aberdeen-music

The Second Hand Marching Band + Benni Hemm Hemm + Eagleowl @ The Tunnels, 4 Sep

interesting music promotions present

THE SECOND HAND MARCHING BAND + BENNI HEMM HEMM + EAGLEOWL

Saturday, 4 September 2010

The Tunnels, Carnegies Brae, Aberdeen, AB10 1BF. Phone (01224) 211121

Doors 8pm

Tickets 6+bf in adv / 8 on door

Available from One-Up Records, Belmont Street, Aberdeen. Phone (01224) 642662 or

http://www.ticketweb.co.uk

http://www.myspace.com/interestingmusic

http://www.thetunnels.co.uk

THE SECOND HAND MARCHING BAND - are from Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling, Ayr, Kincardine, Cumbernauld, Neilston, Canada, Airdrie and elsewhere. They have been together since the end of 2007 and play guitars, ukeleles, mandolins, triangles, accordians, trumpets, tenor horns, saxophones, trombones, glockenspiel, castanets, marching drums, melodicas, woodblocks, tamborines, bells, violins, flutes, clarinets and other stuff.

The second hand marching band are a group of 16-22 musicians who play mainly in Scotland. They play folk music which is a mixture of dance, pop and post-rock influences.

The SHMB started performing in December 2007 and have in the last year been up and down Scotland playing venues, tea houses, parks, festivals, fields and now make their Aberdeen debut.

http://www.myspace.com/thesecondhandmarchingband

BENNI HEMM HEMM - is the band of Benedikt H. Hermannsson. He writes the bands songs and produces the bands recordings. The band is an organism that is hard to explain. Its members are in total around 300. At shows the size of the band is usually somewhere from 3 to 40.

Benni Hemm Hemm was born when he released the SummerPlate E.P. in the summer of 2003. The E.P. was a solo release, produced by Benedikt H. Hermannsson. It was released in 30 copies.

The first performance of the big band of Benni Hemm Hemm was on the 1st of May, 2004 at the 5th birthday of Kitchen Motors. And after that performance there was no turning backcurrently resident in Edinburgh

http://www.myspace.com/bennihemmhemm

EAGLEOWL are a lo-fi post-folk ensemble from Edinburgh. The Scotsman said they sound like "the soundtrack to the saddest, most beautiful art-house film you've never seen." The List once described them as "simply beautiful". Song, By Toad described them as being "torturously slow" which they regard as a huge compliment.

Described as sounding like Hood, the Dirty Three, Spiritualized, Neil Young, Red House Painters, Tindersticks, John Cale, Sigur Ros, Sparklehorse, Mogwai, Graham Coxon, Low, "The White Stripes without the tits", "like the Jesus and Mary Chain had wandered into a folk club", "proof that you can cross Nirvana with the Proclaimers", "70s bastard grandchildren of doom" and "really atmospheric. Like Braveheart".

http://www.myspace.com/eagleowlattack

• 2 weeks later...
Guest idol_wild
I get muddled up with all these 'Owl' bands. Are Eagleowl the ones with the girl playing double bass? If so I saw them in Tunnels before and they were ace, although I seem to remember there was a lot of noise going on at the barthat night which spoiled it a bit.

Yes! Indeed, Kartta and Copy Haho also played that night. That gig was mint. Aside from the offensive crowd dirge, which was contributed to in no small way by Michael from Kartta. He was reprimanded post-gig.

I get muddled up with all these 'Owl' bands. Are Eagleowl the ones with the girl playing double bass? If so I saw them in Tunnels before and they were ace, although I seem to remember there was a lot of noise going on at the barthat night which spoiled it a bit.

Fear not you know with an IMP event that shhhhhh or STFU will be adopted if the need arises

Yes! Indeed, Kartta and Copy Haho also played that night. That gig was mint. Aside from the offensive crowd dirge, which was contributed to in no small way by Michael from Kartta. He was reprimanded post-gig.

Was that the night that half of the Haho boys were absolutely shitefaced and for some reason the riff from 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' was in constant circulation? If so that was one of my favourite gigs we played, was just a good fun night with no egos. I drank too much before we played and fucked up a few times but it didn't seem to matter that night.

Guest idol_wild
Was that the night that half of the Haho boys were absolutely shitefaced and for some reason the riff from 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' was in constant circulation?

That was the very night. Didn't Joe wear a spacesuit that night too?

"Hi. We're called Caw-pee Ha-Ho, and we're from outer space."

If so that was one of my favourite gigs we played, was just a good fun night with no egos. I drank too much before we played and fucked up a few times but it didn't seem to matter that night.

It never mattered if you fucked up. Because we all did it. A lot.

I miss Kartta. But I do not miss that EP Kartta released last year. Horrendous representation of the band, fussed over by two audiophiles who, in my opinion, completely misjudged what Kartta actually sounded like. Of course, it didn't really help that all the original members of the band had left when we got round to recording it.

Anyway, who cares.

Motherfucking eagleowl are playing this gig. Worth the entry fee on their own merit.

I miss Kartta. But I do not miss that EP Kartta released last year. Horrendous representation of the band, fussed over by two audiophiles who, in my opinion, completely misjudged what Kartta actually sounded like. Of course, it didn't really help that all the original members of the band had left when we got round to recording it.

I'll be honest and say I was a bit disappointed by that EP when I listened to it, with no disrespect to the folk involved. After waiting so long to actually hear a 'proper' Kartta release it seemd a bit...flat. Despite the flaws, the tacked on version of 'Henri...' for me still gives a better representation of Kartta and that's not because I'm on it, it just had more life to it. It still irks me a bit that we accumulated enough gig cash to do a semi-decent recording and it ended up kind of frittered away by abortive attempts at recording at Musical Vision and thon other joint out Banchory way.

Ah weel.

Guest idol_wild
Eagleowl are indeed fantastic. I think Mike, Graeme and myself have all tried to book them at some point over the past couple of year! I'm well looking forward to this one.

Phil, are you playing with Meursault tonight? I'm coming down to Fife.

eagleowl are very difficult to book. I have offered my services to book their UK tours for them, but they are not very forthcoming. I guess they just want to do it themselves, which is fair play.

Tonight Meursault will just be Neil - the guys at Fence are luddites who only like acoustic stuffs.

Guest idol_wild
I'll be honest and say I was a bit disappointed by that EP when I listened to it, with no disrespect to the folk involved. After waiting so long to actually hear a 'proper' Kartta release it seemd a bit...flat. Despite the flaws, the tacked on version of 'Henri...' for me still gives a better representation of Kartta and that's not because I'm on it, it just had more life to it. It still irks me a bit that we accumulated enough gig cash to do a semi-decent recording and it ended up kind of frittered away by abortive attempts at recording at Musical Vision and thon other joint out Banchory way.

Ah weel.

I totally agree with everything you just said there, apart from the fact that the EP disappointed me more than a "bit". I recall hearing the first mixes and writing a substantially sized email to Rob outlining the flaws I felt there were, and not only did he avoid speaking to me for over a week, he completely ignored my suggestions. This is when I took a back seat and didn't give an ounce of shit what the EP was going to sound like, and requested my guitar be removed from certain songs.

Anyway, this is not a Kartta forum.

You should all go to see eagleowl. They will not disappoint you. Unless you like really really bad music.

hiya,

This is pete from The Second Hand Marching Band

we've put together a wee free EP for you of eagleowl, benni hemm hemm and SHMB.

Aberdeen times!

It's got links on it to the facebook event thingy and the last.fm event thingy. Please if you can let others know, would be great to see lots of people there.

Also, we're going to be busking/playing outside on the afternoon of the gig - can anyone suggest a good place to go?

Guest idol_wild
Also, we're going to be busking/playing outside on the afternoon of the gig - can anyone suggest a good place to go?

I reckon Belmont Street is your best bet. It has One Up Records and Kilau Coffee in the vicinity, and it's a major thoroughfare between two busy parallel city centre streets.

Outside the art gallery might be pretty neat, too.

I reckon Belmont Street is your best bet. It has One Up Records and Kilau Coffee in the vicinity, and it's a major thoroughfare between two busy parallel city centre streets.

Union Terrace Gardens is a must even for ten minutes :up:

Pretty much exactly what I would have suggested plus maybe outside M&S. See you there with flyers.