aberdeen-music

Giraffe Union Sq

Anyone applied? Anyone heard anything back? Ad on the Union Sq website is confusing: assessment day on the 10th of August but closing date is the 20th?! :stupid:

I dunno, northcountrygirl; I wouldn't stick your neck out for this lot. I wouldn't hold your breath on Serenget-ing anywhere with them.

Yeah there will be a giraffe in Union Sq opening pretty soon. I have applied for full time work there with me being finished uni and no longer having a student loan to fall back on... working 13.5 hours per week just no longer cuts it. Have been a waitress/barmaid for the best part of 3 years so it will be interesting to see how things will work out on this one. I did write my application in such a way that I would like to progress... ie. go on to supervisory roles if something like that came up... but as I said you never know how these things will play out. So its the waiting game I must play again...

Guest idol_wild
Yeah there will be a giraffe in Union Sq opening pretty soon. I have applied for full time work there with me being finished uni and no longer having a student loan to fall back on... working 13.5 hours per week just no longer cuts it. Have been a waitress/barmaid for the best part of 3 years so it will be interesting to see how things will work out on this one. I did write my application in such a way that I would like to progress... ie. go on to supervisory roles if something like that came up... but as I said you never know how these things will play out. So its the waiting game I must play again...

Have you just graduated?

Don't go for retail jobs. Your qualification surely merits slightly more worthwhile jobs? I went into retail immediately after I graduated; I am now 30 and my life is a fucking mess.

Don't do it!

While the thread title led to the vain hope of a bizarre tall animal loose in Aberdeen shopping centre incident but has only ended up in inevitable disappointment, I did subsequently hope that it was going to be some exotic African cuisine biased eatery. Sadly on consulting the menu its another strange hotch-potch of dishes from various ethnic sources.

At least the Spur grill place is pretty honest in its All-American ability to make you a fat fuck due to excessive amounts of food. Mainly types of meat. I was there a while back and got a bit ambitious with my starter and main meal selection. The main course was the steak, ribs and chicken combo which turned out to be a huge bit of steak, half a side of pig and half a chicken. Having been on a diet for months I was making the most of my treat and I think I was close to my heart having some sort of meat-induced palpitation. The thought of eating any kind of meat made me feel queasy for about a week afterwards.

Have you just graduated?

Don't go for retail jobs. Your qualification surely merits slightly more worthwhile jobs? I went into retail immediately after I graduated; I am now 30 and my life is a fucking mess.

Don't do it!

Aye I've just graduated for the third time, getting nowhere finding work and I really just want to find something full time for the meantime just to get some cash together and live a little bit more comfortably. I know my degree warrants so much more than this, I've told myself that so many times, but my attitude is to keep looking and something will come up. I'm working in Primark just now and I've never been so bored!! Just sooo not for me. Only get 13.5 hours a week cos they take the attitude that I'll just leave to go on to something better.. its nonsense, I need to live, they could have easily offered me a better contract than 8 hours. I just need to keep myself occupied... If this came out the hat it would be a short term fix if anything...

How bad is it for you?

Go to an agency and get an office job. I assume it'll be better pay than shop floor stuff. I'm pretty confident you'll do less work and be treated a little nicer for the extra cash too. A bit more contuinity too with the Monday to Friday thing. You won't get some panicky shift supervisor yelling at you down the phone to come in on a Sunday with 2 hours notice.

Guest idol_wild
How bad is it for you?

I don't really want to go into specifics, but I have made some extremely bad choices in my life: one of them was not really utilizing the degree I achieved, and the other was becoming heavily involved in music. Not that the latter was much of an option; it just sort of happened - but it's the reason my life is pretty fucking crap. Music will be the death of me.

I urge you to use your degree/qualification and really pursue it while you still can, and the qualification is still fresh. Don't rest on a job in some fucking eatery called fucking Giraffe. Seriously. I don't mean to be patronising in any way, but you'll be stuck in that rut for a lot longer than you intend.

This makes me sound like a bitter old man. But it's okay, because I am one.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't really want to go into specifics, but I have made some extremely bad choices in my life: one of them was not really utilizing the degree I achieved, and the other was becoming heavily involved in music. Not that the latter was much of an option; it just sort of happened - but it's the reason my life is pretty fucking crap. Music will be the death of me.

I urge you to use your degree/qualification and really pursue it while you still can, and the qualification is still fresh. Don't rest on a job in some fucking eatery called fucking Giraffe. Seriously. I don't mean to be patronising in any way, but you'll be stuck in that rut for a lot longer than you intend.

This makes me sound like a bitter old man. But it's okay, because I am one.

Thanks so much, yeah you're right, I do need to use it. I've applied for a stack of jobs in the last week that will allow me to use my degree: one I got sent to me from a uni lecturer, a temp job up at Weatherford and one temp agency picked up the phone last week (hallejuyah) and put away my CV. In all fairness, I will not name where I work just now but its a last resort for a lot of people to take a job as its such an easy option to get work super quick and mainly because its such an open door policy to get a job... when I started I was merely bored and now I'm going insane, insane to the stage I come home at night and feel totally down in the dumps and thinking many things i ain't. Its not a job I enjoy and would go as far to say i totally hate it. Really really really hate retail work, bores the absolute shit out of me. Getting a row about your till being 10 over really does confuse the hell outta me.

Thanks for your advice,I do totally see where you're coming from.The last thing I want to be is stuck in a dead end job all my life... I'm worth so much more than that. In all fairness, I totally miss the hospitality buzz, miss the busy services and all that shizz. What's great is, you get job satisfaction and you have a neverending challenge... its always different and if I could get into a supervisory position and gain skills that would look fantastic on my cv for degree related jobs and thus, get my foot in the door, al be laughing. my current job tho, is driving me absolutely bonkers... anyone, considering taking a job in there i encourage you to think again, honest!!

I will not name where I work just now but its a last resort for a lot of people to take a job as its such an easy option to get work super quick and mainly because its such an open door policy to get a job.

Im guessing by your post in the other work thread, where you say where you work, you work in Primark.

• Upvote 1

Haha, trust me to do that! yeah in Primark! Awful is the word to describe it! I actually had a temp agency send me out on a job today, got paid 7 an hour to sit and answer a phone and wait for it to ring. Great you might say but I was uber bored.Seeing how tomorrow goes before I chose to keep it on or not but if it gets me out of the hell that is Primark then so be it

Haha, trust me to do that! yeah in Primark! Awful is the word to describe it! I actually had a temp agency send me out on a job today, got paid 7 an hour to sit and answer a phone and wait for it to ring. Great you might say but I was uber bored.Seeing how tomorrow goes before I chose to keep it on or not but if it gets me out of the hell that is Primark then so be it

Plenty spare time to plan your escape then.

What was your degree in?