aberdeen-music

Fender hot rod amplifiers

Localboylost

as stock i didnt like it the volume is all to fuck on and i couldnt get a sound i liked, it felt pretty lifeless but there's alot that can be changed on them i took mine to dennis marshall to be modded and now its a beast....... but i think jerry jablonski was using one not so long ago and his sounded ace but then again so is his playing.. personally id hold out for one of the blackstar ht series amps!

Seen a couple of fender hot rod deluxes on here for sale lately, anybody know if they're good? saving for a new amp and considering trying one out :rockon:

Depends on what you're going to be playing really, kinda subjective really! They're definitely 'good' amps, I have a Hot Rod deluxe and play in a band with someone who uses a Hot Rod Deville, and they both sound great to me.

as stock i didnt like it the volume is all to fuck on and i couldnt get a sound i liked, it felt pretty lifeless but there's alot that can be changed on them i took mine to dennis marshall to be modded and now its a beast....... but i think jerry jablonski was using one not so long ago and his sounded ace but then again so is his playing.. personally id hold out for one of the blackstar ht series amps!

Or, a "Fuchs",? Ha Ha

The Clean channel is excellent, but the Overdrive/Dirty is pretty gash.

The HRD also benefits from the replacement of the stock speaker to a Vintage 30.

Mine was a US model ('96, I think) and had a V30 and some of the capacitors upgraded. The Clean channel was loud and as good as any I've heard. The Overdrive was passable, no more than that.

They are a good buy for the money.

We have a couple at work. They must be hard as nails because they are still going after nearly 8 years of abuse in a AC room where sometimes the AC is off, or too cold. Same valves from new. They are getting a bit noisy now (humming etc), but not cutting out or anything. As for sound...the clean channel is very good. It gets loud very quick (2-3) but sounds nice around 5-7, and would not be too loud for gigging with. The OD channel is best described as "different". I always think a Fender sounds like a clean amp doing dirty if you know what I mean.

So where does that leave us?

1. Quite reliable.

2. Probably too loud for the house

3. Good clean channel.

4. Leave it on the clean channel and use a pedal or two.

5. Triggs has the best Fender hot rod I've ever heard period.