aberdeen-music

Bass Recomendations?

Guest Salty

Guest Salty

I'm thinking about learning to play bass because i suck at guitar basically. One problem, i no nothing about bass guitars! Can anyone point me in the right direction. My boyfriend, who is a bass player, says Yamaha is a good make to go for but not Squire, but, my friend says Squire's not bad. Help! It's a bit confusing cos i was looking at an Ibanez but no one's said if their any good.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Salty

Nah its ok, ive played before and trust me im better at bass than guitar, im really not a talented guitarist. or bassist for that fact but hey i'll give it a shot!

Guest Sundaram
Nah its ok' date=' ive played before and trust me im better at bass than guitar, im really not a talented guitarist. or bassist for that fact but hey i'll give it a shot![/quote']

Okay doke, well I'd reccomend Mexican or Japanese Fender Precision or Jazz bass's.

They are good, well built and not too pricey, just whats needed for starting out.

First off I'd consider sticking in at guitar. I couldn't get into it at age 8 and now at 18 I've started again. It's one of my biggest regrets. It's a hard instrument to get to grips with but it's worth it in the end. One point is that it is going to be just as hard to get good at playing bass as it is to get good at playing guitar.

If your a girl <which since you have a boyfriend I'll assume you are> then the chances are your hands aren't going to be of the largest proportions. For this reason I'd reccomend an Ibanez Bass. I have a SR300DX and it's great. The neck is thin and easy to play...if you have smaller hands then this is a major benifit...ask Princess as she has the same bass. There's a cheaper version the GSR200 which costs 179...good value in my opinion and I've stuck a picture below. You'd want to check out before you buy to make sure it's comfortable. There's also a GSR100 which is cheaper still. Check www.ibanez.com so you can see what else they have in SR series and what all the specs are.

GSR200BK.jpg

theres also those funky daisy rock basses (short scale so its not much longer than a guitar and designed for gurls apparently...im saying anything bad by that its just that they say they are so it mite be a help)...id get one if they werent short scale..rocking a nice big pink flower would be pretty kewl me thinks

Guest Salty

yeh they've got some of those in bruce millers. they are quite amazing, you get pink sparkly ones too ooo wow haha. thanks tav for your advice, i was looking at getting an Ibanez and that is one of the models i was looking at. o and its not that i have small hands, i just have stupid fingers that dont like to play cords higher the 9th fret lol!

you guys have been brilliant so far, cheers.

Plus you need shortscale strings do you not? Just creating more problems for yourself. Better to learn on a full scale length bass with easy playability.

There is nothing wrong with short scale, my first bass was a fender musicmaster which I wish I still had, it played like a dream and sounded great and short scale strings are readily available. You get good and bad squires, its best to take someone along who knows a bit.

Good luck.

theres also those funky daisy rock basses (short scale so its not much longer than a guitar and designed for gurls apparently...im saying anything bad by that its just that they say they are so it mite be a help)...id get one if they werent short scale..rocking a nice big pink flower would be pretty kewl me thinks
i really want a pink sparkly one...but i dont like short scale so alas...my search shall continue

It's comments like this that shall be the demise of our band, matey. :rolleyes: I saw quite a cool shortscale tele bass on ebay today...I can't remember who it was by, possibly a Burns/Fender mishmash.

what is the name of the company that produces them?

Im not a great fan of Epiphone Thunderbird-although the sound is nice its quite annoyingly uncomfortable to play.

It's Schechter (sp?) that makes them, isn't it? I do love the Epi Thunderbird though, the neck heaviness doesn't bother me too much and i love the thickness of the sound...

(you may have guessed i play bass a little bit/sometimes)

i really want a pink sparkly one...but i dont like short scale so alas...my search shall continue

I have a pink sparkly guitar that may be up for sale soon.... ;)

Plus, the Epi Thunderbird is a bit of a beast. The similalrly priced Fender (mex series) play and sound better. Our bassist got a Thunderbird though, just cos they are cool.

Anyway, he says the Thunderbird can be a bit akward and is weighted funny at the neck so you strain your left arm if you're playing on stage. And he's a 6ft+ guy (although a bit of a pussy). So, they might not be a good idea for a girl.

I'd recommend a Squire, since you still don't know if you're gonna stick with it. A squier wil be fine for the first couple of years you play, maybe then you'll want to move up a level to something more expensive.

I have no experience with ibanez basses though. Stay away from the Tanglewood Rebel basses - utter beasts.

Craig

The Daisy Rock heart shaped bass looks great' date=' I've played it aswell and it sounds a lot better than I excpected.[/quote']

It's hardly got the best ergonomics though does it. You'd be much better with something that has a more player friendly shape.

Either borrow one from a friend or buy a dirt cheap second hand one, as long as it works.

After a few months playing you'll be in a better position to judge for yourself wether you need a decent bass of your own and if so, what you want from it.

p.s. I've got a fretless lying about doing nothing which I may part with if anyone has a use for it. PM's if interested.

It's Schechter (sp?) that makes them' date=' isn't it? I do love the Epi Thunderbird though, the neck heaviness doesn't bother me too much and i love the thickness of the sound...

(you may have guessed i play bass a little bit/sometimes)[/quote']

shecter?for the daisy rock basses? yer im pretty sure its them.

The Daisy Rock heart shaped bass looks great' date=' I've played it aswell and it sounds a lot better than I excpected.[/quote']

really? think i may have to try one out sometime soon.

I have a pink sparkly guitar that may be up for sale soon.... ;)

Plus' date=' the Epi Thunderbird is a bit of a beast. The similalrly priced Fender (mex series) play and sound better. Our bassist got a Thunderbird though, just cos they are cool.

Anyway, he says the Thunderbird can be a bit akward and is weighted funny at the neck so you strain your left arm if you're playing on stage. And he's a 6ft+ guy (although a bit of a pussy). So, they might not be a good idea for a girl.

I'd recommend a Squire, since you still don't know if you're gonna stick with it. A squier wil be fine for the first couple of years you play, maybe then you'll want to move up a level to something more expensive.

I have no experience with ibanez basses though. Stay away from the Tanglewood Rebel basses - utter beasts.[/quote']

well i was looking at gettin a Thunderbird next (probably the gothic model) just move the strapbutton around and no more neck dive! i actually learned on a tranglewood rebel 4k.

just move the strapbutton around and no more neck dive! i actually learned on a tranglewood rebel 4k.

To get no neck dive you want a top horn that lets the strap button sit somewhere above/near the 12th fret. A design like a thunderbird - huge headstock and no top horn - is never going to be that stable strapped on is it?