aberdeen-music

eDrum Midi Mapper using Addictive drums

MC Nice Andrew

I'v been trying to use my TD-3 with something external for a while now, addtictive drums seemed to offer the most sound quality, kits and dynamic processing. I'v read about a bit, apparently the midi signal needs mapped before you use addictive drums as a plug in so that the information can correctly respond to the velocity, choke etc.

having a bit of trouble using the midi mapper side of things, not sure if i need a in out signal rather than just an out, doesn't seem to want to play ball, anyone got any experience with this kind of thing?

• 2 weeks later...

I use my Roland HD1 kit with Addictive Drums with no problems, as far as electronic kits go, the HD1 is at the very bottom of the market but I can get great results using the MIDI into Nuendo and then triggering Addictive Drums from there. Whats funny about Addictive Drums though, is that the keys for the drums are not GM compliant, ie. when you hit a kick drum it produces C1, a snare is D1, the Crash is C#2 and so on....but these aren't strictly the case in Addictive Drums (only the kick and snare seem to line up)...so you need to set up a custom key map to translate the input keys to different outputs. This is very simple in Cubase/Nuendo, but time consuming while you find the right keys. The instuction manual has the key layout.

Heres an example of how it should look, notice the hats and toms have different output notes to the input notes, but kick and snare are same. Hope this helps!

nqtem9.gif