aberdeen-music

Does it matter where a venue is?

ido

Was having a chat with some people at work and they wanted to go see a band but were put off because the venue was about 10/15 minutes from the main bus station. (about a mile or so!)

Just wondering if that puts other folk off etc?

For me if i want to see the band, i'll go to the gig no matter where it is in the city. Some of the best venues i've been too are technically "out of town" and i can never work out what a central venue would be.

In Glasgow Captains Rest is West End and Barfly/Cathouse on the River which are totally different ends.

But in Edinburgh everythings around the train station area but he wouldn't consider going to Leith for a gig which is not even that far.

I've never been put off by the location of a gig within the ciy limits. AECC is pretty easily accessible. Mind you I have a car so it's not that big a deal for me.

As for further afield, I will only go as far as Edinburgh / Glasgow to see a band if it's someone I really really like. It's a pain in the hoop going down south for gigs if you don't have somewhere to crash, because you don't get out in time for the last train home.

There is no excuse for not going to anywhere in Aberdeen, because the city is tiny.

In Glasgow Captains Rest is West End and Barfly/Cathouse on the River which are totally different ends.

But in Edinburgh everythings around the train station area but he wouldn't consider going to Leith for a gig which is not even that far.

Just for reference, the Captains Rest has a tube stop virtually outside it, Barfly has been shut for a long time and Cathouse is attached to central train station, so it does make travel issues a little simpler.

AECC is pretty easily accessible. Mind you I have a car so it's not that big a deal for me.

Funny, driving and parking are about the worst thing about gigs at the AECC. There's gigs coming up there that I'm deliberately avoiding because there's only so many times in a month that I can stand that car park.

But in general I agree, it doesn't really matter where the venue is. But then most of the users on this site will probably be on the more enthusiastic side of the music fan spectrum. Venues need to attract the casual fans as well to survive and in that respect having it close to train stations etc. can only be a good thing.

Having said that the original poster's friends are still lazy cunts for not being willing to walk to Leith from Waverley.

Funny, driving and parking are about the worst thing about gigs at the AECC. There's gigs coming up there that I'm deliberately avoiding because there's only so many times in a month that I can stand that car park.

But in general I agree, it doesn't really matter where the venue is. But then most of the users on this site will probably be on the more enthusiastic side of the music fan spectrum. Venues need to attract the casual fans as well to survive and in that respect having it close to train stations etc. can only be a good thing.

Having said that the original poster's friends are still lazy cunts for not being willing to walk to Leith from Waverley.

I park in the BOD Industrial Estate, or in one of the streets beside the Royal Bank Of Scotland and walk down from there. It's only 10 minutes. I agree that car park is a fucking disaster. I sat in it for about 45 minutes once watching four lanes of traffic trying to squeeze out of a gate wide enough for one car. While people behind me were leaning out their windows and yelling at me because I wasn't being agressive enough and pushing my way out. Never again!

I park in the BOD Industrial Estate, or in one of the streets beside the Royal Bank Of Scotland and walk down from there. It's only 10 minutes. I agree that car park is a fucking disaster. I sat in it for about 45 minutes once watching four lanes of traffic trying to squeeze out of a gate wide enough for one car. While people behind me were leaning out their windows and yelling at me because I wasn't being agressive enough and pushing my way out. Never again!

I heard that during a pretty recent gig many parking tickets were issued in these kind of areas...co-incidentally, the parking charge had just been introduced in the AECC car park....

It matters when it's a night that you weren't particularly planning on going to a gig. That's why Drummonds gets more people walking in than Tunnels - because Tunnels is more out of the way. Same deal at The Moorings: people don't go down that way unless they're intending on going there (for the most part) so will get less random foot fall.

If it's for a bigger band, then people - in Aberdeen certainly - shouldn't mind too much as the places are in such a small proximity.

For me personally, around Glasgow is the limit for how far I'd travel for a gig (as mentioned before, ease of staying there/returning for the next morning). Unless it was a really good lineup that I wanted to see at a festival or something.

I heard that during a pretty recent gig many parking tickets were issued in these kind of areas...co-incidentally, the parking charge had just been introduced in the AECC car park....

Parking in one of the streets off North Donside Road is perfectly legal, and still only a ten minute walk. So they can poke their parking charges up their arse.

Yellow lines introduced, residents only parking schemes, etc. Not difficult at all. People will only go so far to park and walk.

I agree that folk will only walk so far but if we take Lucky's suggestion of North Donside Road as the farthest that anyone would walk (I personally walked a lot farther to the Blink gig) then you would need to implement this parking scheme from all the roads leading off from King Robert's Way (which would be a good idea for those residents), and also many of the roads between North Donside Road and Lochside.

That is a huge area AND there are many business car parks with no restrictions or gates. None of the businesses on Claymore Drive have any parking restrictions or gates either and they're closer than North Donside Road. Other businesses (which operate at night) don't have their own car parks and they rely on people parking on the road.

I'm not saying it's impossible but I think out with the King Robert's Way area you couldn't do it effectively without causing major problems.