aberdeen-music

Cricket Fans...

kirkt

there hasn't been much coverage of this anywhere (adverts/mentions in the Evening Express) but Scotland play two matches in this years ECB Pro40 League at Mannofield soon.

21st August v Hampshire (who have Michael Carberry, Michael Lumb, Dominic Cork and Simon Jones in their squad)

22nd August v Leicestershire (who have Matthew Hoggard and future England star James Taylor)

I expect Scotland will get hammered in both games (they are bottom of their group just now) but should be good days out anyway, hopefully they'll put up a good fight and we'll get to see some class players in the opposition.

Tickets from Home | Cricket Scotland

2 for 1 deal here:

Aberdeen offer | Cricket Scotland

Only shame is that Pietersen probably won't be playing for Hampshire, he's so out of form even one of our part-time off spinners could get him out...

:up:

Yeah they dropped him from the Friends Provident T20 final last night. It was a pretty controversial ending to the game but exciting nonetheless. So Scotland against the champions eh? I was half expecting Carberry to be picked in place of Cook for this weekends test match but England have stuck with him which is bad for Scotland as Carberry is certainly in form.

• 3 months later...

It's Ashes (away) time again, insomniacs and cricket nuts rejoice!

Quite a few people are swinging (ho ho)towards a comfy win for the Nigels: fair enough, but only a total nugget would write the Aussies off. Tourists don't have the most experienced line up going across (no out-and-out ultra quicks either), and if Cook and Pietersen struggle for runs then the pressure is on the rest of the England top order.

I reckon the Nigels to scrape a 2-2 draw and keep the urn, only just....

• 8 months later...

Scotland are playing Leicestershire and Hampshire again this weekend at Mannofield, shame they've been drawn against the same two teams in the CB40 again for Aberdeen although I'm particuarly looking forward to Saturday's fixture at Mannofield to see England Lion's and upcoming England batsman James Taylor in action.

Scotland have won their last few games as well so should be able to put up a decent fight against a team that crumbled to 34 all out a few weeks ago. Hoggard is out but may get to see veteran wicketkeeper Paul Nixon before he retires.

Then on Sunday, it'll be interesting to see if Michael Carberry can repeat his triple century heroics of last week (or whatever the equivalent he could manage in 40 overs) for Hampshire.

Hopefully the weather will be decent...it's long overdue. Think it's 15 on the gate. more info at Cricket Scotland

• Upvote 1

Not sure the weather is meant to be all that brilliant, I'll be taking a brolly along.

Would be nice to see Badger playing, I was led to believe he retired straight after last weekend? Hope I've got that wrong.....

I wouldn't expect him to play - he's been T20 only this year as far as I'm aware. Saturday was to be his last game if Leicestershire had gone out against Kent but he'll be getting his send off at Edgbaston on Finals day.

I'll try to get along for this on Saturday, I reckon. It'll be a good warm up before going down to Durham for the England v India ODI next month.

Taylor appears to be playing for the England Lions so doesnt look like he'll be there, shame but good news for Scotland. Some good players in the Leicestershire squad though...Jefferson, Du Toit, Cobb though I reckon they are more beatable than Hampshire. Forecast is looking alright for the weekend too! :)

I enjoy cricket, a lack of funds and a hefty supply of weed meant I stayed in all summer during the flintoff ashes and really got into the sport. Working for an Indian owned company made the last world cup a great experience, then seeing the craziness of the IPL first hand in India was awesome (had tickets for the final but got Delhi belly and had to bail). Five day tests I just can't do though, I don't know enough to really get into it, the one day format is much more appealing to me. I'm also kind of put off by the fact that like golf, darts and snooker, you constantly have to justify the sport to other people. It's funny though, Americans are much more receptive to the sport than folks back home. Because it's so similar to baseball and has a lot of stats they think it's something they could get into but access to it is so limited they have no way of doing so. I was surprised to see the India world cup win was on a lot of major news networks but it's got a long way to go to become a global sport. Then on the other hand, it doesn't really need to. The population of india/Pakistan/Bangladesh will ensure its popularity.

Sorry, I don't really know where this post is going/went.

Hampshire won the Sunday game by 4 runs (D/L), after the game had already been reduced to 23 overs per side. I think it was a bit unfair that Hampshire were set the same target as Scotland though as Scotland had already batted 4 overs before they were reduced to 23 overs. Good batting performance from Kyle Coetzer.