aberdeen-music

laeto and senator in edinburgh

Guest stuartmaxwell

Guest stuartmaxwell

this show was truly fucking rocking, two of scotlands finest bands on the same line up and they didnt dissapointing

the bonus for you all is that laeto are playing drakes on the 6th august with sucioperro and small enclosed area

there are samples of the new album on the website www.laeto.co.uk

and senator are playing drakes on the 24th of september with alamos, masamune and deadloss superstar

www.senatortheband.com

if you like the mp3s you should buy the album "united wire", was recorded by steve albini and its amazing

went to see degrassi at the baby tiger night on saturday, and i was rather disspointed!

met up with jon and craig deadenstereo, got very very drunk both nights (15 hour drinking session yesterday) feeling rough as chuff all day today :( lovely chaps

go listen to their music at www.deadenstereo.co.uk

Guest ForbiddenFruitcake

hah, i knew it'd be awesome, damn you! ooh, i can't wait to see laeto and sucioperro, can't believe i missed sucioperro at fudge! woo, and now senator are playing september, good news all round!

the deadenstereo chaps are indeed lovely....

and if you are feeling rough mr maxwell, its all your own fault! :p

Guest lime ruined my life

i dont know whats happened with laeto to be honest.

i think they made a consious decision to turn shit. thatd make more sense than anything else. out of all those samples there was only one i liked, the party one, and the rest were terrible! i knew theyd made a change from the last album, but from what i heard on radio 1 when they did the session the change was at least to other good stuff. now its derivative boring rubbish.

Guest stuartmaxwell

there is a wide selction of stuff on this new album

i loved the post rock meanderings on "make us mild" and its one of my favourite albums

but the band moved on and i love this stuff too, a great live show

the album is worth buying alone for particularly "winning streak" "chuck yeager" and one that used to be called "stood up sat down" as they are ace ace songs

Guest stuartmaxwell

the only place you can get it seems to be amazon or ebay (and ebay isnt very frequent)

even members of the band had difficulty to obtain one after losing their original

i dont know whats happened with laeto to be honest.

i think they made a consious decision to turn shit. thatd make more sense than anything else. out of all those samples there was only one i liked' date=' the party one, and the rest were terrible! i knew theyd made a change from the last album, but from what i heard on radio 1 when they did the session the change was at least to other good stuff. now its derivative boring rubbish.[/quote']

hey man,

turning shit wasn't a conscious decision, it just happened.

really though, it's been a long time since anyone heard anything recorded by us, even that radio 1 session was what, 3 years ago or something?

thing is, we've done our growing up in private for the last few years, we changed a bit at a time, without meaning to, and people never got to hear the progression.

it's a shame that you're not into the new stuff, but we knew that people wouldn't be, it's too different from before i guess.

that's the way it goes, we'd rather do what we're into whether that changes or not than hold back and be bored because we're scared what might happen if we allowed ourselves to change.

anyway, i appreciate that from what you said you were into the older stuff, i still love it, and i'm proud of it.

we're still exactly the same band in my opinion, we still use all the same tricks we did before, just slightly different delivery, and we've got singing because... why not? i hope you appreciate that.

i was 19 when we wrote the songs that are on the first album, i'm 25 now, it's got to be different.

i'm not shouting you down, i just thought your post merited a response.

for the record as well, 2 of the 3 songs from that last radio 1 session are on the album, there really is quite a wide range of stuff on it.

anyway,

thanks for listening to the samples anyway,

take care,

Fraser

An unsolicited response...

When I was playing in a Dundee band (who shall remain nameless ;P) around the time the first Laeto album came out, I saw them 4 or 5 times. To the guy who said they'd 'turned shite', I really don't agree. Not that they were shite then, but the band I saw in the Cafe Royal on Friday night were, for me, a much more powerful and interesting proposition. Why have singing? Because sometimes you can't articulate everything through music alone, and sometimes you need to say something.

I didn't really know what to expect before the gig - to paraphrase the above, I was 18 the last time I saw them, and I'm 24 now - and I was genuinely impressed by how good a band they were. When I eventually got home (Stuart, Craig, your fault...), the first thing I did was stick on the sampler (note to everyone: free samplers are unequivocably a great idea) and that has to be a sign of a good gig.

Shit, I've just read back this post, and I reckon using the computer after finishing off the weekend's beer is a sure fire way to meander on and on and on...so I'll stop.

And you may never know what the point was.

Amen.

Guest stuartmaxwell

here here

and you can see what the fuss is about on friday 6th august at drakes when laeto play with the superb sucioperro and small enclosed area

oh yeah!

An unsolicited response...

When I was playing in a Dundee band (who shall remain nameless ;P) around the time the first Laeto album came out' date=' I saw them 4 or 5 times. To the guy who said they'd 'turned shite', I really don't agree. Not that they were shite then, but the band I saw in the Cafe Royal on Friday night were, for me, a much more powerful and interesting proposition. Why have singing? Because sometimes you can't articulate everything through music alone, and sometimes you need to say something.

I didn't really know what to expect before the gig - to paraphrase the above, I was 18 the last time I saw them, and I'm 24 now - and I was genuinely impressed by how good a band they were. When I eventually got home (Stuart, Craig, your fault...), the first thing I did was stick on the sampler (note to everyone: free samplers are unequivocably a great idea) and that has to be a sign of a good gig.

Shit, I've just read back this post, and I reckon using the computer after finishing off the weekend's beer is a sure fire way to meander on and on and on...so I'll stop.

And you may never know what the point was.

Amen.[/quote']

Thanks.

The reason for the vocals all the time isn't necessarily that we want to convey a message (most of our songs are about fairly abstract subject matter anyway), but more to do with the fact that a voice is an instrument that we like a lot, and we use it as one. We still don't compress the fuck out of everything and stick the vocals way up in the mix, because it remains a band instrument as far as we're concerned, and has no right to be louder than anything else. The lyrics do mean something though, just maybe just not to other people.

Also, on reflection, after thinking for a moment on the subject of becoming derivative, i really don't see what's derivative about our band at the moment. Certainly, it would have been as derivative to be the instrumental post-rock band we were 5 years ago when almost all post-rock music is instrumental.

Like i said, we kept our devices and gradually employed a different delivery. If that makes us derivative then i don't see why. I don't see many independent scottish bands with solos like we have or the stylistic method we have, and these are our contemporaries.

In summary, it seems that some people may have a problem with our band "straying from our roots" for want of a better term, and doing only what pleases us, current tastes (whatever they may be at that time) and our interest in what we can achieve as a band.

It would seem to me that this is what stops us from being derivative, the fact that we've effectively expanded our gene pool into other genres to stop this from happening.

I talk too much, eh?

Anyway,

peace out

Fraser

i didint say anything bad about the vocals, i fully endorse using vocals, just a si fully endorse using guitar. it should be used where necesary. i quite liked one of the samples, the clips i got form the rest of the samples were a bit out of my listening range. i dont know, one of them was like outrageous guitar solos, which is ok, just not my kind of thing. i appreciate you responded to my post though.

for the record, i purchase make us mild in londons tower records. if i get a copy of the album somehow il give it a more thorough listen.

i dont know, i used to be in this post rock place. now im in a hip hop, electronica place. i still really like guitar stuff, but more sonic youthy, yo la tengoy stuff, rather than 80's guitar rock...

thats all.

byebye.

lime out.

i didint say anything bad about the vocals' date=' i fully endorse using vocals, just a si fully endorse using guitar. it should be used where necesary. i quite liked one of the samples, the clips i got form the rest of the samples were a bit out of my listening range. i dont know, one of them was like outrageous guitar solos, which is ok, just not my kind of thing. i appreciate you responded to my post though.

for the record, i purchase make us mild in londons tower records. if i get a copy of the album somehow il give it a more thorough listen.

i dont know, i used to be in this post rock place. now im in a hip hop, electronica place. i still really like guitar stuff, but more sonic youthy, yo la tengoy stuff, rather than 80's guitar rock...

thats all.

byebye.

lime out.

[/quote']

p.s if id written those songs when i was 19, id be proud too.

i didint say anything bad about the vocals' date=' i fully endorse using vocals, just a si fully endorse using guitar. it should be used where necesary. i quite liked one of the samples, the clips i got form the rest of the samples were a bit out of my listening range. i dont know, one of them was like outrageous guitar solos, which is ok, just not my kind of thing. i appreciate you responded to my post though.

thats all.

byebye.

lime out.[/quote']

fair enough,

thanks for replying without the "you're wrong and you're a wank" attitude that i might have expected on the jockrock forums or something similar.

i'm not trying to convert you, but there are songs that are a lot less stylised on the new record. there's 13 full songs on it, and still a lot of post-rocky stuff (if you can call it that).

One of my mates brought his friend along to see us in february and he fucking hated it, he said we were "fucking awful, not like bad post-rock, like bad van halen", stuart persuaded him to come along again last saturday and he said he was into it because he "heard the post-rock bits this time". I dunno, maybe after a few listens it changes a wee bit.

maybe not.

thanks anyway,

fraser.

Guest stuartmaxwell

that solo in "bad taste party" is fucking ace

i personally think the new stuff is better than the post rock stuff (and i am a big post rock fan), it makes the live show a lot better and its rather quirky!their backline sound always seems to be spot on and when the bass goes into big muff mode it rocks right through you

it would be great to hear them play "tears on the golf course" or "rowan guerilla" every now and again, but evolution is evolution and i wont be holding my breath in any way at all, as long as they keep bringing the rock and dont turn into a bad u2 tribute act i dont care,

rock on!

the stuff on those samples sounds much better, to me, than the stuff I saw you playing supporting idlewild a few years back and a couple of times since.

You'll always disappoint people by changing style, no more matter how slightly, but you also pick some people up along the way.

Looking forward to seeing laeto at the drakes gig now whereas before I was just looking forward to drinking through laeto at drakes...