aberdeen-music

!!!The Wig Is Back!!!

Well good news folks,

The Wig is back, under new ownership as of last Monday and we are looking to really push the music side of the bar, sports are out.

:rockon:!THE MUSIC IS BACK!:rockon:

We're now a young family run pub, refurbishing in a couple of weeks time so we're going to be closed for between 2 and 3 weeks from then, but once we return we'll really be pushing hard, live music every week and good tunes at all other times with Rock (of course) Blues and Jazz, if the music's good and it's got soul, we'll play it! An updated and modernised food menu, an excellent atmosphere and (we believe) the friendliest staff in town!

Look out for updates along with brand new Facebook, Twitter and web presences!

Please show your support, check in bar too, we're totally open for suggestions, advice and general banter!

Anyone looking for gigs or if you provide entertainment of any sorts, please ask in bar or give us a call! Also look out for jam and open mic nights!

We sincerely hope you like what we do with the place, hope to see everyone soon!

Wig Out!

Well good news folks,

The Wig is back, under new ownership as of last Monday and we are looking to really push the music side of the bar, sports are out.

:rockon:!THE MUSIC IS BACK!:rockon:

We're now a young family run pub, refurbishing in a couple of weeks time so we're going to be closed for between 2 and 3 weeks from then, but once we return we'll really be pushing hard, live music every week and good tunes at all other times with Rock (of course) Blues and Jazz, if the music's good and it's got soul, we'll play it! An updated and modernised food menu, an excellent atmosphere and (we believe) the friendliest staff in town!

Look out for updates along with brand new Facebook, Twitter and web presences!

Please show your support, check in bar too, we're totally open for suggestions, advice and general banter!

Anyone looking for gigs or if you provide entertainment of any sorts, please ask in bar or give us a call! Also look out for jam and open mic nights!

We sincerely hope you like what we do with the place, hope to see everyone soon!

Wig Out!

Are you going for a permanent PA type thing or is a bring your own kind of deal you'll be working?

BYO for now, but we'll certainly be thinking about setting up something permanent over time, our only issue is space really, so looking at all the options!

Sounds positive. You might find yourself restricted to cover bands if you don't have access to some sort of PA. I don't know a lot of original bands that carry their own PA.

Good luck though, I shall come on past to see what you got going on.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

In the interest of keeping this transparent and promoting the venue as a viable choice for a scene which is starved of decent small venues, can you put up some details about DIY bookings, prices etc?

IE is there a fixed charge to hire the venue, is charging at the door allowed, do you take bar money alone or a split of door money? Are you interested in DJ nights? Are you happy to accomodate any style? The most vibrant scene of small gig booking arguably revolves around the guys putting on punk/hardcore gigs that aren't always universally appreciated by punters - but if you were able to provide a decent option for this type of booking amongst others, you really would be providing a niche service, the likes of which hasn't really been seen since (Dr.) Drakes closed.

With the least of offense intended, I have had dealings with a few bars of your size who have facilities to do live music / DJ nights and almost all of them seem to make up the rules as they go along, cancel bookings, and are generally a nightmare to deal with. It would be brilliant to have a place where local musicians and DJs can just get on with booking gigs no hassle, and if the Tilted Wig is that place then you'll do well IMO.

Many thanks, Tom.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Tom,

Ok, we have no fixed charge to hire, we are open to charging on the door or ticketing certainly, this is definitely negotiable along with fees, but obviously we need to be sure that we can attract enough people, and seeing as we're just starting out we're hoping for a certain amount of understanding and flexibility when it comes to price.etc, however I can assure you that we are not going to mess anyone around and we'll do all we can for anyone we book.

To be honest we're more interested in gaining reputation than making profits (although obviously there are bills to be paid, so we have to try to make something out of it), we want to diversify not only the type of acts we can attract but the calibre too, so if that means spending some or negotiating on door take, then that is absolutely fine by us.

We're completely open to any acts to be honest, we're trying to move away from the standard pub garage bands and are really looking to promote anyone with talent (obviously a subjective thing) whether that be Dj's, bands, solo performers or whomever. We'll certainly even consider non musical acts, so long as we think our customers will enjoy the show and that we can attract people in! Obviously we are limited by space, so no full orchestra's I'm afraid, but we are completely open to suggestions, negotiations and ideas!

Hope this has helped! And absolutely no offence taken, please, we are super grateful for all the help and advice you guys can give!

Indeed we do, I can't guarantee that the whole of Cordia's still on there, but it's got an ace selection anyway.

Once we reopen post furbish it'll be even better!

Love it.

Anyone who'd actually do that should be immediately ejected from the premises. It's just good to know the option is there should a situation arise that you need 74 minutes of fantmas for 1.

They all laughed at volcano insurance.....

Oi wig! I like your attitude! Variety is good, Hope the reopening goes well. You should noise up some comedians perhaps too. I might be wrong but I think only snafu offers stand up and it's only on Mondays.

The Blue Lamp occasionally has comedians on a Sunday evening.

Anyway, I'm pleased to hear that the Tilted Wig will perhaps be a venue, fingers crossed some good shows can happen there.

Absolutely, we're certainly up for getting in comedians, probably as a specific event as opposed to a regular comedy night, may get away with once or twice a month I guess, certainly something we're willing to try and we can gauge the reaction, I know a few guys myself that I've had a chat with, but feel free to nominate anyone you feel would be suitable!

Well we're a little limited by our brewery ties, but we have Tennents, Fosters, Kronenbourg, 80, John Smiths and Guinness on draft for now, all competitively priced. Post refurb we're going to review the selection and will also be bringing in a couple of cask ales (prob IPA and a couple of rotated guest ales)

Standard range of spirits and shooters which again will be updated as we go and we'll be bringing in a classic cocktail menu and decent coffees and teas too in order to update! Again post refurb the food menu is also getting an overhaul, so look out for that, with a brand new pizza oven on the go too and better standards in general! Again, feel free to give any suggestions or ideas folks!

As a little point of interest, we're having a staff competition during the refurb whereby each member of staff is invited to produce 1 original cocktail and 1 original pizza, these will be independently judged and the winner of each will have their entry credited on the menu for all to see (and copyrighted in their name should it become a major hit!! haha)

Can't wait to see what the guys can come up with!