aberdeen-music

The Fly, Aberdeen

waltz

Apparently people don't want exposure to 108,000 readers every month, so I'll ask again, if people reckon they should be in The Fly magazine's Aberdeen section, give me a PM. Remember The Fly's audience when you're doing it, if you're a metal band you're probably not getting written about.

Shows, clubnights, bands, GO. You can either post them here or send me a message. Why doesn't the calendar update events any more?

Apparently people don't want exposure to 108,000 readers every month, so I'll ask again, if people reckon they should be in The Fly magazine's Aberdeen section, give me a PM. Remember The Fly's audience when you're doing it, if you're a metal band you're probably not getting written about.

Shows, clubnights, bands, GO. You can either post them here or send me a message. Why doesn't the calendar update events any more?

Ive got a copy of The Fly on my desk, the one with The Drums on it. Theres a full page ad at the back for Sonisphere, which if Im not mistaken is a metal orientated festival. I do hope the cost of placing the ad is refunded since this is not the magazines intended audience (I guess it is paid for? I assume so as the magazine is free so presumably this is how it funds itself?)

statue were reviewed in the fly a few years ago. no more metal bands then?

you could gies a wee review on this?:

YouTube - handspeedsteve's Channel

preferably chemical stench or stand alone.

thanks

:up:

Euan, is it just listings or is there scope for articles/features on bands/labels/nights?

Ive got a copy of The Fly on my desk, the one with The Drums on it. Theres a full page ad at the back for Sonisphere, which if Im not mistaken is a metal orientated festival. I do hope the cost of placing the ad is refunded since this is not the magazines intended audience (I guess it is paid for? I assume so as the magazine is free so presumably this is how it funds itself?)

why?, if its the case that The Fly isnt mosher friendly (slightly agree) is it not more the case that the festival organisers should use the the advertising budget slightly better?

Oh come on. You know exactly what I mean. How many metal reviews do you see in the copy you have? It's pretty obvious to know what kind of thing would be suitable for the regionals given the content of the rest of the magazine. Well done on picking one thing out to be a smart-arse though. What a contribution! Go you. :)

Oh come on. You know exactly what I mean. How many metal reviews do you see in the copy you have? It's pretty obvious to know what kind of thing would be suitable for the regionals given the content of the rest of the magazine. Well done on picking one thing out to be a smart-arse though. What a contribution! Go you. :)

Irony for the win.

Personally I think 'The Fly' would be massively improved by a wider mixture of coverage and styles but then I'm not your key demographic really.

Irony for the win.

Personally I think 'The Fly' would be massively improved by a wider mixture of coverage and styles but then I'm not your key demographic really.

I know, and I've stressed this before, as I've put things like Rusko and dubstep/dnb club nights in before, but I enjoy writing for them so I'm just trying to create a better link between Aberdeen's musicians and free press. To that end I'm just saying that it's unlikely that many readers of The Fly are going to be reading the magazine to hear about metal shows. It's just demographics, really.

I know, and I've stressed this before, as I've put things like Rusko and dubstep/dnb club nights in before, but I enjoy writing for them so I'm just trying to create a better link between Aberdeen's musicians and free press. To that end I'm just saying that it's unlikely that many readers of The Fly are going to be reading the magazine to hear about metal shows. It's just demographics, really.

Out of interest, how does The Fly measure its distribution when its given away free? Im assuming sales figures are the usual mechanism for this with other magazines so how is this 108K figure calculated?

Personally I find this method you have chosen of offering bands the chance of coverage almost a bit X Factor where you are the judge of what is worthy of coverage, this website alone makes it possible to see how the tide is turning in terms of interest in particular bands so surely you could use your own instinct to determine things to write about? Surely if you are going to be seen as the regional correspondent for the NE of Scotland then you would have more credibility in the area if you found a way to write about all the genres that make up the local scene?

Please note that I am not trying to be a 'smart arse' I am genuinely interested....

I've always looked for stuff myself, but I can't possibly know what every band is doing, so it's always pretty helpful to hear from people who've got something worth writing about. It's that simple. I genuinely can't see why anyone would have a problem with that. I'm not getting paid to do it, I do it because I care about our 'scene' enough to want to give things national coverage.

I'm sure you could easily fill a small section every month by actively looking for things rather than waiting for people to come to you.

And I have done regularly. It's just helpful to hear from people, also.

EDIT: This thread was meant to be more of a notice for people, rather than a discussion. So if it could be moved that'd be a good idea.

Guest idol_wild

Jesus folks. Euan is doing this for free - that is without payment - and he's advertising for people to get in touch about perhaps giving them some national coverage. With no strings attached.

Given that there's pretty much nobody else in Aberdeen willing/capable of being the Aberdeen correspondent, and if Euan didn't accept the role then there would likely be no Aberdeen correspondent, I think people should just either:

a) Ignore the thread.

or

b) Get in touch with him about something to perhaps write about.

Good grief - no fucking wonder the Aberdeen music scene gets so little national attention - it's as if it isn't fucking wanted.

Guest idol_wild

You should send a letter to the editorial team and inform them of that.

Guest idol_wild
Out of interest, how does The Fly measure its distribution when its given away free? Im assuming sales figures are the usual mechanism for this with other magazines so how is this 108K figure calculated?

Firstly, how the hell is Euan going to know the intimate intricacies with regards to the distribution levels? He's a voluntary regional correspondent - not part of the analysis/editorial/higher level team. Sure, he quoted and referenced the 108k figure in the first place - but I'm sure that was just for effect and perhaps to heighten the appeal to musicians/promoters/club nights, who may consider contacting him about being featured.

Personally I find this method you have chosen of offering bands the chance of coverage almost a bit X Factor where you are the judge of what is worthy of coverage, this website alone makes it possible to see how the tide is turning in terms of interest in particular bands so surely you could use your own instinct to determine things to write about?

This website is not a reliable indication of what is going on musically in this city. It just really thinks it is. It contains a very small pocket of the Aberdeen scene, and that pocket is not exactly saturated with enough quality to write about on a monthly basis without repetition.

Surely if you are going to be seen as the regional correspondent for the NE of Scotland then you would have more credibility in the area if you found a way to write about all the genres that make up the local scene?

He has been trying to do that. For well over a year. And now he's trying to find out some more. By asking people and inviting them to educate him about what's going on.

And I have done regularly. It's just helpful to hear from people, also.

EDIT: This thread was meant to be more of a notice for people, rather than a discussion. So if it could be moved that'd be a good idea.

Totally, like Phil says, this website only represents a small amount of people who make music in Aberdeen and the outlying areas - have you tried putting up posters in One Up, targeted Facebook pages for venues, etc? I realise it'd obviously be more work (at least initially) involved, but I reckon you'd have a better chance of reaching out to people. Another good bet would be to see if you can put in a few words in the various Freshers leaflets that'll be getting turned out by the Tunnels, etc. The university is an interesting one, as you've got potentially hundreds of people making music but unaware of this website/local 'scene' stuff, etc.

re: people not getting in touch on here - I'm sure some of it is down to people just missing the threads asking for info. This one, for example, is called 'The Fly, Aberdeen' - if you weren't aware of the magazine, you might just skip reading it, being unaware of the subject matter.

Firstly, how the hell is Euan going to know the intimate intricacies with regards to the distribution levels? He's a voluntary regional correspondent - not part of the analysis/editorial/higher level team. Sure, he quoted and referenced the 108k figure in the first place - but I'm sure that was just for effect and perhaps to heighten the appeal to musicians/promoters/club nights, who may consider contacting him about being featured.

This website is not a reliable indication of what is going on musically in this city. It just really thinks it is. It contains a very small pocket of the Aberdeen scene, and that pocket is not exactly saturated with enough quality to write about on a monthly basis without repetition.

He has been trying to do that. For well over a year. And now he's trying to find out some more. By asking people and inviting them to educate him about what's going on.

Phillip, as an aside, I thought I saw your name in the contributors list of the last issue of The Fly I picked up, but couldn't see find it. What is it you do, out of interest? (I notice reading that, it seems like I'm being rude and accusing you of not actually contributing anything or something like that, but I can't word it anyway that doesn't sound sort of rude, for some reason...possibly because I'm drunk)

Guest idol_wild
Phillip, as an aside, I thought I saw your name in the contributors list of the last issue of The Fly I picked up, but couldn't see find it. What is it you do, out of interest? (I notice reading that, it seems like I'm being rude and accusing you of not actually contributing anything or something like that, but I can't word it anyway that doesn't sound sort of rude, for some reason...possibly because I'm drunk)

I don't actually do anything for them anymore at all - for some reason they've merely failed to swipe my name off the contributors list. Oversight.

I am Euan's predecessor. I did it for about a year and I know how difficult it is to spread what's going on thinly enough to make for an informative and interesting monthly regional round up, whilst still being a good read, and avoiding too many reappeances of bands, promoters and labels, and such like.

I have no idea how to multi-quote so bold text will be utilised. ?(

I'm not sure why you are on your high horse but the initial post indicated distribution figures. Being that he writes for the magazine I assumed he may have access to people who provide this sort of information, obviously I am mistaken

I have no interest in making this website out to be anything it is or isn't. It generally has gig listings and a bit of information about most, maybe not all, of the local bands kicking around and usually a bit of feedback on said bands, not always the most productive but sometimes there is content worth noting. I'm not sure where this 'bigger' pocket of the local scene advertises itself to make people aware of its existence, perhaps you can elighten me (and others who may be interested)? I think the trouble here is that the local music scene does not have enough in the way of bands who appeal to your particular taste and so there is not a 'big' enough group of people to support your endeavours - hence your move to Edinburgh? This in turn will be the case for Euan I suspect. My tastes aren't really catered for hugely either really but then my situation completely differs from yours. In order to have some sort of regular regional content surely you either have to expand the limitations beyond the typical Fly demographic or else it will be mentions for the same bands on a rotating basis. Or else just opt out of the regional contribution. The local 'scene' as a collective musical thing seems pretty healthy in terms of mutual support etc but sadly for fans of 'indie' (used as a broad term) music this scene revolves around the 'grindcore' type DIY thing.

That's fine. It's the wording that he used in the initial post that I found a bit off. For the record I do actually support what he is doing, I just think he could learn to be a little less arch in his manner. Despite what he may think I do actually read his website regularly and like a lot of it but also find some of it infuriating :laughing: