get nostalgic about music from all kinds of times (even if they don't remember it) but I don't think anywhere near as many people will say they're fans of '90s pop' as say they are fans of '80s pop' (or 70s pop or 60s for that matter). 80s pop is much more clearly defined as a kind of style than 90s pop because pop music became much more fragmented and, in some ways, less significant in the 90s because of the decline of the importance of the top 40 singles charts and Top of the Pops and the breakdown of the boundaries between pop and other, more 'alternative' kinds of music. 80s pop has more clearly defined characteristics and so I think people latch onto it as a sort of 'genre' to an extent that they never will with 90s pop, whatever that is. Any 'rehash' of 90s music is always likely to be a lot more fragmented because that reflects how mainstream music went in the 90s. Lots of people will be nostalgic for 90s music of all kinds but not that many for 90s pop.

None of this stops most 80s pop being cobblers of course.

• Upvote 1