aberdeen-music

Sherlock

jester1470

Liked the first & third...not quite so keen on the second one.

Yeah, I'd agree with that - I liked the second one but not as much as the other 2, interestingly the co-creators each wrote the first and third episodes so I think they 'got' what it was about much more. I mean a writing team of Gattiss and Moffat should produce great stuff anyway and it certainly seemed to work in this case. My other half is a huge Holmes fan and was initially sceptical about them updating ti, she felt the period it was set in was an important part of the stories but she ended up loving them, she felt the update really worked well because it was written by people who obviously loved the original and understood the stories. I liked the Holmes character but felt it was Watson who made the show, he finally stepped outof the Nigel Bruce bungling helper into a proper character in his own right and I didnt feel he was too overshadowed something not even Brett and Hardwke/Burke managed to portray as well imo.

I loved it too. I agree the second episode was the weakest but I still enjoyed it. I really hope it returns with a longer second season.

I've read a few criticisms of him but I really loved Moriarty's appearance. The bit when he throws the memory stick into the pool, "BORING! Could have got it ages ago" was great.

My one complaint with the final episode was I would have liked it if it had finished when Moriarty left the first time leaving Holmes and Watson safe but confused. The cliff hanger with the snipers obviously leaves you in suspense but I fear a silly resolution making me :rolleyes:

As my gf pointed out the ending is soemthing of a modern equivalent to the Reichenbach falls, in that the solution that involves Moriarty being destroyed is by Holmes partaking of mutually assured destruction, ie he shoots Watson's vest and it explodes killing Moriarty and then Holmes gets shot - the modern day equivalent of grappling with Moriarty over the falls and both of them falling to their doom, Hiolmes sacrificing himself to destroy the evil he felt was so dangerous - a bit more final that Holmes' ending at Reichenbach but still possibly how Doyle might have written it had he been around now as he didnt have any intention of bringing Holmes back initially. Also means surely they'll do a second series... and could the Hound of the Baskervilles be updated nowadays ?

As my gf pointed out the ending is soemthing of a modern equivalent to the Reichenbach falls, in that the solution that involves Moriarty being destroyed is by Holmes partaking of mutually assured destruction, ie he shoots Watson's vest and it explodes killing Moriarty and then Holmes gets shot - the modern day equivalent of grappling with Moriarty over the falls and both of them falling to their doom, Hiolmes sacrificing himself to destroy the evil he felt was so dangerous - a bit more final that Holmes' ending at Reichenbach but still possibly how Doyle might have written it had he been around now as he didnt have any intention of bringing Holmes back initially. Also means surely they'll do a second series... and could the Hound of the Baskervilles be updated nowadays ?

Thats a really good way to look at it.

I was a bit confused about the ending as to how to feel about it but that would really be a clever ending if they had that in mind.

Totally stumbled upon this randomly and really liked it.

Quite a lot of unanswered questions also as to who is helping Moriarty etc.

Ill put a disclaimer on now in case this is really stupid ( i was insanely hungover when watching the third episode) but...

One thing i thought of was, once they save the people who have been haplessly strapped to bombs, did nobody think to ask for a description of the person who strapped them up?

I didnt notice anyone from the police ask for one and would have helped surely.

Begs the question (especially with the amount of snipers at the end also) how many helpers does he have, i take it Moriarty had people do his dirty work for him i.e the bomb strapping.

Thought the scene where they initially suggested Watson was Moriarty was very clever but not sure what to make of Moriarty's voice.

Yes, absolutely. There are so many clever little nods to the original, it really makes me smile.

Yes, absolutely. There are so many clever little nods to the original, it really makes me smile.

Yes the 5 pips amused us as duid the mention of the letter neing from a woman in Bohemia, a nice nod to the classic Rathbbone films too with the Golem being an obvious modern version of ther Creeper. Also amused by the smily face instead of VR on the wall.

Hugely enjoyed it. Everything prime-time BBC drama should be, witty, intelligent and well-acted.

I'm interested to see how they'll deal with the ending of the last episode, it's guaranteed to annoy some Holmes purists but it's clearly more an 'inspired by' than a literal retelling of the original Conan Doyle books, some lovely little nods though. Benedict Cumberbatch is fantastic and I love Martin Freeman so I'm glad he's managed to find a role in something this good.

Hugely enjoyed it. Everything prime-time BBC drama should be, witty, intelligent and well-acted.

I'm interested to see how they'll deal with the ending of the last episode, it's guaranteed to annoy some Holmes purists but it's clearly more an 'inspired by' than a literal retelling of the original Conan Doyle books, some lovely little nods though. Benedict Cumberbatch is fantastic and I love Martin Freeman so I'm glad he's managed to find a role in something this good.

Although it isn't exact they've done an incredible job of keeping the characters etc very much as they are in the books. most Holmes fans I know have really enjoyed it and been slightly amazed they managed it at all, i think its a real tribute to the writers that they've kept so much of the characterisation and the ethos and managed to make somethign so interesting and absorbing for modern audiences.

The Radio Times was at pains to point out that some of the older Holmes films were set in modern (at the time!) times....eg Basil Rathbone & Nigel Stock fighting the nazis.

Pretty much all of the Nigel Bruce/Basil Rathbones ones were updated, the only 2 that werent were the first 2, the Hound of the Baskervilles and the adventures of Sherlock Holmes, which were based on an original Doyle Story and a play by William Gillette he approved. The film franchise then moved to Universal who updated it, for any fans who mgiht want to hear what could have eben ahd they kept the Rathbone/Bruce collaboration in the 19th century here's the radio show that was kept there

Old Time Radio - Sherlock Holmes : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

well worth downloading some and hearing imo still the definitive Holmes.

• 6 months later...