aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
scott.wright

Union Terrace Gardens

i have read the discussion my dear friend, just havent been assed to go through the "fucking links" as you so gently put it! and the points i have posted have been general points regarding diferent areas of the discussion. no wander there looking to put friendly people like yourself underneath the new square!

"This landmark development will become a creative powerhouse for the North-east. From dance and the visual arts to new media and education, the centre will be home to the very best in contemporary arts practice. A vibrant addition to the North-east's cultural landscape, the new centre will welcome world-class talent to the city, give a focus for local creativity and provide the region with an international centre for excellence."

sounds very much similar to Trumps vision of his development only his is about golf and tourism.

i have read the discussion my dear friend, just havent been assed to go through the "fucking links" as you so gently put it! and the points i have posted have been general points regarding diferent areas of the discussion. no wander there looking to put friendly people like yourself underneath the new square!

"This landmark development will become a creative powerhouse for the North-east. From dance and the visual arts to new media and education, the centre will be home to the very best in contemporary arts practice. A vibrant addition to the North-east's cultural landscape, the new centre will welcome world-class talent to the city, give a focus for local creativity and provide the region with an international centre for excellence."

sounds very much similar to Trumps vision of his development only his is about golf and tourism.

I'd swithered about deleting my ranty swear words...but though...fuck it. (ho ho).

I just got pissed off because this is serious, and there has been so much posted on it, and I just know that you didn't bother looking.

I'd swithered about deleting my ranty swear words...but though...fuck it. (ho ho).

I just got pissed off because this is serious, and there has been so much posted on it, and I just know that you didn't bother looking.

i understand that this is serious to you, but looking through peacocks website i was feeling like i wanted to know more? i understand its not easy to get everything down on a web site.

i have never doubted what they want to achieve, i was only stating my opinion regarding the cost of the whole project and the size of the building. just really wanted to know what it will be filled with and how it will attract visitors.

aye but i'd like to see you gain access to trump's development unless you're wearing an apron and polishing the cunt's shoes

i understand that this is serious to you, but looking through peacocks website i was feeling like i wanted to know more? i understand its not easy to get everything down on a web site.

i have never doubted what they want to achieve, i was only stating my opinion regarding the cost of the whole project and the size of the building. just really wanted to know what it will be filled with and how it will attract visitors.

so much, but not enough to phone Elly at peacock's (as it says on the site).

If you want to know, I too have questioned them about the budget - as we all know that Private / Public building works always go over budget...*cough* Scottish Parliament....

which I think is an amazing building, and worth every penny, more than say, the cost of one days warring in the middle east.

Is the Aberdeen population really going to embrace an arts centre? I think a shopping centre would be more the majority's thing with the mentality up here.

However, I'm against the arts centre and Wood's plans for the moment only on the basis of the council spending money that it could really be diverting elsewhere in the economic crisis, not just here, but everywhere.

I would like to see something like the arts centre being developed, as architecturally, it looks quite appealing to have in the centre of the city.

If Ian Wood really wants to create something then he could easily buy some shit land down by the harbour and regenerate that, instead of infringing on the Peacocks' plans.

I wonder what would happen if, when the Council send me out their next tax bill, I send it back with a picture of me standing next to a recently purchased 42" HD TV and a note saying "Sorry, different budget"?

Do it. I want to see their reply. :up:

I have to agree with some of the points raised about council spending and the state they have gotten this city into. That said the money provided to Peacock, in my opinion, will be money well spent in the long term as there will be economic benefits to the city. There is proof out there that the cultural sector of Scotland: arts, music, theatre, brings in huge revenue.

And Dave, do you have a governing body that tells you how you can and can't spend your cash? No? then you don't have different budgets for different purchases. The council 'do' have a number of budgets and they can't simply chop and change how they spend. Although I have a feeling that ACC have managed to fuck that up.

Believe me I do see the arguments against the Art Centre and the state of Aberdeen concerns me, a lot, but...

:)

Oh and I was quite impressed with Stuart Milnes big new billboard at the Triple Kirks claiming, 'watch this space, New office development coming soon'. Gotta love the timingo_O

to clarify peacock is a non for profit organisation that is mainly funded through the scottish arts council (your pocket as you rightly say) + has been for decades, however

income is also generated through workshops, training, studio rental, venue facilities, printing, framing, design + digital services etc etc and obviously with a new central building/landmark all of these areas will look to expand operations considerably... not to mention mayor bar/restaurant facilities on a beautiful location in Aberdeen + opened up 365 to THE PUBLIC

plus there is the inclusion of whitespace + and the citymoves dance set-up so already a massive amount of folk who would be using and investing in it daily

yes no business is full-poof but comparing it to the past problems of LT is truly ignorant of what PVA has done since the 70s and has no relevance in suggesting "future handouts" etc... that's Primary 6 debating techniques at its best so congrats on that one

not all the trees are to be cut down... 6 as far as i know - slightly less devastating that a 5acre x 60ft concrete brick i'd imagine

there is corporate sponsorship involved in the funding

"A building completely out of keeping with the architecture of the surrounding area which may well be lying vacant and derelict within a decade. Wow, great deal."

holy f*ck!!! i take it you were on the planning board in the 1970s aye?? i'm sorry but unless you are 84yrs of age (and still a virgin) that really deserves "fucking backward muppet" as a response but i shall not lower the tone

to clarify peacock is a non for profit organisation that is mainly funded through the scottish arts council (your pocket as you rightly say) + has been for decades, however

income is also generated through workshops, training, studio rental, venue facilities, printing, framing, design + digital services etc etc and obviously with a new central building/landmark all of these areas will look to expand operations considerably... not to mention mayor bar/restaurant facilities on a beautiful location in Aberdeen + opened up 365 to THE PUBLIC

plus there is the inclusion of whitespace + and the citymoves dance set-up so already a massive amount of folk who would be using and investing in it daily

yes no business is full-poof but comparing it to the past problems of LT is truly ignorant of what PVA has done since the 70s and has no relevance in suggesting "future handouts" etc... that's Primary 6 debating techniques at its best so congrats on that one

not all the trees are to be cut down... 6 as far as i know - slightly less devastating that a 5acre x 60ft concrete brick i'd imagine

there is corporate sponsorship involved in the funding

"A building completely out of keeping with the architecture of the surrounding area which may well be lying vacant and derelict within a decade. Wow, great deal."

holy f*ck!!! i take it you were on the planning board in the 1970s aye?? i'm sorry but unless you are 84yrs of age (and still a virgin) that really deserves "fucking backward muppet" as a response but i shall not lower the tone

Looks like we could be backing a winner here then!!!?(

Looks like we could be backing a winner here then!!!?(

sharp, witty... you been watching your bobby davro dvds again?

the point is this organisation has gone from strength to strength for longer than most dullards have been alive on this forum... so the 3 mil (yes a very large amount) is for the building project and not ongoing running costs

again brando, i'd give trump a call and don't forget your boot polish

The reason i posted that previous comment is that you seem really pissed off with things! (life?)

i just dont get all this putting down comments that dont agree with yours, by trying to insult people!

the forums are for people to express opinions? you dont promote a great advert for the development!

but hey, thats just my opinion.

Thing is Aberdeen does need this Art Centre, and I'm surprised that it has taken this long and still things are getting stalled. The rest of the country is moving forwards and developing their cultures and nurturing their creative industries. Glasgow has long since shed it's Industrial heritage and through artist run spaces and art centres like Transmission, Tramway, the CCA, Goma, The Modern Instutute (Among many, many more) to develop the city culturally on an international level, the Glasgow International is fast becoming one of the big global art festivals, the Edinburgh Festival is world famous, and Dundee, since the opening of the DCA is becoming more culturally creative and has become very attractive on the cultural map.

Aberdeen doesn't have any culture, because it has never needed it because of oil money keeping the economy going. But increasingly all we have are identical bars, chain shops and restraunts, with an ever decreasing signs of independence or individuality. Union Street is half-empty as shops move out into large malls or just get killed with competition from bigger stores, it isn't an attractive place for the city to be in. All you can do here is Drink, Eat or Shop. And while it has gotten by with this money-orientated culture when other cities have looked to expression, somehow the city council has lost 50million quid. (isn't it strange how Mr Wood's offer is exactly the same as the council deficit?)

Since I have come to Aberdeen, in my time at Grays as a student and now as staff I have seen dozens of incredibly talented artists pass through the school and immediatelly leave the city. They leave because there is simply nothing to keep people here, there are more opportunities to make their work and gain employment further south, for a city to expand culturally it needs creative people to make things happen, to think slightly differently, do crazy things and make the city more exciting to the benefit of all, its a difficult situation to face.

In recent years an expanding group of graduates and artists have decided to stick around, myself included, to give Aberdeen a chance because it has so much potential for cultural growth, mostly due to the whisperings that have been going around about Peacocks and the subsequent publication of the plans, but also because of initiatives like Project Slogan which have sprung up due to the increasing number of artists, but if this project falls through we all loose. If the Art Centre doesnt happen in Union Terrace gardens it is unlikelly to happen anywhere else, and Peacocks will probably cease to exist. Without an organisation of Peacocks level committed to the furthering of contemporary art the structure of the little scene we are building here will fall apart.

But then again maybe I am wrong and maybe people who say we don't need an Art Centre are right. And you know, probably for the next few years Aberdeen will continue to do pretty well on the black gold. But when the oil industry has sucked the city dry and moved on what exactly will there be left? The artists will probably all have gone south finally listening to that instruction I've seen many times on these boards for outsiders "if you don't like it: LEAVE!"

• Upvote 1

Thing is Aberdeen does need this Art Centre, and I'm surprised that it has taken this long and still things are getting stalled. The rest of the country is moving forwards and developing their cultures and nurturing their creative industries.

The rest of the country doesn't have dozy councils who couldn't organise a budget if their lives depended on it!

Thing is Aberdeen does need this Art Centre, and I'm surprised that it has taken this long and still things are getting stalled. The rest of the country is moving forwards and developing their cultures and nurturing their creative industries. Glasgow has long since shed it's Industrial heritage and through artist run spaces and art centres like Transmission, Tramway, the CCA, Goma, The Modern Instutute (Among many, many more) to develop the city culturally on an international level, the Glasgow International is fast becoming one of the big global art festivals, the Edinburgh Festival is world famous, and Dundee, since the opening of the DCA is becoming more culturally creative and has become very attractive on the cultural map.

Aberdeen doesn't have any culture, because it has never needed it because of oil money keeping the economy going. But increasingly all we have are identical bars, chain shops and restraunts, with an ever decreasing signs of independence or individuality. Union Street is half-empty as shops move out into large malls or just get killed with competition from bigger stores, it isn't an attractive place for the city to be in. All you can do here is Drink, Eat or Shop. And while it has gotten by with this money-orientated culture when other cities have looked to expression, somehow the city council has lost 50million quid. (isn't it strange how Mr Wood's offer is exactly the same as the council deficit?)

Since I have come to Aberdeen, in my time at Grays as a student and now as staff I have seen dozens of incredibly talented artists pass through the school and immediatelly leave the city. They leave because there is simply nothing to keep people here, there are more opportunities to make their work and gain employment further south, for a city to expand culturally it needs creative people to make things happen, to think slightly differently, do crazy things and make the city more exciting to the benefit of all, its a difficult situation to face.

In recent years an expanding group of graduates and artists have decided to stick around, myself included, to give Aberdeen a chance because it has so much potential for cultural growth, mostly due to the whisperings that have been going around about Peacocks and the subsequent publication of the plans, but also because of initiatives like Project Slogan which have sprung up due to the increasing number of artists, but if this project falls through we all loose. If the Art Centre doesnt happen in Union Terrace gardens it is unlikelly to happen anywhere else, and Peacocks will probably cease to exist. Without an organisation of Peacocks level committed to the furthering of contemporary art the structure of the little scene we are building here will fall apart.

But then again maybe I am wrong and maybe people who say we don't need an Art Centre are right. And you know, probably for the next few years Aberdeen will continue to do pretty well on the black gold. But when the oil industry has sucked the city dry and moved on what exactly will there be left? The artists will probably all have gone south finally listening to that instruction I've seen many times on these boards for outsiders "if you don't like it: LEAVE!"

*applauding loudly*

Also, in no way can the design for the art centre be aesthetically linked with any/most of the new developments that the council have approved since since the 60's. I for one think that design and placement within the area will be rather lovely!

And you know, probably for the next few years Aberdeen will continue to do pretty well on the black gold. But when the oil industry has sucked the city dry and moved on what exactly will there be left? The artists will probably all have gone south finally listening to that instruction I've seen many times on these boards for outsiders "if you don't like it: LEAVE!"

Pray tell, what will the arty types accomplish that will replace the oil industry if they were to have their little Arts Centre and people were tempted to stay?

I'm not for one or the other to be honest but the Arts Centre strikes me as being destined to be a funded hang out for a few persons with a superiority complex because they make films of themselves chucking bits of paper about or suchlike. See Belmont Cinema/Kilau thread and associated attitudes....

Pray tell, what will the arty types accomplish that will replace the oil industry if they were to have their little Arts Centre and people were tempted to stay?

I'm not for one or the other to be honest but the Arts Centre strikes me as being destined to be a funded hang out for a few persons with a superiority complex because they make films of themselves chucking bits of paper about or suchlike. See Belmont Cinema/Kilau thread and associated attitudes....

Neither I, nor any other artists I know think that being an artist makes them any better than anyone else who does any other job. Art isn't elitist, it is for everyone it is there bare for all to see. Most exhibitions are free, anyone can go, and Artists want their work to be seen, that is why it is exhibited. Most people think its exclusive because they think they don't understand and people fear what they don't understand. Not everyone might get or like certain works, but not everyone likes certain types of film or music, and would you still oppose council funding for a film or music venue?