aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
scott.wright

Union Terrace Gardens

Guest Cool Thinker

I go to UTG every sunday, it's become routine, I'd sorely miss it,

anyone else venture down to where the turntable used to be

It's not going it will just be updated it's the road and train tracks that will be raised to street level with Union Street closed between Market Street and Bridge Street.

Guest Cool Thinker

that will be a steep incline for the train to negotiate from the station

lol, what I meant was it would be covered up and built over at street level.

So the council's plan is to develop UTG by pedestrianising Union Street? I thought they wanted to pedestrianise Broad Street as part of their scheme to build new high-rises to replace St Nicholas House. Well done to everyone who 'saved' UTG by voting Labour. Haw haw.

Guest Cool Thinker

So the council's plan is to develop UTG by pedestrianising Union Street? I thought they wanted to pedestrianise Broad Street as part of their scheme to build new high-rises to replace St Nicholas House. Well done to everyone who 'saved' UTG by voting Labour. Haw haw.

Union Terrace Gardens is being left alone except for some minor improvements it's the railway and road that is being build over.

That makes no sense.

Also worth noting that those are not the Council's plans. Those are just some drawings that the architect Mr Halliday has come up with of his own accord. The Council will not be announcing their plans for a bit yet, possibly not until October.

Guest Cool Thinker

Also worth noting that those are not the Council's plans. Those are just some drawings that the architect Mr Halliday has come up with of his own accord. The Council will not be announcing their plans for a bit yet, possibly not until October.

Apparently it has triggered there imagination whatever that means. Sir Ian has said that this is the last chance or he will spend the money. Once the money is spent Sir Ian will give up with UTG.

Why hasnt he given up already? 

Ian Wood has long been obsessed with developing the area of Union Terrace Gardens. He had a huge model of it in his office for over 20 years. This was not a new idea that he had, he just came up with the 'Civic Square' (later to become CGP) when he did because he realised the the Peacock Visual Arts plan was looking likely to go ahead, and that would have ruined his long held dream. The CGP may have been binned, but for him that was just a means to an end, and it did its job of stopping the PVA and leaving the site available. His quest for development continues...

Guest Cool Thinker

He's not going to spunk 50 mill on covering over a railway line when it leaves a massive chunk of real estate next to it (UTG) which he can procure for free simply by building something shite on it.

Throughout this thread it constantly amazed me how much people think 50 million clams can actually buy when it comes to a big engineering job such as the things proposed.

It was a compromise the park stays but the coat of arms in the grass goes.

He's not going to spunk 50 mill on covering over a railway line when it leaves a massive chunk of real estate next to it (UTG) which he can procure for free simply by building something shite on it.

Throughout this thread it constantly amazed me how much people think 50 million clams can actually buy when it comes to a big engineering job such as the things proposed.

How could he procure UTG for free? Yer speakin shite, loon.