aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
scott.wright

Union Terrace Gardens

I blame Charles Michie the Chemist!

now that was leftfield.

I want to know - is it going to be a "shopping heart" - or a space for reflection, ideas, contemplation, celebration...and a fucking whole heap of "..tions" that mean more than buying more shit....because how many retail parks do we have now? how many shopping centres do we have now?

Perhaps we will get a Trump Tunnel (long, smelly and brown) that is linked to the heart of "the winning shopping centre of the bloody turf war of 2010".

I think I should take up creative writing, it's so much more fun than sticking to evidence!...

love it.

50 bazillion pounds spent on a city centre civic square and then watch as the entire cultural sector of Aberdeen moves south! Oh but we will probably get a lovely new sundial sculpture and pishy fountain so that'll be okay

the timing of this proposal is quite unbelievable, bizarre + frankly completely untrustworthy

are we led to believe that a businessman as astute at Wood, who has previously (unsuccessfully) attempted to spearhead regen projects in the gardens, has just realised that he wants to give it another go a mere few weeks after PVA secured the last needed monies from the public purse??

we're damn right to have conspiracies

Wood is riddled with madness to suggest a glorified concrete superbowl - that would be more fitting for the Third Reich to march on - is what the folk want here...and let's face it, will he still be alive to see his legacy complete in some 10 odd yrs?? what with the AFC nuclear warheads parading on the back of red + white tanks while locals watch on with glee as their pets' lay one out on an asphalt "central park"

I'm sorry Wood but reminiscing on the past glories of Union St as a need for a heart is frankly pathetic... it's riddled with pish because the energy sector's greed has ignored culture + failed the people for decades.... and why one main plaza?? why not 2, 3 or 4 more manageable sites so people connect with every aspect of the city.. be original for fucks sake!

what about helping with the planned civic area on the existing council building?

what about the castlegate? or the crap at the beach... hutcheon st warehouses

what about all the services, schools etc that have all be wiped out up here?

why is it your vision or nothing????

why screw the art project with an absurdly expensive feasibility study?

why say PVA are in full support when they are clearly worried?

the peacock led project IS the perfect plan to bring the gardens back into play and give us a cultural injection for ALL to enjoy.. so put your energies elsewhere i say, we welcome this amazing philanthropic gesture but CUT THE SHITE, TALK THE TRUTH + DON'T BLACKMAIL THE CITY

michie + the secret hand-shakers will be ousted.. the fight is on

Yup, looks like it has started already:

Sir Ians 50m pledge for city - Evening Express

Looks like an awfull lot of civil engineering to squeeze out of 100m these days I thought(and I stand ready to be corrected here) that there is a Victorian brick built sewer and possibly the whole Denburn under the Gardens running parallel to the railway line. I remember about 4 meters of it collapsed under platform 6 north at the station some years back.

Mr Wood's idea here is very ambitious even he says that he doesnt know if it is actually do-able yet so why bother. His 50m would pay for about 6 HMT sized extensions(the new glass and chinese granite bit) and that project was completed 4 years ago.

I wouldnt know if its a good or bad idea though cause not even Mr Wood knows what the actual thing is gonna look like yet . Oh and its a damn shame that Peacock gets put in this position. More so if the whole thing turns out to be a millionaires Brunell fantasy.

Ee

the timing of this proposal is quite unbelievable, bizarre + frankly completely untrustworthy

are we led to believe that a businessman as astute at Wood, who has previously (unsuccessfully) attempted to spearhead regen projects in the gardens, has just realised that he wants to give it another go a mere few weeks after PVA secured the last needed monies from the public purse??

we're damn right to have conspiracies

Wood is riddled with madness to suggest a glorified concrete superbowl - that would be more fitting for the Third Reich to march on - is what the folk want here...and let's face it, will he still be alive to see his legacy complete in some 10 odd yrs?? what with the AFC nuclear warheads parading on the back of red + white tanks while locals watch on with glee as their pets' lay one out on an asphalt "central park"

I'm sorry Wood but reminiscing on the past glories of Union St as a need for a heart is frankly pathetic... it's riddled with pish because the energy sector's greed has ignored culture + failed the people for decades.... and why one main plaza?? why not 2, 3 or 4 more manageable sites so people connect with every aspect of the city.. be original for fucks sake!

what about helping with the planned civic area on the existing council building?

what about the castlegate? or the crap at the beach... hutcheon st warehouses

what about all the services, schools etc that have all be wiped out up here?

why is it your vision or nothing????

why screw the art project with an absurdly expensive feasibility study?

why say PVA are in full support when they are clearly worried?

the peacock led project IS the perfect plan to bring the gardens back into play and give us a cultural injection for ALL to enjoy.. so put your energies elsewhere i say, we welcome this amazing philanthropic gesture but CUT THE SHITE, TALK THE TRUTH + DON'T BLACKMAIL THE CITY

michie + the secret hand-shakers will be ousted.. the fight is on

This could earn you a wee fee from the EE for letter of the week!

The timing of this announcement is fucking incredible. So trump gets a yes and suddenly others want in on the act, with strings attached. Frankly it's fucked up!!!!!! I feel for everyone at Peacock at the moment. o_O

And for the record raising Union Trc Gardens to street level with or without a new arts centre is a bad idea!!!!!!

we could maybe get a big statue of sir alex ferguson placed on the site if it goes ahead?

would be quite nice too if there was an area for the ice rink to be held in winter, and also the european market would be great in a big square.

peacock could even have a wee stall if they want to raise funds, win win for everyone.

WOOD SQUARE the pride of aberdeen!

Interesting, interesting.

I'm not surprised in the slightest that Peacock are upset. Effectively, this will take away any opportunity for the organisation to be at the forefront of the Arts in Aberdeen - and although they may very well be accomodated in any development, it's unlikely that it'll scream 'PEACOCK VISUAL ARTS" the way that their building will. So purely from an egotistical (and we all know how artists are egotistical) point of view, they're bound to be upset.

But on the other hand, this could be a terrifyingly good opportunity to see a huge investment into that area. It's been said repeatedly that Peacock's plans won't impact upon the gardens - so it's not going to have the same effect that these plans will. Imagine if they boldly pedestrianised Union Street, Union Terrace, Rosemount Viaduct, Broad Street and Schoolhill, creating an entire central area that was car free, with this plan as the thing that spurs it on?

Ultimately, if the plan is doable, doesn't it all boil down to whether or not Peacock should get their way over a much bigger plan that would do much, much more for Aberdeen as a whole?

Guest calumunderkills

I'm not surprised in the slightest that Peacock are upset. Effectively, this will take away any opportunity for the organisation to be at the forefront of the Arts in Aberdeen - and although they may very well be accomodated in any development, it's unlikely that it'll scream 'PEACOCK VISUAL ARTS" the way that their building will. So purely from an egotistical (and we all know how artists are egotistical) point of view, they're bound to be upset.

But on the other hand, this could be a terrifyingly good opportunity to see a huge investment into that area. It's been said repeatedly that Peacock's plans won't impact upon the gardens - so it's not going to have the same effect that these plans will. Imagine if they boldly pedestrianised Union Street, Union Terrace, Rosemount Viaduct, Broad Street and Schoolhill, creating an entire central area that was car free, with this plan as the thing that spurs it on?

Ultimately, if the plan is doable, doesn't it all boil down to whether or not Peacock should get their way over a much bigger plan that would do much, much more for Aberdeen as a whole?

I'm all for city centre development - I don't think there's enough of a "centre" to Aberdeen or as suggested further up "link up" between the different parts of the centre.

But I think boldly pedestrianising all these places would be complete madness from an infrastructure point of view. The traffic in the centre of Aberdeen can be horrendous at times, if you took away some of the main routes through the centre like this you'd be asking for trouble.

I do think doing something with the space above Union Terrace Gardens is a good idea though, but totally fucking Peacock Visual Arts over isn't the best way to go about it.

I hold my hands up and say, other than this thread, I don't know much about PVA's plans etc, but I think that some sort of compromise between the Wood idea and the PVA still getting their centre - but Wood would have to put some cash up to keep PVA afloat since he's royally buggering them up just to look into doing some sort of development. Seems very very harsh.

You forgetting the other 50 million that will need to be found to make his plan work? He has already said that some, most, of this would need to come from the government, local and national. Now that's a good idea at this point in time. The ACC barely managed to decide on the 3million for PVA...

My patience with this city is down to very little at the moment!

Somebody didn't want PVA to happen and someone has got someone to help kill that plan. And given all previous evidence and current circumstances Ian Woods idea will NEVER happen either.

Somebody didn't want PVA to happen and someone has got someone to help kill that plan. And given all previous evidence and current circumstances Ian Woods idea will NEVER happen either.

Do you think the CIA are involved? Or Cuba?

:up:o_O:swearing:

Yup, the Gardens will remain a darkened haven for the Aberdeen underbelly.

The design for the original gardens plans are still up around the area on those billboard info things... Looks shit!

*starts looking for property in Glasgow (anywhere but here)

Guest Tam o' Shantie

do you know what cost about 10 pounds an hour and help to improve union terrace gardens?

a couple of patrolling wardens. why would anyone willingly hang out there right now, knowing that all you're doing is increasing the likelyhood of being hassled or intimided by gangs of winos?

• Upvote 1

More than just somebody, this is purely a time wasting exercise so that Peacocks run out of time & their wonderful plans can't happen

The Castelgate or The Green would be better areas for the Wood statue & development, or is that the wrong way round..........

Guest calumunderkills
I think it is a brilliant idea, especially if you have kids. It will be more accessible for buggies and safer.

Nicky Strachan, 31, health and safety manager, Pitmedden.

From today's EE. Name familiar Lucky Rathen...?

But I think boldly pedestrianising all these places would be complete madness from an infrastructure point of view. The traffic in the centre of Aberdeen can be horrendous at times, if you took away some of the main routes through the centre like this you'd be asking for trouble.

I could be horrifically wrong on this, but I believe the Denburn dual carriageway, the South College Street dual carriageway, the 'roundabout' of Bridge Street/Wapping Street/Guild Street and the proposed Berryden dual carriageway are all part of a masterplan to divert traffic away from Union Street. It's been an aim of the council's for years and years to eventually pedestrianise Union Street - and when you think about it, there are plenty of alternatives for traffic. You're right, the traffic can be horrific - but this may actually alleviate things by providing higher-capacity corridors through the city.

For instance, at the minute, Market Street is pretty much the bottleneck where it meets the Inner Ring Road. Pedestrianise that and subsequently ban traffic from heading from the junction towards the station (it can go via South College Street or Denburn) and voila, traffic will flow a hell of a lot easier.

Guest calumunderkills
Surprise fucking surprise. I'll tell you the lottery numbers next.

You back Sir Ians gardens revamp - Evening Express

I read that in the paper, and you've got to say the EE approach is quite poor. Massive YES! on the front cover, saying "you back sir Ian...." then it says "but only just" - a lot of people won't really notice the bit saying that it was a narrow victory. Same for in the article itself "North-East throws its weight behind proposals" or words to that effect, then it goes onto say that 53% are in favour. Hardly "throwing their weight behind it if 47% are against it - and that's pretty flawed anyway as it's an EE poll - were any of you asked...? I certainly wasn't!

Not that I'm dead against the proposals - just pointing out the shit journalism.

Guest treader.

so, am I right to say...Goodbye sporadic games of football in Union Terrace Gardens? If it's all gonna be street level pedestrianised stuff...

Those were the kind of numbers that got Obama elected, aren't they?

There's a big difference between 53% of 700 and 53% of 125 million.