aberdeen-music

The Fly, Aberdeen

waltz

Well on a more positive front, its always good to see The Fly when Euan does have the regional section in. Regardless of the national readership figures, any sort of exposure should be gratefully accepted I would have thought.

Just from working in Drummonds and Tunnels where the magazine is available, its amazing how many people will sit and read the whole thing over a pint or two. Can't see the harm in a band getting in touch with him. Even if it gets ten people reading about you, surely its worth it!

We should probably just be grateful he is doing it at all as without that (and having met some of the editorial team of The Fly) there would probably be no mention of Aberdeen at all in there! Its not just about people reading about Aberdeen bands, but just people elsewhere seeing that we actually do have decent venues and people who want to see gigs up here!

Guest idol_wild
I have no interest in making this website out to be anything it is or isn't. It generally has gig listings and a bit of information about most, maybe not all, of the local bands kicking around and usually a bit of feedback on said bands, not always the most productive but sometimes there is content worth noting. I'm not sure where this 'bigger' pocket of the local scene advertises itself to make people aware of its existence, perhaps you can elighten me (and others who may be interested)? I think the trouble here is that the local music scene does not have enough in the way of bands who appeal to your particular taste and so there is not a 'big' enough group of people to support your endeavours - hence your move to Edinburgh? This in turn will be the case for Euan I suspect. My tastes aren't really catered for hugely either really but then my situation completely differs from yours. In order to have some sort of regular regional content surely you either have to expand the limitations beyond the typical Fly demographic or else it will be mentions for the same bands on a rotating basis. Or else just opt out of the regional contribution. The local 'scene' as a collective musical thing seems pretty healthy in terms of mutual support etc but sadly for fans of 'indie' (used as a broad term) music this scene revolves around the 'grindcore' type DIY thing.

Christ almighty, my own personal music taste has nothing to do with my move to Edinburgh at all - nor does the state of the Aberdeen scene. I'm not quite sure why you're trying to relate this to my own personal situation; I'm just trying to encourage people to utilise the free national coverage that is being offered, and perhaps not try to spit in it's face when it is being offered.

But there are a lot of other gig-goers and musicians in Aberdeen than those who frequent these forums. If there wasn't, then every gig in Aberdeen would be dead.

Christ almighty, my own personal music taste has nothing to do with my move to Edinburgh at all - nor does the state of the Aberdeen scene. I'm not quite sure why you're trying to relate this to my own personal situation; I'm just trying to encourage people to utilise the free national coverage that is being offered, and perhaps not try to spit in it's face when it is being offered.

But there are a lot of other gig-goers and musicians in Aberdeen than those who frequent these forums. If there wasn't, then every gig in Aberdeen would be dead.

Wow. 2 week old post response...calm down dude, wrong side of bed? I wasn't bringing your personal life into anything, I was under the impression that Meursault and a better support network for Debutant was part of the reason to move to Edinburgh, if I was mistaken then many apologies.

Anyway, I picked up the new copy of The Fly last week and there was no Aberdeen section so I guess there was nothing worthwhile to write about.

Guest idol_wild
Wow. 2 week old post response...calm down dude, wrong side of bed?

Nope. I only just read your post.

I wasn't bringing your personal life into anything, I was under the impression that Meursault and a better support network for Debutant was part of the reason to move to Edinburgh, if I was mistaken then many apologies.

Meursault was a small factor in my move. But nothing relating to Debutant, really. To suggest that I moved from Aberdeen because, essentially, there isn't enough people to "support my endeavours" is actually pretty wide of the mark. But anyway - apology accepted.

Anyway, I picked up the new copy of The Fly last week and there was no Aberdeen section so I guess there was nothing worthwhile to write about.

Sometimes the editor likes to focus on some of the other regions and rotate the regions receiving coverage each issue, as the publication doesn't have the capacity to feature every region in each issue.

booooooo hisssssssss

*throws rotten vegatables in direction of thread-maker.

etc...

Good on you Euan for highlighting that in actual fact unless you make yourself worthy to be written about (i.e joe blogs (representing a portion of the readership outside of spoken about region) picks up the fly and thinks "ahh *insert band name* are good I wonder what they've been up to...reads on)...then unless you "put the effort in" and contact journalists/promoters/anyone you think might care...then you ain't getting no-where mate.

Playing Tunnels to 20 people every 2nd friday is not going to get you noticed, no matter how good your mum/girlfriend says you are. So yeah instead of being "Mr I win on the internet...rofl" just suibmit demo's/invite to gigs etc or otherwise NO EXPOSURE FOR YOU. It really is that simple.

I think what euan is proposing is s good thing. If I wasn't so cynical about the future of the written press I would be doing the same thing.

Oh and see you in september Euan.

• Upvote 1

booooooo hisssssssss

*throws rotten vegatables in direction of thread-maker.

etc...

Good on you Euan for highlighting that in actual fact unless you make yourself worthy to be written about (i.e joe blogs (representing a portion of the readership outside of spoken about region) picks up the fly and thinks "ahh *insert band name* are good I wonder what they've been up to...reads on)...then unless you "put the effort in" and contact journalists/promoters/anyone you think might care...then you ain't getting no-where mate.

Playing Tunnels to 20 people every 2nd friday is not going to get you noticed, no matter how good your mum/girlfriend says you are. So yeah instead of being "Mr I win on the internet...rofl" just suibmit demo's/invite to gigs etc or otherwise NO EXPOSURE FOR YOU. It really is that simple.

I think what euan is proposing is s good thing. If I wasn't so cynical about the future of the written press I would be doing the same thing.

Oh and see you in september Euan.

Sup, Jamie. Thank you.

Guest Gladstone

Personally, I think this is complete bullshit.

How dare you expect us bands to get our fingers out of our arses and contact you. Fuck you, man. Fuck you. You volunteered yourself as the Fly Aberdeen correspondent, and it is therefore your job and only your job to know everything about every band ever to hail from our city. I don't give a fuck if you're doing it out of the goodness of your heart because you care about the scene, and that you get paid no money.

If I'm in a band, I expect the whole fucking world to do everything for me. If I can string 4 chords together, and play a couple of gigs a year, I should automatically be given all the exposure required without anymore effort on my part.

I demand that every music publication features my band EVERY ISSUE, which will then lead to us conquering the world.

Bunch of lazy journalist bastards.