aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
scott.wright

Union Terrace Gardens

I work in Union Plaza. It looks very nice from the outside, but it is pretty shabbily put together, in my opinion. An unbelievable amount of maintenance work goes on in that place.

I notice Salmond the Hutt was declaring his support for the CGP on the front of the PeeJ. Was only a matter of time.

You would think that makes it certain that any decision on TIF will be positive. Or would you? I don't know. I didn't even read the article but I think it's the case that if it's a yes vote then the TIF application would be submitted to the Scottish Government.

It could be that part of the problem is that people don't actually know all the ramifications.

522377548-83e0b5d60a85862f11c74c16c04fa9d9.4f443e10-full.jpg

A presentation by the three sides involved in the project, those who are for the City Gardens Project (the web), those against the City Gardens Project and one who will look to answer question on the financial side of the issue.

This could be the last time that anyone will get any real information about the gardens before the referendum's due in, so it could be pretty crucial!

It'd be great if folk could go! It's open to everyone and there'll be a question and answer session after everyone's presented their case, so it'll be good for some extra information.

• Upvote 2

I think Union Square is a lovely, lovely building. The shops inside (namely the Apple Store and that big Starbucks, as well as the cinema and a number of the restaurants) mostly appeal to me and my age group - students - though, so my opinion may be skewed. I like how it connects to the train station too. While I understand it's not the most popular hangout for a lot of people on this site I still think it was definitely a good move and has generally benefitted Aberdeen, a good part of that because of the implementation of the train station.

CGP does not have a train station and therefore can't boast that link; to be honest I think that that's going to prove the difference.

• Upvote 1

I work in Union Plaza. It looks very nice from the outside, but it is pretty shabbily put together, in my opinion. An unbelievable amount of maintenance work goes on in that place.

I FUCKING LOVE BEING RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Union Plaza is Union Square, right?

xx

No its the office block near the music hall. Like the road up that goes up where peckhams is on union street

More misinformation yesterday - The Holiday Inn took out a full page ad in support of the project, asking if we want Aberdeen to be

"possibly the only city in the world to refuse a gift of £182M to improve the city?"

It takes a special kind of spin to turn a high risk £150 million loan in a £182 million 'gift'. Complaints have gone in to the Advertising Standards Authority, but the damage is done.

• Upvote 1

Yeah the advert in the paper yesterday was highlighting about how all of this is going to cost us no money at all, i wouldnt mind this going ahead if its really what the people want, but the absolute bullshit spin thats being put on it all is sickening, its like we are not allowed to say no here, the powers have decided we must have this, even if we dont want it. I refuse to believe Aberdeen is going to be left behind without this development.

I think Union Square is a lovely, lovely building. The shops inside (namely the Apple Store and that big Starbucks, as well as the cinema and a number of the restaurants) mostly appeal to me and my age group - students - though, so my opinion may be skewed. I like how it connects to the train station too. While I understand it's not the most popular hangout for a lot of people on this site I still think it was definitely a good move and has generally benefitted Aberdeen, a good part of that because of the implementation of the train station.

CGP does not have a train station and therefore can't boast that link; to be honest I think that that's going to prove the difference.

I go to Union Square quite frequently and have only been on a train once since it was built. The reason US is so successful is that it’s a decent place to be, the restaurants are good and the standard of retailer there is quite high. It’s definitely been a massive plus for the city although most people on here don’t seem to think so.

The restaurants are fucking shit. Aberdeen has SO many locally owned, amazing restaurants. Going to TGI Friday and spending £15 on a fucking burger is retarded when literally 5 minutes from there you can get 2 courses for £23 or 3 for £28 at Moonfish.

Incorporating the bus and train station to the shopping centre was a really good idea and there are some good shops (as well as some SHIT. What the fuck is that online fucking shop they have next to costa??). There are also still a fucktonne of units left empty which IMHO says a great deal.

xx

Yeah the advert in the paper yesterday was highlighting about how all of this is going to cost us no money at all, i wouldnt mind this going ahead if its really what the people want, but the absolute bullshit spin thats being put on it all is sickening, its like we are not allowed to say no here, the powers have decided we must have this, even if we dont want it. I refuse to believe Aberdeen is going to be left behind without this development.

The people against the redevelopment have been guilty of an absurd amount of spin as well. All that bullshit about concrete squares, giant car parks, Ian Wood making millions out of it blah blah blah. A quick run through this thread can provide a good example.

The restaurants are fucking shit. Aberdeen has SO many locally owned, amazing restaurants. Going to TGI Friday and spending £15 on a fucking burger is retarded when literally 5 minutes from there you can get 2 courses for £23 or 3 for £28 at Moonfish.

Incorporating the bus and train station to the shopping centre was a really good idea and there are some good shops (as well as some SHIT. What the fuck is that online fucking shop they have next to costa??). There are also still a fucktonne of units left empty which IMHO says a great deal.

xx

And yet the place is heaving all weekend....

I do enjoy the restaurants and the Starbucks and the Boots. But that's about it. Hobby Craft and Outfit are alright too but they're not even INSIDE the building.

The people against the redevelopment have been guilty of an absurd amount of spin as well. All that bullshit about concrete squares, giant car parks, Ian Wood making millions out of it blah blah blah. A quick run through this thread can provide a good example.

I havent seen any page spread adverts from those opposed, i havent read any emails sent out from directors of companies urging people to vote no, so why am i getting bombarded by those pushing for it? Our boss, in a sales meeting this morning asked us if we had all voted and made the "right" choice in it all. Its all complete bullshit, i would have maybe bought into the whole thing if it was being forced down my throat on a constant basis by rich people with power.

Union Square is great, the restaurants are terrible except 1 or 2 and nothing different to what you can get anywhere else in town, but the empty units worrys me, if they cannot attract businesses into a brand new building that is as you say heaving all weekend then what happens when the buzz dies down?

In all honesty he speaks as much shite as you do, id rather make my own mind up than follow orders like a lemming. You and others may have been blinded and brainwashed over this, lucky that a lot of us are not as stupid.

So, how does that claim square with the fact that the plan as initially proposed and promoted by Wood/ASCEF was just that, a concrete square sat atop a shopping centre and car park?