aberdeen-music

Bass Recomendations?

Guest Salty

My first bass was a Yamaha BB300 or something which was neck heavy, unwieldy and sounded fucking ace. I then got a shitty De Ville jazz copy which was crap. I recently got hold of a Cort Musicman-ish bass which plays brilliantly and actually sounds really nice - you can probably get one for under 200, and I'd say it's definitely worth having a look at.

Even though the Thunderbird is a bit of a beast to handle, it does look cool as fuck, and you can play it safe in the knowledge that you're saving it from funk (apparently they were intended for slapping and popping - *shudder*). Unless you play in a funk band of course, in which case you will be making god awful noises and chaffing your chin with the strap peg.

And about switiching from guitar to bass - I went from bass to guitar and found that, after having learnt the guitar, my bass playing was shit loads better. Just a thought :-)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Salty

ooo any more thoughts on the tanglewood rebel? i found a decent one on the net but wasnt too sure. As for taking someone with me i'll see if my boyfriend will come along, he's been playing bass for a while now. Thunderbirds are neck heavey? Crap. They look fuckin ace, wouldnt have minded one of those but i wouldnt be able to handle it and i'd proabably just fall sideways anway! So Daisy Rock are getting the thumbs up? Bit pircey for me lol.

Interesting comment jon, about going to guitar from bass then your bass skills were better, hope that works for me. I'm more enthusiastic about the whole thing now that i know there's people about who can help. I was worried i'd just buy a bass on accounts of make and looks but theres some good advice, cheers again.

No daisy rock aren't getting the thumbs up, run away from them. I had a tanglewood rebel 5K for a short while. It's the 5 string version of the 4K. Quite a small body so it's really light. Again neck heavy but not that you'll notice this time. I am sure it would be quite a good choice.

and it's comments like that that make sure the instrument doesn't get taken as seriously as it should be.

?

im intrigued as to what you mean i meant it as a complement to bassists for example john paul jones of led zeppelin fame listen to his solo stuff his guitar work is fantastic and i can think of many many others.

bassists are the heart and soul of any band got a crap bassist better be a bloody fantastic band to make up for it (excepting bands without bassists) :)

QUOTE=Tav]To get no neck dive you want a top horn that lets the strap button sit somewhere above/near the 12th fret. A design like a thunderbird - huge headstock and no top horn - is never going to be that stable strapped on is it?

no ive seen how to do and then the guy with it strapped on and its sitting there fine...you have to put the strap lock like in the underside of the neck join i think....i cant really remeebr i will dig out the site possiblty if i can find it again..

im intrigued as to what you mean i meant it as a complement to bassists for example john paul jones of led zeppelin fame listen to his solo stuff his guitar work is fantastic and i can think of many many others.

bassists are the heart and soul of any band got a crap bassist better be a bloody fantastic band to make up for it (excepting bands without bassists) :)

but what does playing bass have to do with being a repressed guitarist?

and salty - I'm with Tav - i recommend the GSR200 as well - bloody nice bass guitars!

Right what i suggest is get a feel; of the instrument first.

have a bit of practice on a bass for example your boyfriend's

the go to r&b or bruce miller and try them out see how your hand sits on the neck and try out the flat and round neck each bass is slightly different from each other so what is good for one is absolutely crap from someone else.

for example some people love fender i really dont know why the sound is too tinny and the neck is too thick.....

oh by the way try them on an amp so you know how they sound

Guest Salty
Right what i suggest is get a feel; of the instrument first.

have a bit of practice on a bass for example your boyfriend's

the go to r&b or bruce miller and try them out see how your hand sits on the neck and try out the flat and round neck each bass is slightly different from each other so what is good for one is absolutely crap from someone else.

for example some people love fender i really dont know why the sound is too tinny and the neck is too thick.....

oh by the way try them on an amp so you know how they sound

yeh i might be getting a loan of my boyfriends first bass but he's thinking about it just now. i do need to get a feel for bass again though, i played it for about a year at school but that was a while ago so i do need to see if i still like bass.

yeh i might be getting a loan of my boyfriends first bass but he's thinking about it just now. i do need to get a feel for bass again though' date=' i played it for about a year at school but that was a while ago so i do need to see if i still like bass.[/quote']

well the bass is a very funny instrument no one really cares about bass player unless they are real gods of music and even then they are not that popular....

anyway if you played allready than you know what i am talking about (hopefully :p )

try to get back in to it look for a bass that is right for your hands... i found that bass with a wide bridge are better for slap and pop but if you are more on a pick i suggest a narow bridge so you have less apace between strings... the action of the baas is again very important some people prefere a high action some donte. playing the bass is very personal business (as it is for every other instrument) the fact that you ask for help is all right but honestly try as many basses as you can before you make your decision it toock me about 11 years to find the best bass i really hoipe for you that youll take less :D

i would keep on the look out here lol because i believe someone is selling a thunderbird bass for 140 or something but if you wanna but one from a shop i would go to RnB (reason for this is that Bruce Millers has their guitars on racks and the volume pots bang into the backs of the other bases and put dents in then.)

Guest Salty

ah nice bit of advice funky_peanut. do they have a good selection in r'n'b tho? i was going to get my guitar from there but my mum came home with it one day so ach well. i'm going in to get a new string for my guitar tomorrow so i'll be checking out some basses while i'm there.

Guest Salty

so they dont have any ibanez's? o and seeing as i've mentioned it where's the cheapest place to get guitar strings? that would be ernie ball strings. i only need a D

Guest Salty

good stuff, yeh i sent my mum to get me a string one day cos i couldnt get into town and she came back and she spent like 3 on one string apperantly. god knows where she went.

I can't see how that is going to work. That doesn't move the fixing point much further forward. I'm with Tav on this one.

And as for bass recommendations' date=' Ibanez SGR basses have really slim necks, almost akin to guitar necks. Good for small hands! Warwick Rock basses seem really good value for money. Look second hand. You might get a better quality instrument. I'm a big believer of buying quality gear as it will last longer, and if you've got a good bass that is nice to play and sounds good, you will be more likely to stick with it. :up:[/quote']

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/

thats the page im on about. see it seems to work