aberdeen-music

Good ear plugs for musicians?

Hi all,

Can folk give me recommendations for reasonably priced ear plugs that I could wear when rehearsing/gigging, which would mean that my guitar doesn't sound like a muffled mess in another room? I think that at the grand old age of 27, I should perhaps start looking after what is left of my hearing.

I use ER-20s, and while they're better than the 'wotsit' variety, there's still a noticeable dip in the mids and highs.

I'd expect this to be the case unless you're willing to pay considerably. To be honest, it's probably good investment; your ears are arguably the most valuable thing you own if you play music.

I think the ER-20's are pretty much the best you can get other than spending 150+ on a set of custom moulds.

I have been wearing them for a few years and they are pretty good, not perfectly flat response, but light years ahead of things like the Proplugs and the other cheaper alternatives I have tried.

Outside the "reasonably priced" bracket you can get a custom made set from Aberdeen Hearing services on George Street for 160. Its a lot of dosh but they really are the shizzle. Its worth scratching the money together like!! You'll shit a brick the first time someone says "can you hear that" and you can't hear anything, I know I did!! :down:

Outside the "reasonably priced" bracket you can get a custom made set from Aberdeen Hearing services on George Street for 160. Its a lot of dosh but they really are the shizzle. Its worth scratching the money together like!! You'll shit a brick the first time someone says "can you hear that" and you can't hear anything, I know I did!! :down:

Unless you're starting an Evelyn Glennie tribute band, what the hell would be the point in that?

Unless you're starting an Evelyn Glennie tribute band, what the hell would be the point in that?

thats so when i'm 30 i can still play music in a band as I can still have the ability to differenciate notes/instruments being played rather than just hearing white noise. Some people spend thousands on an instrument that never leaves their bedroom, I decided to spend some of that on plugs that might save my ears. I never wore the cheaper plugs as I really struggled to hear shit with them, with these molded ones normal speach isn't cut at all, just all the harsh stuff.

If you haven't experienced hearing loss then it might seam like a huge price to pay but believe me you will shite your pants when you realise you can no longer hear the difference between a drum kit and a guitar at high volume!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with Doobie. I splashed out for a moulded set of plugs and they are the dogs b...........s. I don't come out after playing with ringing in my ears anymore and feedback spikes don't bother me anymore. They are expensive, but having seen a close family member go deaf through noise exposure it is not something I want to experience. I still want to be able to hear Led Zeppelin when I am being pushed around Benny Hill style in my dotage.

• 2 weeks later...