aberdeen-music

Great Live, Shit On Record

Guest idol_wild

Let's twist it.

There was a band from Liverpool called Cecil who put on a great live show, but were pretty bobbins on record.

Any other thoughts?

Saw Cecil a few times, once supporting the Wildhearts on the PHUQ tour and I think once supporting Def Leppard - though it might have just been the singer from Cecil, quite enjoyed them but never enough to pick up any of their stuff.

Pulled Apart By Horses. The songs are there, but they've never had the right production on their records. They're not shit. They just sound flat.

Jets Vs Sharks. Raging live, but just like the above, the records sound rough.

The same could probably be said for alot of unsigned bands, as getting a solid recording costs big.

I feel like this about most dubstep/drum and bass stuff, not exactly the kind of thing I'd EVER listen to at home but I quite often go to see touring DJs at the likes of Origin and the Forum.

In terms of bands I agree with what was said above about Gallows, they put on a great show but aren't great recorded. I guess I hold Fucked Up in the same regard.

asva: absolutely devastating live. On record it's a load of twaddle recorded in a dry cave

this town needs guns. I do like the album but it's flat as a pancake and lacks dynamic, whereas live, they are all sorts of teckle

in decades decline. crushing live, isn't captured on record.

probably thousands more but those are three that really stick out....

asva: absolutely devastating live. On record it's a load of twaddle recorded in a dry cave

this town needs guns. I do like the album but it's flat as a pancake and lacks dynamic, whereas live, they are all sorts of teckle

in decades decline. crushing live, isn't captured on record.

probably thousands more but those are three that really stick out....

i remember asva breaking a pint glass when they played the tunnels through the sheers power of their low end. it spontaneously exploded in the sound booth.

are in decades decline still on the go? used to love seeing them.

Perfect example. They're not bad on record, they just fail to capture how exciting their shows are on record, where contemporaries like Dananananaykroyd managed pretty well.

They just need to stop being tight and fork out for a solid recording. All their records sound like 8 track in the practice space efforts.

I didn't even know they had an album. I have the split with Holy State and some other EP. Both sound a bit duff.

I'd imagine with those releases that the production was the best that they could afford. Like I said, not heard the album but I'd imagine it doesn't sound bad, or at least sounds how they intend their band to sound.

I've not really heard much Dinosaur Pile-Up, though the band I play in seems to get lumped in with them in a few reviews so maybe I should.