aberdeen-music

Oi Hipster. Excuse me, wtf r u doin?

Teabags

Art is something created by skill or imagination with a view to expressing views and feelings of the creator/demonstrating their skill. What this girl has done is clearly something from her mind and she is expressing something she is feeling, and therefore qualifies as art. However, I think it is bullshit. I hate this form of art. Yes, she is expressing something, but what is it? I don't have a clue, and so far no one in this thread has said what it is. I understand that not everyone is going to "get" all pieces of art, but if the vast majority of a sample audience don't have a clue what's going on, then what's the point? Surely there are more effective methods of conveying what she is trying to than clarting yourself in dirt, rubbing tinned spaghetti into your groin and taking a whizz on the floor in front of a live audience.

If I get really really drunk, in a bar, take my cock out, shake it in people's faces, then puke and pass out, then people talk about it, does that make it art? or was it me being a drunken twat?

Yas. I'm an artist. Hipster chicks are gonna be wetting themselves to get at my rancid exposed cock.

3 thoughts

1-2 minutes to open a fuckin can, pathetic.

2-Carolee Schneeman was doing this shit way back when society was much more sexually uptight, actually making an artistic point en route. This does not quite work in the era of 'Hotter than my Daughter' et al.

3-The body of the artist as art has run its course, damn you Marina Abramovic!

FACT, some of them were there for free booze, unless there was no free booze, and what sort of art happening is that, none I ever heard of.

Are you saying that because it is repulsive it isn't art?

The performer doesn't 'insist' anything either.

I'm not saying it isn't art. I'm saying that "we're talking about it, so it's art" just doesn't work. Teabags pretty much summed it up.

I wasn't really referring to the performer either, so I will repeat as "pointing to a grotesque, sub-Jackass stunt and insisting that it makes one think about art in new way, merely because it's shocking, is pretentious."

If I get really really drunk, in a bar, take my cock out, shake it in people's faces, then puke and pass out, then people talk about it, does that make it art? or was it me being a drunken twat?

Is that not sort of your standard weekend? The Moorings is a permanent art gallery with Teabags as a regular art installation. Whod have thunk it?

What happened to artists actually having skill or technique? I miss those days.

Come on Phil get with the times, those are outdated concepts. Trying to think up the most pointless shite to pass off as art and then trot out the ah but what is art actually? argument is where its atand has been for what seems like years and yearsmaybe actual traditional artistic talent is due a renaissance.

:up:

Guest idol_wild

If art these days is merely about someone expressing a thought or idea in order to instigate some sort of reaction to it, then politicians can therefore be regarded as artists.

In my world, politicians are definitely not artists.

Fuck you, art. I now hate you.

If art these days is merely about someone expressing a thought or idea in order to instigate some sort of reaction to it, then politicians can therefore be regarded as artists.

Perhaps more worryingly, that means that Rangers fans can be regarded as artists.

Why are people making the same points over and over again?! It was designed as an art form, to provoke a response. The response was got. Most people think the girl's a dick. We got to make fun of 'hipsters' for a bit. K DONE

And pissing in public is not the same as performance art. Art has ideas beyond the obvious in every piece. The idea of pissing in the street is just pissing in the street.

Not sure how the video or the artist are 'pretentious', though? Studying art is as pretentious as studying engineering, it's just people doing what they're interested in. Seems futile to moan at people for doing something harmless.

And pissing in public is not the same as performance art. Art has ideas beyond the obvious in every piece.
But I'll have my spiel about how it is symbolic of my idealogical struggle against the nature of cities destroying mother earth with their concrete wastelands, and how I wish the earth was green again so that my pissing would help to fertilise and only be seen as a natural bodily process rather than an offense all recited and ready.

Don't tell me it's not art. Don't go criticising something just cos you don't understand it. That's pretentious.

• Upvote 1

Why are people making the same points over and over again?! It was designed as an art form, to provoke a response. The response was got. Most people think the girl's a dick. We got to make fun of 'hipsters' for a bit. K DONE

And pissing in public is not the same as performance art. Art has ideas beyond the obvious in every piece. The idea of pissing in the street is just pissing in the street.

Not sure how the video or the artist are 'pretentious', though? Studying art is as pretentious as studying engineering, it's just people doing what they're interested in. Seems futile to moan at people for doing something harmless.

Perhaps because people in Britain generally tend to be suspicious of people who deviate from the things that allow them to identify as a 'good, proper bloke'. I'm not sure if it's a class-culture thing or if it's a masculinity thing or what.

Proper bloke approved:

Football

Top Gear

Ready Salted flavoured Rock 'n Roll

American films with gangsters in

Proper art with fields and people and stuff you can hang in the shitter

A bit weird and suspicious:

Books without spys and mysterys in

Films without proper endings and accordian music.

self-expression of any form

bands that haven't got a Best Of out and aren't advertised with Zane Lowe saying 'Featuting the hit single...'

Girls giving birth to Heinz products on gallery floors.

But I'll have my spiel about how it is symbolic of my idealogical struggle against the nature of cities destroying mother earth with their concrete wastelands, and how I wish the earth was green again so that my pissing would help to fertilise and only be seen as a natural bodily process rather than an offense all recited and ready.

Don't tell me it's not art. Don't go criticising something just cos you don't understand it. That's pretentious.

Then do it! Internet messageboards might laugh at you, but part of the beauty of our society is that both responses are valid.

Perhaps because people in Britain generally tend to be suspicious of people who deviate from the things that allow them to identify as a 'good, proper bloke'. I'm not sure if it's a class-culture thing or if it's a masculinity thing or what.

Proper bloke approved:

Football

Top Gear

bands that haven't got a Best Of out and aren't advertised with Zane Lowe saying 'Featuting the hit single...'

bullshit

bullshit

Can you expand on that? I'm generally interested on why people take such violent reactions to things sometimes. Those are just my feelings on it.

I do believe Britain celebrates people who go 'I'm just a simple lad, me! None o' yer arty-farty stuff for me! Just the footy and a pint of bitter!' a little too much.

Guest idol_wild

Proper bloke approved:

Football

Top Gear

Then do it! Internet messageboards might laugh at you, but part of the beauty of our society is that both responses are valid.

What about females?

well i can only speak from my perosnal experience and the people i know, but they like a great deal of different things in terms of music, films art and the like, sure some of the them are stuck in their ways. My best mate will watch any film but will not try a different kind of beer.

Other mates will reccomend obscure books that have interested them but will not open their mind to different music or main stream music or underground music ect. I think people do express themselves maybe its because people can do it in other ways. Writing stories, telling jokes and stories and just because they dont film it or have an audience doesnt mean they dont do it. The reason for the "bullshit" response was for the absolute generalisation of a whole population containing sooo many different backgrounds and cultures.

well i can only speak from my perosnal experience and the people i know, but they like a great deal of different things in terms of music, films art and the like, sure some of the them are stuck in their ways. My best mate will watch any film but will not try a different kind of beer.

Other mates will reccomend obscure books that have interested them but will not open their mind to different music or main stream music or underground music ect. I think people do express themselves maybe its because people can do it in other ways. Writing stories, telling jokes and stories and just because they dont film it or have an audience doesnt mean they dont do it. The reason for the "bullshit" response was for the absolute generalisation of a whole population containing sooo many different backgrounds and cultures.

Actually, that's a totally fair response and I respect it. It was kind of childish of me to generalise so much, but I got off on a bit of a rant. I also came across as a bit of a prick, full disclosure.

I still stand by my confusion that the idea of the 'common man or woman' we're presented with by the media generally doesn't include someone who's prone to think about things. Let me put it another way:

Why is Joe Average seen as an ideal type? Britain generally (and by this, I think I mean the British media, maybe) LOVES a story about an ordinary person made good, but hates it if anyone dares gets 'above' themselves. What's with that?